Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going for a reccie next month to Melbourne, any advice?

Going for a reccie next month to Melbourne, any advice?

Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

m4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant future
Default Going for a reccie next month to Melbourne, any advice?

I'm going for a quick 8 day mission to Melbourne next month, not a lot of time i know but i wanted to basically get an idea of the place and see if it's something we want to take further. We've got our visa's at this stage.
Can anyone recommend anything i should definately do while there, are there things you didn't do when you went for a look, places to go, people to see anything to give me an idea in such a short space of time of what it would be like to live there?

Cheers,

Mat
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Going for a reccie next month to Melbourne, any advice?

haven't gotten there myself yet so will be watching this thread also. In the mean time have a look at this thread

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...p?showforum=27
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

m4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant futurem4t_lee has a brilliant future

Thanks Mairead really usefull info with lots more places to go
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:09 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

if you get chance head down to sorrento and go on the snorkelling/swimming with dolphins trip it's about $100 each but well worth it
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:22 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m4t_lee
I'm going for a quick 8 day mission to Melbourne next month, not a lot of time i know but i wanted to basically get an idea of the place and see if it's something we want to take further. We've got our visa's at this stage.
Can anyone recommend anything i should definately do while there, are there things you didn't do when you went for a look, places to go, people to see anything to give me an idea in such a short space of time of what it would be like to live there?

Cheers,

Mat
Hope you have booked accommodation as the F1 circus hits town and there is sweet FA left anywhere in Melbourne or surrounds, as I have found out.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

djamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant future

8 days isn't a great deal of time to take in all that Melbourne encompasses but the personal experience should help you reach a decision.

I'd look at three things:

Firstly the CBD as this is where you're more than likely to end up working. It's not on the scale of Birmingham (I note you're in Warwickshire) but you're still likely to be commuting in to work via train or car. Driving in some areas is tedious. The train system is pretty smart though and you can get out of the centre pretty quickly, very easily.

I'd then have a look at some of the suburbs mentioned in other posts about places to live. The prices are rising pretty sharpish so people are living further and further out if they're buying without an existing investment to fund the purchase. It's a big sprawling metropolis so pin down a few places beforehand as it will save a lot of time.

Thirdly, have a couple of days being a holidaymaker and get down either the east or west peninsulas as this is where you're likely to spend your leisure time. The size of this country means you'll be more state-centric for 95% of your year. This took me a while to adjust to when in the UK you can just nip down to London, York, Wales or wherever at the drop of a hat.

I'd also make a big effort to speak to the people who reside here to get feedback on Melbourne. Arrange to meet in person with some of the subscribers to this website, fast information for you. The adjustment to how laid back people are over here, the difference in the pace of life, the values people have won't come across in text format alone.

Personally, I love living here because it's easy going, people will talk to you regardless, the weather is a bonus, the city hosts great sporting events and you have everything you need in one place.

Good luck