Going to Darwin

Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all
Default Going to Darwin

Hi all I'll be attending university in Darwin starting this coming March and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. I've attempted to make contacts via myspace; but that isn't working out too well . I'm mainly interested to know the cost of...well, things. I've noticed rent isn't exactly cheap and I imagine I'll be staying on campus at least the first year anyway, so that isn't a big issue.

However, what about transport? Used vehicles? Food prices? Other goods?
I'm usually a master at the internet, but for whatever reason seem to have issues finding the costs of various items in Darwin. Any links/information is greatly appreciated

- Brendan
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Willoughby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to Darwin

Hi,

Curious as to why you chose CDU as everyone I know that goes there constantly bags it as 'the staff and lecturers don't know what they're doing'. Hope you're making the right choice.

However, what about transport? Used vehicles? Food prices? Other goods?
I'm usually a master at the internet, but for whatever reason seem to have issues finding the costs of various items in Darwin. Any links/information is greatly appreciated
Fuel is noted as being the highest in Australia. Used vehicles are very pricey from what I've seen... $11,000 for a 1995 corolla? A lot of people drive cars up from down south where they're much cheaper however they are not NT registered. Food prices are higher than everywhere really, especially fruit and veg. Bananas at coles or woolies will set you back $3.99 to 4.99 a kilo... apples at the normal price will be around $5.60 a kilo, specials down to $3/kg.
I think whitewear and electronics are more or less the same as other capitals.

The power price rose 18% in July across the Territory and inflation is running relatively high at 2.7% YoY or 1.9% QoQ with electricity, recreation and housing fueling these % changes.

All Groups: Percentage change from previous quarter

From: http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/...009&num=&view=

Many people bitch and moan about the cost of living up here but it is a very isolated and distant city and the logistics to run the city IS expensive.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Willoughby
Hi,

Curious as to why you chose CDU as everyone I know that goes there constantly bags it as 'the staff and lecturers don't know what they're doing'. Hope you're making the right choice.

Fuel is noted as being the highest in Australia. Used vehicles are very pricey from what I've seen... $11,000 for a 1995 corolla? A lot of people drive cars up from down south where they're much cheaper however they are not NT registered. Food prices are higher than everywhere really, especially fruit and veg. Bananas at coles or woolies will set you back $3.99 to 4.99 a kilo... apples at the normal price will be around $5.60 a kilo, specials down to $3/kg.
I think whitewear and electronics are more or less the same as other capitals.

The power price rose 18% in July across the Territory and inflation is running relatively high at 2.7% YoY or 1.9% QoQ with electricity, recreation and housing fueling these % changes.

All Groups: Percentage change from previous quarter
http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/...ElemFormat=gif
From: http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/...009&num=&view=

Many people bitch and moan about the cost of living up here but it is a very isolated and distant city and the logistics to run the city IS expensive.
Hello,

It's a university I've looked into since 2003; I guess no real rhyme or reason why it's one I'd pick. I've been given an offer to JCU in Cairns as well and I've not accepted either offer at the moment. Tuition at CDU is less and I've been given a small scholarship as well, so that sort of helps in the decision making process. I haven't really found any 'reviews' of the staff/teaching staff at the university, so yes, they could be horrible for all I know. And honestly if the school is not so great as your friends mention, I'd probably rather not go there
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Ive spoken to students who are doing courses with CDU distance learning mode. They all think the Uni has been very good. But they did do oncampus workshops and enjoyed their stay in Darwin.

Gems