Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going to melbourne, never been there before.......!!!!

Going to melbourne, never been there before.......!!!!

Old May 12th 2005, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

samer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura about
Default Going to melbourne, never been there before.......!!!!

Hello,

YES, i am going to melbourne early next month, and i have never been there at all .

Appreciate any advices on Housing, suberbs, Mobiles, internet......

i had made a lot of reseach on the net but a word from people who had really exrerinced this is much better.

Cheers,

Sam

Old May 12th 2005, 9:42 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Going to melbourne, never been there before.......!!!!

Originally Posted by samer
Hello,

YES, i am going to melbourne early next month, and i have never been there at all .

i had made a lot of reseach on the net but a word from people who had really exrerinced this is much better.

Cheers,

Sam

It's a city - has houses, suburbs, phones, internet - just like lots of others and much the same as most other western civilization cities.
Old May 12th 2005, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam

We came to melbourne in Dec 2004 having never visited before. We came on a leap of faith because of my Husbands job, and have never looked back - we love it.

Like you we did lots of research on the net bought every book avail, and I spent alot of time on here - the info was invaluable.

We did not have the chance to do a reccie, but a place is very different when you are living there and having to deal with the trials and tribulations of day to day life, as to when you are here for a 2 - 3 week hoiliday.

with regard to housing and suburbs, it all depends on what you are looking for, to be near the city, if you have children (schooling), and of course budget house prices vary from suburb to suburb, and there are alot of suburbs, Melbourne is huge!! Perhaps you will not know till you get here where you will settle, as then you can get a feel for it.

If you need any specific info let me know or post on here I am sure there will lots of people only too pleased to offer there wealth of information.

good luck

caz
Old May 12th 2005, 11:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Try using the search funtion on here for anything then come back with more specifics, its easier to help poeople out that way
Old May 12th 2005, 11:46 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by caz41
Hi Sam

with regard to housing and suburbs, it all depends on what you are looking for, to be near the city, if you have children (schooling), and of course budget house prices vary from suburb to suburb, and there are alot of suburbs, Melbourne is huge!!

caz
Melbourne is one of the largest cities in the world in terms of size as the suburbs stretch out for miles.

Old May 13th 2005, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Melbourne has more nightclubs per head than any other city in the world
Old May 13th 2005, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

not that I am speaking from experience, I just read it somewhere
Old May 13th 2005, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

prem_career is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Cheers,

Sam

Sam

I planned to be in Melbourne this July, like to know how you go about.

Have you gone through this Migrant settlement information kit for Victoria available in dimia site.

Regards
Prem
Old May 14th 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

samer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Megalania
It's a city - has houses, suburbs, phones, internet - just like lots of others and much the same as most other western civilization cities.

Nice one , did you check if they have some other attractions like coffe shops cause i really need one right now.....just got out of bed

keep the happy face...

Cheers

Sam
Old May 14th 2005, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Going to melbourne, never been there before.......!!!!

Hi Sam

We came to melbourne in Dec 2004 having never visited before. We came on a leap of faith because of my Husbands job, and have never looked back - we love it.

Like you we did lots of research on the net bought every book avail, and I spent alot of time on here - the info was invaluable.

We did not have the chance to do a reccie, but a place is very different when you are living there and having to deal with the trials and tribulations of day to day life, as to when you are here for a 2 - 3 week hoiliday.

with regard to housing and suburbs, it all depends on what you are looking for, to be near the city, if you have children (schooling), and of course budget house prices vary from suburb to suburb, and there are alot of suburbs, Melbourne is huge!! Perhaps you will not know till you get here where you will settle, as then you can get a feel for it.

If you need any specific info let me know or post on here I am sure there will lots of people only too pleased to offer there wealth of information.

good luck

caz

Hello all,

it seem that my post was not specific enough.

Dear, CAZ41 Thanks sharing that with us.

Dear hevs, aussie73, shellfish, prem_career, thanks all.

I had searched alot and now i am swamped with information and links. :scared:
what i am looking for are some hints, experience sharing.....etc.

I'll try to make my post more specified:

So

I'll be moving to MEL early next month, i am single , work as an electronic engineer in the field of medical devices.

- any body recommend a suberb were i can get accomedation Near CBD ( or easy to travel to/from ), i read that carlton, or fitzroy are good, what about cuborg?

- what about GSM providers, what is the best company to get pay as you go line?

Cheers,

SAM
Old May 14th 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Hello all,

it seem that my post was not specific enough.

Dear, CAZ41 Thanks sharing that with us.

Dear hevs, aussie73, shellfish, prem_career, thanks all.

I had searched alot and now i am swamped with information and links. :scared:
what i am looking for are some hints, experience sharing.....etc.

I'll try to make my post more specified:

So

I'll be moving to MEL early next month, i am single , work as an electronic engineer in the field of medical devices.

- any body recommend a suberb were i can get accomedation Near CBD ( or easy to travel to/from ), i read that carlton, or fitzroy are good, what about cuborg?

- what about GSM providers, what is the best company to get pay as you go line?

Cheers,

SAM
Your welcome. Carlton, fitzroy cobourg all near to CBD cannot give you much info on them other that lots of italian rests in carlton and a good ozzie rules team, I am sure other posters will be able to help though.

good luck

Caz
Old May 14th 2005, 10:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Your welcome. Carlton, fitzroy cobourg all near to CBD cannot give you much info on them other that lots of italian rests in carlton and a good ozzie rules team, I am sure other posters will be able to help though.

good luck

Caz
After last nights game I wouldn't call Carlton a good team but I know what you mean Caz

You would love Carlton Sammy, near the city, great food in Lygon street & the Melbourne Mafia thrown in to.
Old May 14th 2005, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by prem_career
Sam

I planned to be in Melbourne this July, like to know how you go about.

Have you gone through this Migrant settlement information kit for Victoria available in dimia site.

Regards
Prem

Have you read this. Had a quick look after reading your link. I had to laugh at the section about 'Australian customs'

Thanks for that.

Old May 14th 2005, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bordy
After last nights game I wouldn't call Carlton a good team but I know what you mean Caz

You would love Carlton Sammy, near the city, great food in Lygon street & the Melbourne Mafia thrown in to.
Hi bordy

not me that supports them my son, very disapointed - we all support different teams in our house, I am a bombers supporter.
Old May 14th 2005, 11:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi bordy

not me that supports them my son, very disapointed - we all support different teams in our house, I am a bombers supporter.

Good on ya Caz, I knew as soon as I saw you that you were a sensible woman.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.