Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going on Holiday - How does this itinerary sound?

Going on Holiday - How does this itinerary sound?

Old Dec 17th 2004, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of
Question Going on Holiday - How does this itinerary sound?

Hi, we have been lucky enough to have a visa and so we have decided to go on holiday first, before taking the plunge. :scared:

This is the intinerary I was thinking of, because I wanted to get a look at various area's around Australia

5 days in Brisbane - during this time spending two days at Noosa and two on the gold coast. Fly to Melbourne spending two nights in the city and then travel along the great ocean road possibly stopping off at Apollo Bay, and Port Fairy ( has anyone been to either of these places and if so can they recommend any good hotels to stay in) looking through a few brochures I have, there does not seem to be any hotels recommended, only a couple, but they do not take children?) mine are in their early teens.

Then back to Melbourne to fly to Adelaide for four days hoping to visit the Murray River paddle steamer, vist Borrosa Valley and possibly swim with dolphins - just hope there aren't any sharks around at the same time :scared:

Then from Adelaide onto Perth for three days. Then home. Planning this trip over three weeks.

Any thoughts/ideas/experiences/assistance would be much appreciated.

Pommy babe
Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:19 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Going on Holiday - How does this itinerary sound?

Originally Posted by Pommy babe
Hi, we have been lucky enough to have a visa and so we have decided to go on holiday first, before taking the plunge. :scared:

This is the intinerary I was thinking of, because I wanted to get a look at various area's around Australia

5 days in Brisbane - during this time spending two days at Noosa and two on the gold coast. Fly to Melbourne spending two nights in the city and then travel along the great ocean road possibly stopping off at Apollo Bay, and Port Fairy ( has anyone been to either of these places and if so can they recommend any good hotels to stay in) looking through a few brochures I have, there does not seem to be any hotels recommended, only a couple, but they do not take children?) mine are in their early teens.

Then back to Melbourne to fly to Adelaide for four days hoping to visit the Murray River paddle steamer, vist Borrosa Valley and possibly swim with dolphins - just hope there aren't any sharks around at the same time :scared:

Then from Adelaide onto Perth for three days. Then home. Planning this trip over three weeks.

Pommy babe
l have been to Port Fairy and Appollo bay , they are both fantastic places with great beaches surrounded by scenic countryside, You should try to spend a few days in each place. When at Port fairy make sure you go for a walk around Griffith Island at the edge of the town where the river Moyne flows out to the ocean and East Beach is really good for swimming. Places nearby worth a visit are Tower Hill consevation park , about half way between Port Fairy and Warrnambool, there are plenty of tame emus at the picnic ground and alot of Koala bears in the trees, Also Mt. Eccles national park about 40 minutes north of Port Fairy neat the town of Macarthur, theres a fantastic view if you walk to the summit and also walk down to the lake.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 17th 2004 at 10:29 pm.

Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:21 pm
Go Banana's !!

Pommy babe

Should give you a good look at things but I would suggest that if you truely want to get a feel for a place then less touristy things and more fact finding ?

I don't know your experiences of Oz so far but be careful you plan reseacrh parts properly (schools, housing, jobs), as each location has its different demographics and opportunities.

Good luck

Warren

Old Dec 18th 2004, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

It sounds bloody exciting to me!!

I'm going to be doing a 7-10 day trip to Perth followed by a 7 day trip to Sydney to decide where my future lies.

SS
Old Dec 18th 2004, 11:32 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Pommy babe
Sounds like a busy three weeks to me! It will be dificult to get a feel for these places in such a short period of time.
However, I think you will have a great time, hopefully you will get a gut feeling for the "right" place.

Good Luck

Paul J
Old Dec 18th 2004, 11:33 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

What time of year?

Adelaide is a great place - perhaps a little warm today at 41 degrees- but you will not see Adelaide at its best in August for example when it is cool and wet.

By the way Port Fairy and the G.O. Road are fantastic!
Old Dec 18th 2004, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

pauli71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pommy babe
Sounds good to me. Can i come?
Old Dec 18th 2004, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

suzy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to Sydney for 5 days, GOR for 5 days, Ayers Rock and Alice Springs for 5 days and Perth for 9 days. Setting off on 28th December. We are also hoping to get a feel for the place and have PR.

Hope your holiday goes well and would be interested to hear from you when you get back.

Good luck!!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2004, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Fly to Melbourne spending two nights in the city and then travel along the great ocean road possibly stopping off at Apollo Bay, and Port Fairy ( has anyone been to either of these places and if so can they recommend any good hotels to stay in) looking through a few brochures I have, there does not seem to be any hotels recommended, only a couple, but they do not take children?) mine are in their early teens.
We've stayed at a B&B called the Douglas at Port Fairy a couple of times and can highly recommended it. The web site is:

http://www.portfairyabed.com/

It's right on the river, a very beautiful location, especially at sunrise. They will take children - the owners have 2 kids. The breakfast is excellent so don't miss it whatever you do if you're planning on staying there. They are busy almost all year round, but if you book early try asking for a riverview room. It's well worth the money.

If and when we go on the Great Ocean Road again in the future, we'll definitely be staying at the Douglas again. Oh, the owners give all returning guests free breakfast!

Good luck and enjoy your trip to Oz.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Going on Holiday - How does this itinerary sound?

Originally Posted by wombat42
l have been to Port Fairy and Appollo bay , they are both fantastic places with great beaches surrounded by scenic countryside, You should try to spend a few days in each place. When at Port fairy make sure you go for a walk around Griffith Island at the edge of the town where the river Moyne flows out to the ocean and East Beach is really good for swimming. Places nearby worth a visit are Tower Hill consevation park , about half way between Port Fairy and Warrnambool, there are plenty of tame emus at the picnic ground and alot of Koala bears in the trees, Also Mt. Eccles national park about 40 minutes north of Port Fairy neat the town of Macarthur, theres a fantastic view if you walk to the summit and also walk down to the lake.
Thank you for all the information, I have made a note of the places you mentioned and visit them when we are out there and let you know. Thanks again Pommy babe.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzy1
We are going to Sydney for 5 days, GOR for 5 days, Ayers Rock and Alice Springs for 5 days and Perth for 9 days. Setting off on 28th December. We are also hoping to get a feel for the place and have PR.

Hope your holiday goes well and would be interested to hear from you when you get back.

Good luck!!!!!
Your holiday sounds great too. Have a wonderful time and let me know what you think when you return. Happy Christmas and New Year.

Old Dec 20th 2004, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Sounds like a busy three weeks to me! It will be dificult to get a feel for these places in such a short period of time.
However, I think you will have a great time, hopefully you will get a gut feeling for the "right" place.

Good Luck

Paul J
My sentiments exactly about cramming a lot into a short space of time.

I hope you do have good instincts as to what a place is like after just a few days. I hated Cairns when I arrived there jetlagged, but after more than a month I actually grew to love the place, but that's just me I guess...

Have a brilliant time! The Great Ocean Road is fantastic btw!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all

We have similar plans with Sydney included hope we can exchange views. We are going for 5 weeks . we are probably, Considerably richer than yow!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

stressed out will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Going on Holiday - How does this itinerary sound?

Pommy babe
Hi ,
Sounds great
but im sure you will need a few days just chilling out at the end of your hol. I would book a fews days on the way home just to lay round a pool(.half way ) I have been to oz many times and stopping off on the way home ,just to chill was always the best.You wil need it !Have a great holiday.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:01 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Pommy babe
sounds a good itinery for a holiday (xcept you left offf grafton (my home town )) but crap itinery for deciding where to live. Takes more than 4-5 days to decide if good area to live (jobs, houses, friends etc)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.