Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going back to Aus

Going back to Aus

Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Okletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really nice
Thumbs up Going back to Aus

I left Australia in 1988 to travel around Europe and the UK and ended up staying although this was not my original intention !. After eighteen years and now with a young family, I have decided its time to return to Australia for a number of reasons.
I hate anyone who whinges on about all the negatives of a country and therefore I will not do the same here, but... Life in the UK has changed a lot over these years, and whilst I love the character and lifestyle here I feel that the country is being sold out to extreme political correctness, mass immigration (mostly illegal, but who's counting) and penalties targeted at anyone capable of paying! It really feels like we are funding a changing landscape.
There are no nicer people than the English, generous, compassionate and humourous!! Sadly their views seem less and less important and the number of people I talk to sound so despondent about the future here. 5 million people emmigrating...why??
I loved living here, fantastic neighbours, beautiful countryside and everything on the doorstep. Now, I look at neighbourhoods terrorised by teenage rebellion, mass migration on a scale that even the government cannot quantify and an infrastructure that cannot cope under the strain.
Australia is very different from the UK, but the people do share a lot in common, hence I believe that is why it is such a popular destination. The impression I get from reading the messages on here is that whilst the life is totally different, everyone is excited about the challenge of a new life in Australia. I believe that ultimately the UK are losing a lot of very talented people and Australia will gain from those people moving there with a committment to achieving a better life. I am so impressed by the support and consideration that everyone shows to each other on this forum, something I think is quite impressive. Good luck to everyone making the move, I am also anxious about how things might have changed since I lived there last but I will continue to read the postings with interest and hope I will not get slated for the comments I made!!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:16 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to Aus

Originally Posted by Okletsgo
I left Australia in 1988 to travel around Europe and the UK and ended up staying although this was not my original intention !. After eighteen years and now with a young family, I have decided its time to return to Australia for a number of reasons.
I hate anyone who whinges on about all the negatives of a country and therefore I will not do the same here, but... Life in the UK has changed a lot over these years, and whilst I love the character and lifestyle here I feel that the country is being sold out to extreme political correctness, mass immigration (mostly illegal, but who's counting) and penalties targeted at anyone capable of paying! It really feels like we are funding a changing landscape.
There are no nicer people than the English, generous, compassionate and humourous!! Sadly their views seem less and less important and the number of people I talk to sound so despondent about the future here. 5 million people emmigrating...why??
I loved living here, fantastic neighbours, beautiful countryside and everything on the doorstep. Now, I look at neighbourhoods terrorised by teenage rebellion, mass migration on a scale that even the government cannot quantify and an infrastructure that cannot cope under the strain.
Australia is very different from the UK, but the people do share a lot in common, hence I believe that is why it is such a popular destination. The impression I get from reading the messages on here is that whilst the life is totally different, everyone is excited about the challenge of a new life in Australia. I believe that ultimately the UK are losing a lot of very talented people and Australia will gain from those people moving there with a committment to achieving a better life. I am so impressed by the support and consideration that everyone shows to each other on this forum, something I think is quite impressive. Good luck to everyone making the move, I am also anxious about how things might have changed since I lived there last but I will continue to read the postings with interest and hope I will not get slated for the comments I made!!
Good post.

A few leftist, PC members might try and convince you (and themselves) Oz has a problem with illegal immigrants on the same level, but other than that, can't see your remarks getting too much abuse mate.

K sent.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

John Sharp is on a distinguished road

Great post & just about sums up what i am sure a lot of us feel.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:08 pm
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold

This is just how we feel too..............good post……. hope all turns out well for you and yours
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Ive no idea what australia was like in 1988 but its a rapidly changing country too, we came back in 2000, massive changes in so many things in just that time, from house prices to PC mode, workplace reform to traffic and cost of living If you havent already done so, visit first.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. A few points:
Political correctness is as rampant here as it is in the UK.
3rd world immigration (legal & illegal) is nowhere near the level of the UK. UK has a problem with immigration but at least this new wave of Poles is not a Western hating, non assimilating, anti-woman Muslim wave.
5 million people may have left the UK but how many have gone back? 40% is a figure I've heard before.
Crime is on a par with the UK, some things better, some worse.
Australia is only slightly cheaper than the UK. Some things here are way more expensive than the UK, others way cheaper.
There are teenage w*nkers here but not as many as the UK.
There is an underclass here, just like the UK Chavs. It's about the same.
In some parts of Australia the infrastructure is also straining.
There are great opportunities here just as there are in the UK.

Good luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:47 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough post mate, but it'll just give Brits emigrating to Oz from the U.K. further fuel to justify to themselves that their lives will be oh-so-much better for the move.

And then BANG, they find out their problems have followed them.

Best to make the move for the experience & philosophical reasons instead.

Anyway, all the best, what part of Oz you off to?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got British citizenship or have you just got UK settled status?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:12 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Great post. A few points:
Political correctness is as rampant here as it is in the UK.
3rd world immigration (legal & illegal) is nowhere near the level of the UK. UK has a problem with immigration but at least this new wave of Poles is not a Western hating, non assimilating, anti-woman Muslim wave.
5 million people may have left the UK but how many have gone back? 40% is a figure I've heard before.
Crime is on a par with the UK, some things better, some worse.
Australia is only slightly cheaper than the UK. Some things here are way more expensive than the UK, others way cheaper.
There are teenage w*nkers here but not as many as the UK.
There is an underclass here, just like the UK Chavs. It's about the same.
In some parts of Australia the infrastructure is also straining.
There are great opportunities here just as there are in the UK.

Good luck.
EXACTLY....nail firmly hit on the head!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 5:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Ive no idea what australia was like in 1988
Hey Hey it's Saturday, Warwick Capper, "W.A. Home of the America's Cup" numebr plates...
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 5:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
A few leftist, PC members might try and convince you (and themselves) Oz has a problem with illegal immigrants on the same level.
Australia has loads of illegal immigrants and guess what? the vast majority are British or Yanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Hey Hey it's Saturday, Warwick Capper, "W.A. Home of the America's Cup" numebr plates...
Cheap houses......
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Cheap houses......
Real cheap, just did a search australia 1988 , Sydney house prices expected to fall by 50%, concerns on interest rates, ( oh so familiar) 20,000 aboriginals march in sydney, Paul hogan and croc dundee at the box office, and immigration calls for less Asians to be let into australia Plus Keating, Hawke and Howard mentioned. Google images brought up some mullet haircuts and purple suits.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Real cheap, just did a search australia 1988 , Sydney house prices expected to fall by 50%, concerns on interest rates, ( oh so familiar) 20,000 aboriginals march in sydney, Paul hogan and croc dundee at the box office, and immigration calls for less Asians to be let into australia Plus Keating, Hawke and Howard mentioned. Google images brought up some mullet haircuts and purple suits.
At least it's only 20% fall this time! So nothing new then really apart from the purple suits as we've still got plenty of mullets around.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:37 am
fidge

fidge is on a distinguished road

great post i agree totally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.