Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going to the Doctor -esp for thyroid people here

Going to the Doctor -esp for thyroid people here

Old May 14th 2006, 11:25 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to the Doctor -esp for thyroid people here

Originally Posted by iPom
The adrenal system keeps you 'up' at night. If you don't obey the 'tired signals' during the evening, and you stay up, you get a 'second wind'.... That keeps you going for several more hours, yet you don't usually feel that tired the next day, right?

That second wind is the adrenal system limbering you up to stay awake and it works, but it stresses the adrenals to do it. 10pm is the cutoff time for going to bed, or thereabouts.
Continuously going to bed at 1am will cause stress to your adrenals, then your thyroid... then there's no going back....

Check out adrenal support vitamins/adrenal fatigue etc on the net.
That's EXACTLY what's been happening to me. I get a sleepy 'signal' and then ignore it at my peril as I can then be wide awake until the early hours. I honestly thought that taking my thyroxine was all I could do but I am definitely going to look into this more. Thank you
Old May 14th 2006, 11:36 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The A Team
I honestly thought that taking my thyroxine was all I could do but I am definitely going to look into this more. Thank you

OMG no! There's so much more you can do to help yourself!

Here's a few.

Stay off gluten. Some doctors believe that thyroid probs are due to unresolved gut problems. A high percentage of thyroid sufferers are allergic to gluten. Candida in the gut is also another possible cause. If your gut and bowel symptoms (common with thyroid) clear up when gluten/wheat free, then it's highly likely you are sensitive.

Eat a low carb, higher protein diet Controls the weight more effectively

Always treat the adrenals with supporting vitamins and minerals

Read, read, read, read and read some more

Try coconut oil in your diet (3 tablespoons or more a day) to boost metabolism

Exercise as this boosts thyroid function ....

I'll stop there, but start reading. Do not accept that there is nothing else you can do. There is so much for you to know - I've just given you the basics.
Old May 14th 2006, 1:25 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG no! There's so much more you can do to help yourself!

Here's a few.

Stay off gluten. Some doctors believe that thyroid probs are due to unresolved gut problems. A high percentage of thyroid sufferers are allergic to gluten. Candida in the gut is also another possible cause. If your gut and bowel symptoms (common with thyroid) clear up when gluten/wheat free, then it's highly likely you are sensitive.

Eat a low carb, higher protein diet Controls the weight more effectively

Always treat the adrenals with supporting vitamins and minerals

Read, read, read, read and read some more

Try coconut oil in your diet (3 tablespoons or more a day) to boost metabolism

Exercise as this boosts thyroid function ....

I'll stop there, but start reading. Do not accept that there is nothing else you can do. There is so much for you to know - I've just given you the basics.
Excellent post, iPom. Can I ask if you have checked out Broda Barnes' work with thyroid function? I'm sure you have come across him - we looked a lot at his theories during our reflexology training.
Old May 14th 2006, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Yes, very interesting stuff. I'm with him on the uselessness of the TSH tests etc. He's a voice of sanity... one of the few. A lot of docs now dismiss his temperature test as nonsense, but it was this which put me onto my condition in the first place. There's too much dismissal in this field purely down to massive ego's imo.
Old May 14th 2006, 1:46 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, very interesting stuff. I'm with him on the uselessness of the TSH tests etc. He's a voice of sanity... one of the few. A lot of docs now dismiss his temperature test as nonsense, but it was this which put me onto my condition in the first place. There's too much dismissal in this field purely down to massive ego's imo.
Agree - money doesn't help either, does it?

The problems with our visa medicals recently meant that my GP put me through a battery of bloods. Results came back showing that I had slightly elevated insulin resistance (I'm not diabetic), normal triglycerides and cholesterol, and normal T4 and TSH levels. I have many vague symptoms that could easily be hypothyroid attributed, and did a basal body temp test about four weeks ago - consistently sub 36.6°C. But because the T4 and TSH levels were *normal*, nothing more was said. However, reading this: http://www.medical-library.net/sites...da_barnes.html when I asked the question above, I was interested to see that "...if you check the diabetic for a low basal temperature, it often turns out that hypothyroidism is present. It has long been known that the classical test for diabetes, the GTT or glucose tolerance test, cannot distinguish between diabetes and hypothyroidism."

Mmm....may have to have further words with my GP!!
Old May 14th 2006, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

Mmm....may have to have further words with my GP!!
Sounds like it. I hope he or she listens. Most don't like well read patients - it puts their backs up.

You can get your own tests done btw. If you want your adrenals tested there are ways ... a saliva test is one of the most common and labs around the UK do this for around £40. I can find the details of the one I used if you're curious. They also do blood tests. Sometimes it's better to take the results to your doc which shunts them into finding you an Endo or sending you for more tests.

THis might be a good message board to follow this up on. The UK one is the one I am on, and the US one is also very good and busy. Needs registration.

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum....g=ab-thyroiduk

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum....tag=ab-thyroid

Latter one is the US one.

Post any queries there. There are some real experts there.

Old May 14th 2006, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

PS - you may want also to look at cinnamon for glucose intolerance.
Very useful. One teaspoon per day. Lovely in yer decaf!
Old May 14th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

One important fact that does not seem to have been mentioned here is the effect that an under active thyroid function has on calcium absorption. After years of treatment for an underactive thyroid my wife was diagnosed after a car accident as having very very low bone density. Researching the internet identifies that thyroxin inhibits the absorption of calcium. Why did no one ever tells us that???????
By the way we had our medicals last week and all was ok!
Old May 14th 2006, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DerekM
One important fact that does not seem to have been mentioned here is the effect that an under active thyroid function has on calcium absorption. After years of treatment for an underactive thyroid my wife was diagnosed after a car accident as having very very low bone density. Researching the internet identifies that thyroxin inhibits the absorption of calcium. Why did no one ever tells us that???????
Sorry to hear about your wife's low bone density. Thyroxine is a natural product, produced by the body. When you dont make enough, the hormone is replaced artificially (tablets called levothyroxine).

Did she originally have an OVER active thyroid which was treated by radiation? This can lead to problems with the para-thyroid glands, which are involved in calcium. (Different glands, similar location to the thyroid)
Old May 14th 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been reading this site as my husband has recently been diagnosed with Hashimotos and I found some of the suggestions here really interesting. He's not feeling particularly healthy even though he's on the correct dose of thyroxine now and his blood work seems good. I have pushed his US Dr to check his adrenals and we should be getting the test results back tomorrow. He never had the condition until he came out to the US and worked like a dog for 3 years, he also lost alot of his fitness in that time as he couldn't find any sports to compensate for all the sports he played in the UK. Watching baseball just isn't the same Anyway thank you all for so much information. I know its mainly women that have thyroid issues so no one though it was that when my husband started feeling unwell signs. His Dr immediately prescribed depression and put him on medication. It was only an after thought after this that the Dr checked his thyroid only to find that his T scores were well over 100! They gave up counting at that point. Were now trying to learn all we can about the condition. I just want my husband to feel like his old self again...not grumpy! And my god his memory is terrible. Anyway thanks again.
Old May 15th 2006, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DerekM

The theory behind the calcium thing is just that, a theory. The evidence that thyroxine 'leeches' calcium from the bones just isn't there. There is something else going on there... Perhaps you could make your way to the forum I mentioned where people will be able to advise you accordingly.

By the way, can I add one thing to all thyroxine takers here.
Please make sure you are not taking your medication with vitamins. You need to leave at least 4 hous between thyroxine and vitamins because many. especially calcium will ruin the absorbability of the thyroxine. Calcium should be taken at lunchtime or evening.
Old May 15th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

By the way, can I add one thing to all thyroxine takers here.
Please make sure you are not taking your medication with vitamins. You need to leave at least 4 hous between thyroxine and vitamins because many. especially calcium will ruin the absorbability of the thyroxine. Calcium should be taken at lunchtime or evening.[/QUOTE]

Hey,thanks for that,I've been taking them to gether for years!
You don't know anything about liver function/low phosphates do you? My levels were really low on the test they did here,never been mentioned before in UK, so have to go back in 3 months for more tests.
Old May 15th 2006, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by woogle

Hey,thanks for that,I've been taking them to gether for years!
You don't know anything about liver function/low phosphates do you? My levels were really low on the test they did here,never been mentioned before in UK, so have to go back in 3 months for more tests.

EEEK! have you? Oh well, now you know!

Take thyroxine first thing in the morning with a glass of water. Don't eat for at least an hour afterwards so that the stuff absorbs.

Can I direct you to the forum (UK one) which I listed Woogle? There's a chap on there called Bob, who's a chemical genius and who will probably be able to give you a great reply if you post there. I'm afraid I don't know about the low phosphates at all but I suspect he will.
Old May 15th 2006, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

EEEK! have you? Oh well, now you know!

Take thyroxine first thing in the morning with a glass of water. Don't eat for at least an hour afterwards so that the stuff absorbs.

Can I direct you to the forum (UK one) which I listed Woogle? There's a chap on there called Bob, who's a chemical genius and who will probably be able to give you a great reply if you post there. I'm afraid I don't know about the low phosphates at all but I suspect he will.

Thanks, I'll check it out & thanks again for all the info
Old May 15th 2006, 2:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I've just been reading this site as my husband has recently been diagnosed with Hashimotos and I found some of the suggestions here really interesting. He's not feeling particularly healthy even though he's on the correct dose of thyroxine now and his blood work seems good. I have pushed his US Dr to check his adrenals and we should be getting the test results back tomorrow. He never had the condition until he came out to the US and worked like a dog for 3 years, he also lost alot of his fitness in that time as he couldn't find any sports to compensate for all the sports he played in the UK. Watching baseball just isn't the same Anyway thank you all for so much information. I know its mainly women that have thyroid issues so no one though it was that when my husband started feeling unwell signs. His Dr immediately prescribed depression and put him on medication. It was only an after thought after this that the Dr checked his thyroid only to find that his T scores were well over 100! They gave up counting at that point. Were now trying to learn all we can about the condition. I just want my husband to feel like his old self again...not grumpy! And my god his memory is terrible. Anyway thanks again.
Lisa, having Hashimotos is much more than just having an underactive thyroid which is what many women have. Like your husband I had a TSH score of over 100 (they stop counting at 100 here too) when I was diagnosed & my doctor was in shock that I was still functioning (albeit, not very well! ) & even walking around. Hashimotos, as you will know of course, is an auto-immune disease which means that your body attacks its own organs & systems & having it puts you at great risk of other debilitating diseases & illnesses.

I know exactly what he means by still not feeling well, unfortunately if you have Hashimotos simply having the correct dosage of thyroxin is only a small part of the battle, good luck to you both .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.