Going it Alone

Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Auspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant future
Default Going it Alone

Hi Everyone. Having a bit of a nightmare at the moment. Its been 2 years since we, (that is me and the OH) returned to the UK after a fairly hellish 3 months in NZ. My OH has always wanted live abroad and so we had decided to emigrate as soon as I got my degree. NZ really didn't work out because apart from it not really being what we expected I really believe that we were very ill prepared, although him indoors won't have this at all!! On our way back we stopped in Perth to look at a job possibility and I really loved the idea of going to Oz. Although I was offered the job, my hubby was a bit cagey about it so we decided to return to the UK and just see how things would turn out. Within a few months, he was back on at me about wanting to get out of the UK and so after a lot of consideration we decided on trying Oz. Applied in Dec 2007 and received visas in July 08, have got a job in Mackay and ready to fly out next Monday, ALONE!!! OH has made excuses about going, and just keeps wavering on whether he wants to go, even saying things aren't the same between us anymore, yet still says he going to come over in January, he's even booked the flight. But I'm not convinced at all. I feel very let down by him. But I'm going to give it a good crack if I can. Question is whether I've chosen the right location really, I'm 38 in January, so I'm not seeking a nightlife as such, just a nice place to live with friendly people. Sorry to go on so much, but any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated. Cheers everyone, Dee.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:10 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going it Alone

Originally Posted by Auspharm
Hi Everyone. Having a bit of a nightmare at the moment. Its been 2 years since we, (that is me and the OH) returned to the UK after a fairly hellish 3 months in NZ. My OH has always wanted live abroad and so we had decided to emigrate as soon as I got my degree. NZ really didn't work out because apart from it not really being what we expected I really believe that we were very ill prepared, although him indoors won't have this at all!! On our way back we stopped in Perth to look at a job possibility and I really loved the idea of going to Oz. Although I was offered the job, my hubby was a bit cagey about it so we decided to return to the UK and just see how things would turn out. Within a few months, he was back on at me about wanting to get out of the UK and so after a lot of consideration we decided on trying Oz. Applied in Dec 2007 and received visas in July 08, have got a job in Mackay and ready to fly out next Monday, ALONE!!! OH has made excuses about going, and just keeps wavering on whether he wants to go, even saying things aren't the same between us anymore, yet still says he going to come over in January, he's even booked the flight. But I'm not convinced at all. I feel very let down by him. But I'm going to give it a good crack if I can. Question is whether I've chosen the right location really, I'm 38 in January, so I'm not seeking a nightlife as such, just a nice place to live with friendly people. Sorry to go on so much, but any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated. Cheers everyone, Dee.
Bizarrely, I'd never heard of Mackay until 30 seconds agio when someone was absolutely slating it.

Look up the The Official Loners Thread though, we're a decent bunch in there and I'm sure we'll help with any issues you have about going it alone.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, not going to MacKay but just wanted to say good luck and well done for going it alone - think its fab you're not letting your OH hold you back. Brave move but I reckon with courage like yours you'll have no probs meeting people and making a fresh start. Best of luck - let us know how you get on. X
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Auspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant futureAuspharm has a brilliant future

Thanks for that! Who knows he might actually join me in the end! I just feel I have to get things moving or I'll still be here when I'm 50!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

gbarnett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auspharm
Thanks for that! Who knows he might actually join me in the end! I just feel I have to get things moving or I'll still be here when I'm 50!
Anyone that is willing to move out there on their own definitely has courage so I think you will be absolutely fine

Sounds a little suspect but you do only get one life so make the most of it
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Dee, you go for it! I came out here alone three years ago and Im very glad I did! I think i know more people here than I did in the Uk now, Ozzie English German etc!

e-mail me if you want to discuss, I hate to say it but I was 39 when I set off!.....in me prime!! but seriously as you say at 50 you could look back and think what if??
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your words of encouragement. It really does help loads. Was feeling extremely confident about everything until I read the thread about killer magpies. I can deal with any creatures, spiders, snakes etc, but I tend to deal with birds at arms length. Think I will have to undergo some kind of therapy, or walk round with a bucket on my head!!