Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

going back? I hope so

going back? I hope so

Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default going back? I hope so

I havent really been on the forum for a long time down to being depressed about the whole Australia thing.

We got our visa last year sold our house and went to Oz but I just couldn't get a job ( I work in IT ) and I guess we paniked a bit and ended up coming back to the UK where I got a job almost straight away. Anyway I really want to go back to Oz but the family wont go unless I can find work first and I understand that but how long do I have to get back? could I re enter on the last day of the visa?

Has anyone really managed to sucure a job from the UK that worked out. I was interviewed on the phone and offered a job last year that disappeared once we got there! does this happen alot?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going back? I hope so

You could in theory go back the day before the theory expired, but you might struggle to get a resident return visa, meaning you would have to stay in the country until you can prove substantial ties and get the RRV. Were you planning to go ahead of your family? If so, then your family might have trouble getting the RRV too and their visas might expire.

My husband and I are toying with the idea of one of us going out alone first, hopefully finding a job and then the other sorts out the house and comes afterwards. We won't attempt it until the economy picks up a little though. We would try and line up some telephone interviews in advance but are not realistically thinking we will be able to find a job before we are there in person.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:28 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by edie209
I was interviewed on the phone and offered a job last year that disappeared once we got there! does this happen alot?
How did that happen? Didn't you sign a contract prior to departure? I don't think it does happen a lot because before anyone moves, well me anyway, I signed a contract.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

salman is an unknown quantity at this point

What field in IT?? I am also in IT , Java Developer to be specific heading to sydney next month hoping to get job. How bad market is over there ??
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:08 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mecheng
How did that happen? Didn't you sign a contract prior to departure? I don't think it does happen a lot because before anyone moves, well me anyway, I signed a contract.
Totally agree - I also signed a contract beforehand.

OP - you should find it easier to apply for jobs from outside AUS as you already have a visa - most job's I looked at when I was wanting to move required you to already have a visa. Try looking in unlikely places - not sure what kind of IT you are into but state and local governments are always advertising IT and systems support jobs.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Signing a contract doesn't mean the company cannot make the position redundant ... perhaps that is what happened to the OP.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

These days, employment contracts that have been signed can be reneged upon. It happened to many people who was offered a position with banks. When Lehman Bros collapsed last year, many people who have been offered a position found their employment cancelled, even though the employment contract has been signed.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by salman
What field in IT?? I am also in IT , Java Developer to be specific heading to sydney next month hoping to get job. How bad market is over there ??
Depends what industry. Banking appears to be comming back I have been getting a lot of calls over the last couple of weeks. Don't know about other industries though.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

They have lost the plot long ago. Unfortunately, the UK has nothing to sell and therefore they are selling the family silver, everything from Dartford Tunnel to Royal Mint.

China is buying coal from Australia, For a reversal of fortune, yes, interest rate should go up rather than stay at 0.5%. Perhaps it is time to reopen the coal mine shut down by Maggie during the 1985 miners strike.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by edie209
<snip> ( I work in IT ) <snip>
What do you do in IT?
Without a doubt it's going to be easier to get a job here, than from back there.
Have you done a hard analysis on the roles you applied for here and why they turned you down?
Maybe come without the family (distraction) and get prove a job first?

Last edited by craig_m67; Oct 14th 2009 at 7:13 am.