Going Home

Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Going Home

We have made the decision to to bail out, and it feels good. After six months in WA we decided its not for us, lots of reasons for this, lack of work being one of them, on weighing up all the pros and cons we know that we have a better lifestyle in UK.

Our hopes / dreams on moving to Perth was to have a more relaxed lifestyle and not have to work 5 days a week 12 months of the year. House prices, lack of work and poor wages meant the reality was far different.

At "home" we can work six months of the year and travel for six months. (no kids ) We had the ability to live mortgage free here in Perth, but equally can do the same in UK (smaller property).

Everyone has a different agenda for migrating and for some the lifestyle, weather, people will suit. I wouldnt disuade anyone from trying it because you have to live it to find out what its really like.

We reckon to have spent about £15000 ($36000) in six months including air fares, thats living quite frugally and includes rent, transport bills etc. Thats without buying clothes, makeup, and that type of stuff which we bought with us.

The experience has been well worth it and we have met some nice people, some love the lifestyle others hate it. We have also been fortunate to meet a lady called Lisa who is one of those shining stars that you only meet a few times in your lifetime.

For those heading out here best of luck.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:13 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going Home

Originally posted by karawara88
We have made the decision to to bail out, and it feels good. After six months in WA we decided its not for us, lots of reasons for this, lack of work being one of them, on weighing up all the pros and cons we know that we have a better lifestyle in UK.

Our hopes / dreams on moving to Perth was to have a more relaxed lifestyle and not have to work 5 days a week 12 months of the year. House prices, lack of work and poor wages meant the reality was far different.

At "home" we can work six months of the year and travel for six months. (no kids ) We had the ability to live mortgage free here in Perth, but equally can do the same in UK (smaller property).

Everyone has a different agenda for migrating and for some the lifestyle, weather, people will suit. I wouldnt disuade anyone from trying it because you have to live it to find out what its really like.

We reckon to have spent about £15000 ($36000) in six months including air fares, thats living quite frugally and includes rent, transport bills etc. Thats without buying clothes, makeup, and that type of stuff which we bought with us.

The experience has been well worth it and we have met some nice people, some love the lifestyle others hate it. We have also been fortunate to meet a lady called Lisa who is one of those shining stars that you only meet a few times in your lifetime.

I'm sitting in traffic
For the 5th year in a row
Wasting my time
Just to get
Where I do not even wanna go
I started jotting things down
On a krispy kreme sack
Everything I'd do
If I could leave this place
And never look back

I wanna do it all
Visit paris in the fall
Watch the yankee's play ball
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law
I wanna do it all

I want to drink tequila
Down in Tijuana
Say why not
When somebody says
Hey do you wanna
I wanna get my heart broke
Once or twice
Settle down with the love of my life
Rock little babies to sleep at night

I wanna do it all
Visit paris in the fall
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law
I wanna do it all

I wanna stand today
Every now and then
Just doin what I want to do
When I wanna do it
Anytime I wanna do it

I wanna do it all
Visit paris in the fall
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law

I wanna do it all
See Niagara falls
Fight city hall
Feel good in my skin
Beating the odds
With my back to the wall
Trying to rob Peter
Without paying Paul
I wanna do it all
I wanna do it all
I wanna do it all
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:17 pm
joem

I was just about to say, I feel a song coming on

joem

Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karawara,

Sorry to hear you've decided to leave, but if its the better option for you, you have to do it. I followed your posts before you made the move, so I am sorry it never worked out the way you had hoped, but Congrats on having the guts to say we've tried, its not for us, let's go home!

We are arriving in Brisbane in the middle of March to start our new life. We have hopes & dreams and expectations, but it all depends on what life throws at you. We know it's going to be tough (we've done it once before), and the big challenge is getting jobs as quick as possible and then integrating into the new society.

Best wishes to you, hope the UK gives you all you want!

Hazel.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough

Well youre not alone! We can identify with you in what you say, having been out here for 6 months too & not working. Agencies are full of empty promises, house prices are just out of our reach, etc so we decided enough is enough & we are going home next week.

Since we made the decision a huge weight has come off our shoulders & will go back with renewed enthusiasm for the UK. We needed to be half way across the world to see that what we wanted was right under our noses all the time!

I wish you well on your return home.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:21 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
sorry to hear it hasnt worked out for you. Hope returning to the UK gives you what you need.

From your experiences of moving to OZ, do you have any advice for newbies about to move down?

Good luck for the future
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:26 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
do you have any advice for newbies about to move down?
A diet of lifestyle and sunshine has 0 calories...
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:28 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Hi,
sorry to hear it hasnt worked out for you. Hope returning to the UK gives you what you need.

From your experiences of moving to OZ, do you have any advice for newbies about to move down?

Good luck for the future
janeyray and Jack Daws certainly do:

Try and change your life before emmigrating to OZ?
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:32 pm
WBB

sorry to hear things haven't worked out for you, good luck on your return to the U.K.

Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:38 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
janeyray and Jack Daws certainly do:

Try and change your life before emmigrating to OZ?

Thanks Meg , our circumstances are slightly different to whats being talked about here.

What I was really looking for was practical settling-in advice and "lessons learnt" about how to ensure the move DOESN'T fail.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:47 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Florida_03
I'm sitting in traffic
For the 5th year in a row
Wasting my time
Just to get
Where I do not even wanna go
I started jotting things down
On a krispy kreme sack
Everything I'd do
If I could leave this place
And never look back

I wanna do it all
Visit paris in the fall
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law
I wanna do it all

I want to drink tequila
Down in Tijuana
Say why not
When somebody says
Hey do you wanna
I wanna get my heart broke
Once or twice
Settle down with the love of my life
Rock little babies to sleep at night

I wanna do it all
Visit paris in the fall
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law
I wanna do it all

I wanna stand today
Every now and then
Just doin what I want to do
When I wanna do it
Anytime I wanna do it

I wanna do it all
Visit paris in the fall
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law

I wanna do it all
See Niagara falls
Fight city hall
Feel good in my skin
Beating the odds
With my back to the wall
Trying to rob Peter
Without paying Paul
I wanna do it all
I wanna do it all
I wanna do it all
OK, been & done. Now where's that worm hole?
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Good luck for the future
Had a think about that one, and tried to think what advice would have been beneficial to us, and nothing springs to mind, you just have to live it and go with the flow enjoy the experience.

As I said we met many people who love it and have wonderful lives here and all reasons were different, equally we met people who hate it, again the reasons were quite varied.

I must say though that the majority of people with kids seem to fare a lot better. Not sure if thats because they mix quicker and intergrate or if its because they have a family unit to support each other.

For us, after travelling approx 12000k around WA we realised that there is so much we have not seen and done and now have the travel itch!! and its far more beneficial for us to be based in UK to do this than here.

We are here until end of March and then off to Malaysia before going home to sort a few things out, get some cash in the bank and then off to ???

What I was really looking for was practical settling-in advice and "lessons learnt" about how to ensure the move DOESN'T fail.
Nothing can ensure it does not fail, much depends on circumstances luck etc.

Last edited by karawara88; Feb 22nd 2004 at 2:50 am.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:56 pm
Banned

Thanks Meg , our circumstances are slightly different to whats being talked about here.

Perhaps I should be mute ...
1. Arrange work in Aus before arrival,
2. Else if no interest in your skills stay home,
3. Else if no arranged work and no interest, hit the tarmac running and find work pronto,
4. Else if no arranged work and no interest and no job to be found have a nice holiday in Aus then go home,
5. Else retire in Aus.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Chris and Donna sorry it hasnt worked out for you , and i hope you settle back in the UK better than here. I to like Rudy have followed your posts all the way through and its a shame as you always were the first to say how great it all is out here. We have been here now 16 months and we find each day has to be taken differently, but the work situation was different as paul has worked sinced about 4 of being here, but it can still be very hard. If all you coming out think this is all a piece of cake out here then you are in for a shock , we came out eyes wide open , took in all the negative aspects but some of the reality was a shock. But we will carry on , we had bad times from about month 6 to 1 year , and slowly it is getting a little easier, we rent as buying is out of our reach but i dont care, we are happy , well the kids are they settled better than me i have to say.
So good luck donna and chris in all you do and all you guys coming out , because like they said we wouldnt disuade anyone either , this was our dream just like all yours come and experience it .
Joanne
Old Feb 21st 2004, 2:10 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

England aint all that bad, you can have the best of both worlds by going home and getting your return visa for 5 years so at least you can go back should you decide.
You will be going back at the best time when the weather is changing for the better. OZ isn't for everyone but at least you had the guts to give it a good go. Better to have tried then never to have bothered.
Good luck to you both.

ps. Can I have your campervan for a good price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.