Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Going Home Giving Up?

Is Going Home Giving Up?

Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:02 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Is Going Home Giving Up?

Hey Everyone,

Well I just don't know what's wrong with me at the moment but having been in Melbourne almost 4 years and never looking back, I now keep thinking about going back to the U.K. I've always missed things about Blighty but also remembered why we left and that we have so much more here (in every sense) than we ever had in the U.K - Good jobs, nice car, fab friends, great house and generally a very nice life but since my son was born last year I constantly find myself thinking about leaving Oz.

The irony is that we moved here so that our children would have a better life and I am sure that would still be the case. Our little boy has a great time here, a fab childcare centre and a wonderful nanny and lots of opportunities and prospects for the future.

On top of that, my parents are actually looking to move out here on a Contributory Parents' Visa as soon as my brother gets PR (probably early next year) and they are really the only proper family we have in the U.K that we'd see on a regular basis so I shouldn't need to worry about him not having family etc but there's still something that I can't put my finger on that makes me yearn for home.

I am trying not to focus on missing the silly things like 'Next' and 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' as well as pubs, history and culture, comedy, being a skip away from Europe and the friends we have back there as that's the sort of rose-coloured glasses outlook that gets people into trouble when reailty sets in. The reality may well be that we never see those friends or family that we miss so much and wouldn't neccessarily be able to afford trips to Europe all the time.

It's just so hard to compare things at the moment - we've been out of the U.K. for a while and I know we have probably forgotten how unhappy we were there (you tend to only remember the good things in retrospect) and I can't imagine having a better life than I already have and STILL I don't feel right! Maybe this is just because my life has changed and we are now a family rather than a couple - the last year has been pretty hard with no family to rely on when raising a bub - and we'd be even more miserable in the UK? I just can't work it out.

Add to that the fact that my husband has never been happier in his life and is thoroughlly depressed at the thought of ever going back to the UK to live (though he would do it as that's the kind of fab bloke he is )

Well, I am sure all the above are just the rantings of a mad woman and will infuriate many of you still on the hard road of visas and seeking a new life but if anyone has any advice - I'll happily accept it!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is Going Home Giving Up?

Sounds like your just having one of those days at the minute, i should think you will be fine sounds like you are very lucky lovely family great place to live and all. Keep your chin up and i think if you really wanted to go back you would, if i could give you a big hug i would do to make you feel better!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:11 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmahafryn
Hey Everyone,

Well I just don't know what's wrong with me at the moment but having been in Melbourne almost 4 years and never looking back, I now keep thinking about going back to the U.K. I've always missed things about Blighty but also remembered why we left and that we have so much more here (in every sense) than we ever had in the U.K - Good jobs, nice car, fab friends, great house and generally a very nice life but since my son was born last year I constantly find myself thinking about leaving Oz.

The irony is that we moved here so that our children would have a better life and I am sure that would still be the case. Our little boy has a great time here, a fab childcare centre and a wonderful nanny and lots of opportunities and prospects for the future.

On top of that, my parents are actually looking to move out here on a Contributory Parents' Visa as soon as my brother gets PR (probably early next year) and they are really the only proper family we have in the U.K that we'd see on a regular basis so I shouldn't need to worry about him not having family etc but there's still something that I can't put my finger on that makes me yearn for home.

I am trying not to focus on missing the silly things like 'Next' and 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' as well as pubs, history and culture, comedy, being a skip away from Europe and the friends we have back there as that's the sort of rose-coloured glasses outlook that gets people into trouble when reailty sets in. The reality may well be that we never see those friends or family that we miss so much and wouldn't neccessarily be able to afford trips to Europe all the time.

It's just so hard to compare things at the moment - we've been out of the U.K. for a while and I know we have probably forgotten how unhappy we were there (you tend to only remember the good things in retrospect) and I can't imagine having a better life than I already have and STILL I don't feel right! Maybe this is just because my life has changed and we are now a family rather than a couple - the last year has been pretty hard with no family to rely on when raising a bub - and we'd be even more miserable in the UK? I just can't work it out.

Add to that the fact that my husband has never been happier in his life and is thoroughlly depressed at the thought of ever going back to the UK to live (though he would do it as that's the kind of fab bloke he is )

Well, I am sure all the above are just the rantings of a mad woman and will infuriate many of you still on the hard road of visas and seeking a new life but if anyone has any advice - I'll happily accept it!
sorry I don't have any advice to give I haven't gone yet why don't you try the moving back to UK forum perhaps people there can help.

I wish you lots of luck though in whatever you do decide to do, maybe things will be easier when your family are there
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Babies just change your whole perspective on things. I know one of the reasons I was reluctant to relocate to here, was because I wanted share my childhood memories with my kids; family holiday on the beach in Devon, day trips to France, Train rides around Europe, the Natural History Museum, punting on the river (Parents live near Oxford) etc etc and I also think that sharing motherhood with those same people who have been with you through all the other life changes makes you feel more secure..... And the time difference means you are so isolated from those people. The cost of travel also makes me feel more isolated -- I know I can't get back every year to cuddle the new babies and have them charge around the back garden with my my kids.....Perhaps an extended holiday/stay before your parents/brother move might help!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:17 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Hey Everyone,

you're certainly not alone, don't even think "you're giving up"
what you're feeling is very real for you
i've no advice except to talk to your husband about it, and for you both to decide what is the best course of action for you as a family
best doesn't necessarily mean the tangible things, it's so much more than that

good luck with what ever you do
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:50 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say the first step (if you can afford it - time & moneywise) is to go back for a visit - preferably an extended one. Might help you work through your feelings one way or the other.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:03 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

The grass isnt always greener and fond memories of a place dont stack up to the reality in the end. I think we all have moments, but how soon we forget that you left the UK, packed up your life and made a monumental move risking everything because of reasons why you felt you could not stay.

Do you think those reasons will have just vanished if you go back ?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:06 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Centurion
The grass isnt always greener and fond memories of a place dont stack up to the reality in the end. I think we all have moments, but how soon we forget that you left the UK, packed up your life and made a monumental move risking everything because of reasons why you felt you could not stay.

but not everyone comes to Oz because they feel they could not stay in the UK, they come to try something different
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:16 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
but not everyone comes to Oz because they feel they could not stay in the UK, they come to try something different
yes some of us come just for the adventure, I personally shall try it but if I hate it I shan't stay
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Go back for a visit for sure to test out your feelings. Have you been back in the 4 years? Going back is not giving up, it may be the right decision for you but obviously it needs extensive consideration due to the expense.

I can also see that your situation is quite complicated with your husband being happy where he is and with your parents moving out here. It would be much easier to return to the UK if both of you felt the same way and you had close family to go back to over there in the long term.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:59 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies - it is nice to get some other viewpoints on my situation. I think I made it clear that I am aware of the 'grass is greener' phenomenon but you can't change the way you remember good times - only be mindful that that wasn't always the case.

We've been considering a trip back to the UK but as it's so expense and time off work is so short in supply here, it would be 3 weeks at the most and I am just not sure that would be enough? (Unless I hate it instantly which might actually be a good thing!! ) plus it'll be at Christmastime which might also warp my perspective!

Ho hum, I'll keep looking up houses in the UK and dreaming of Sainsbury's for now...
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion

Why do people always think you left another country, because you had to, or you hated the place etc .........& comments like the grass is not always greener,when someone wants to return to the place they left, this could also be said for emigrating in the first place.....
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

Hey Everyone,

Hi,
Am not sure if I can help you, but will tell you my story so far.....Me, OH and 3 kids (10, 8 2), moved to Cyprus from UK 1 year ago. My OH hates it, me I don't so much hate it, as don't want to go back (told you i might not be much help), so we now find ourselves in unfamiliar territory, cos for the first time we seem to be pulling in opposite directions.....NOT GOOD. We are a strong and very commited couple, but if you are not happy, then nothing in the world will change this, as I am slowly coming to terms with.
The problem we now face is....'now what?' .There are many reasons my OH not happy here, language, money, the dry island, being treated like a 2nd rate citizen, and nothing to do other than visit the beach, but he doesn't seem to bang on about 'missing UK', so my theory is to go to OZ.
Now we are in the very early and I mean early stages, OH has sol, so think we would be able to get a visa, however, having been here, I think he may be at the stage where he has given up altogether. In my opinion, and like I keep telling him, ALL the reasons we left ARE still there, and for you (as you have been there for 4 years) they have probably gotten worse.
I am sorry to have waffled on, and hope I haven't made things worse, I genuinely wish you all the luck in the world, and DO NOT think that they are the ramblings of a mad woman yet.......as that is what these are..rotfl
Donna.
And incidently, if any one has any useful advice for me....well I'm all ears! And have already contemplated drugging him till we get there!!!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:03 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps one of the top ten posts of all time on here in my humble opinion.

It sums up exactly the thoughts of my wife at present and I'm sure countless others on here too.

Top marks 10/10.

Do what you gotta do.

Hey Everyone,

Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

I am sorry I don't understand why you want to come back?

I intend only to return if I really can''t find a job that pays a salary I can live on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.