British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Going Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/going-home-211882/)

plumber Feb 21st 2004 2:28 am

Hi karawara88 , I too have followed some of your post's.
You say you had a problem finding employment, what was your line of work?

all best the plum.

ps Is 6 month's in WA long enough ?

dibrucewillis Feb 21st 2004 2:40 am

Re: Going Home

Hi Chris and Donna

Sorry to read your post and to hear that you have decided to come back to the UK but you can't say that you haven't give it a go.

I have certainly appreciated your informative posts and all the invaluable individual advice that you have given me.

I wish you all the best of luck for the future

Luv Diane

karawara88 Feb 21st 2004 2:51 am

Originally posted by nicholls clan
England aint all that bad, you can have the best of both worlds by going home and getting your return visa for 5 years so at least you can go back should you decide.
You will be going back at the best time when the weather is changing for the better. OZ isn't for everyone but at least you had the guts to give it a good go. Better to have tried then never to have bothered.
Good luck to you both.

ps. Can I have your campervan for a good price.
;)
Can only get a return visa for 3 months because I didnt do two years out of 5, but could apply as spouse on Donnas visa she has 4 years to come and go.

We are desperatly trying to sell van so we can get flights out. Selling it fully equipped so someone will get a good deal in Perth. As long as we raise enough for business class flights I will be happy. :D

Simone Feb 21st 2004 3:05 am

Good for you having made the decision!! :)

Sorry it didn't work out, but it's good that you now have a much clearer idea of what you want out of life!!

Good luck with the Uk and travelling!!!

And are we still getting an update about the travelling in WA??? :D Where have you guys been?

Well, good luck, have fun, and it would be great if we could get an update sometimes!! :D

best wishes,

Simone
:)

P.S. we'd love the campervan, but aren't coming out till July :( Good luck selling! You did it all up, so it must be worth more now???

karawara88 Feb 21st 2004 3:10 am

Originally posted by plumber
Hi karawara88 , I too have followed some of your post's.
You say you had a problem finding employment, what was your line of work?

all best the plum.

ps Is 6 month's in WA long enough ?
6 months in WA is plenty. :D We were going to travel East but decided after a tour of WA that really Australia is not where we want to be, I am in or was in IT but at 40 I am realistic to know jobs are far and few between for me in Australia and UK and I was under no illusions about that, however I had not expected casual work would be a problem.

The work situation for Donna was a different story as a Child care social worker / manager (and a very good one) she is very much in demand in the UK and is able to get a good rate of pay.

Here in Perth and research has shown the other states to be as bad the opportunitys are not there and the pay is abysmal. I won't comment too much on Donna as I am sure she will do her own post, all comments in this thread are my own personal views.

One thing I will add while I remember is if anyone is in Perth or coming to Perth take a trip to Guilderton. Its the nicest place in WA about an hour North of Perth and its where the Moore river meets the sea, if you have kids its excellent for swimming. we went for a night and stayed the week.:Dhttp://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/images/gil.jpg

karawara88 Feb 21st 2004 3:33 am

http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/images/pel.jpg

Apparently fishing is good in Guilderton they were catching seaweed by the ton !! the pelican just helped itself to the bait. :cool:

teach Feb 21st 2004 5:32 am

The decision you have made was probably as hard as the one to leave the UK in the first place. You have tried it, it's not for you so going home and then doing more travelling is a good decision. I wish we were there, we would buy your van. Good luck to you both in whatever you decide to do.

Hugs
Sarah

WheelsOfSteel Feb 21st 2004 6:08 am

Employment agents are full of s**t.

If a person expects to emigrate without work or a large bank account, expect to return to familiar turf or live in cardboard city.

Don't be supprised when it happens...

Have a good one...

steandleigh Feb 21st 2004 6:26 am

Hi Donna and Chris,

good luck for youe future, whatever it may bring. One thing is for sure though, the U.K is in dire need of concientious social care workers and i'm sure you'll be an asset to the field once again.

All the best and be happy. :)

Jack The Lad Feb 21st 2004 6:30 am

Sorry to hear that it hasnt work out for you.

The reasons that you stated if your first 2 posts are the reasons that we have decided to give the UK a little longer. Mortgage free, travel more ect.

Good luck in the future :)

debsy Feb 21st 2004 7:06 am

Donna & Chris , I would just like to wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do. Let us know how the travels go.

sula Feb 21st 2004 8:50 am

Originally posted by karawara88
We have made the decision to to bail out, and it feels good. After six months in WA we decided its not for us, lots of reasons for this, lack of work being one of them, on weighing up all the pros and cons we know that we have a better lifestyle in UK.

Our hopes / dreams on moving to Perth was to have a more relaxed lifestyle and not have to work 5 days a week 12 months of the year. House prices, lack of work and poor wages meant the reality was far different.

At "home" we can work six months of the year and travel for six months. (no kids :D) We had the ability to live mortgage free here in Perth, but equally can do the same in UK (smaller property).

Everyone has a different agenda for migrating and for some the lifestyle, weather, people will suit. I wouldnt disuade anyone from trying it because you have to live it to find out what its really like.

We reckon to have spent about £15000 ($36000) in six months including air fares, thats living quite frugally and includes rent, transport bills etc. Thats without buying clothes, makeup, and that type of stuff which we bought with us.

The experience has been well worth it and we have met some nice people, some love the lifestyle others hate it. We have also been fortunate to meet a lady called Lisa who is one of those shining stars that you only meet a few times in your lifetime.

For those heading out here best of luck. :cool:

sula Feb 21st 2004 8:58 am

Originally posted by karawara88
We have made the decision to to bail out, and it feels good. After six months in WA we decided its not for us, lots of reasons for this, lack of work being one of them, on weighing up all the pros and cons we know that we have a better lifestyle in UK.

Our hopes / dreams on moving to Perth was to have a more relaxed lifestyle and not have to work 5 days a week 12 months of the year. House prices, lack of work and poor wages meant the reality was far different.

At "home" we can work six months of the year and travel for six months. (no kids :D) We had the ability to live mortgage free here in Perth, but equally can do the same in UK (smaller property).

Everyone has a different agenda for migrating and for some the lifestyle, weather, people will suit. I wouldnt disuade anyone from trying it because you have to live it to find out what its really like.

We reckon to have spent about £15000 ($36000) in six months including air fares, thats living quite frugally and includes rent, transport bills etc. Thats without buying clothes, makeup, and that type of stuff which we bought with us.

The experience has been well worth it and we have met some nice people, some love the lifestyle others hate it. We have also been fortunate to meet a lady called Lisa who is one of those shining stars that you only meet a few times in your lifetime.

For those heading out here best of luck. :cool:

Sorry to hear that things did not work out for you. Two years a go I was in the same situation and returned to the UK with my family. My husband and I both found jobs as soon as we returned. I am also a social worker and was inundated with job offers in the UK but could not find a job in Australia. We have never really settled since we returned and plan to have another go later this year.

I now have AASW eligibility and hope that this will assist in securing a decent job. It would be really useful to hear more about your experience of trying to find employment as a social worker in Australia.

jandjuk Feb 21st 2004 9:08 am

Chris and Donna,

Having followed your posts (for what that's worth!) it seems like you're making the right decision.

I know people on here don't mean it that way.... but it's curious how a lot of people express disappointment and sympathy with your decision to return home! I mean you don't sound particularly sad about how things have turned out - the experience has crystallised how you want to live your life, and you're glad you've tried it...?

Grayling Feb 21st 2004 9:08 am

Originally posted by sula
Sorry to hear that things did not work out for you. Two years a go I was in the same situation and returned to the UK with my family. My husband and I both found jobs as soon as we returned. I am also a social worker and was inundated with job offers in the UK but could not find a job in Australia. We have never really settled since we returned and plan to have another go later this year.

I now have AASW eligibility and hope that this will assist in securing a decent job. It would be really useful to hear more about your experience of trying to find employment as a social worker in Australia.
Don't know where you are planning to go but there are several jobs for social workers in mental health on the NSW health website.
Don't know about other specialities.
Many jobs are advertised as mental health professionals.When you look it sometimes specifies social workers:

www3.health.nsw.gov.au/healthjobs/index.html

good luck

G