Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going in 9 weeks - help !

Going in 9 weeks - help !

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold
Default Going in 9 weeks - help !

Hi, I am very new to the forum, but just felt the need to tell someone that we got our visa yesterday !! We are planning to come out to Melbourne at the end of November, and I can't believe just how much there is to do !

We have just had 3 removals quotes, Allied were a little expensive but have their own insurance, Anglo were more reasonable but don't do their own insurance and we were warned off PSS. If your remover is a member of FAIM, can you buy insurance from elsewhere to cover damage as well as total loss ?

Any advice on who to use to transfer money out there ? And also should I be opening a bank account before we get there and transferring the money before, or once we arrive ?

I am also feeling very mixed about coming. I am really excited but also extremely nervous about the whole thing, and my 8 year old daughter is moaning continually about the whole thing. Please tell me we will love it !
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going in 9 weeks - help !

Congratulations on getting your visa
Hilary
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Izzy
Hi, I am very new to the forum, but just felt the need to tell someone that we got our visa yesterday !! We are planning to come out to Melbourne at the end of November, and I can't believe just how much there is to do !

We have just had 3 removals quotes, Allied were a little expensive but have their own insurance, Anglo were more reasonable but don't do their own insurance and we were warned off PSS. If your remover is a member of FAIM, can you buy insurance from elsewhere to cover damage as well as total loss ?

Any advice on who to use to transfer money out there ? And also should I be opening a bank account before we get there and transferring the money before, or once we arrive ?

I am also feeling very mixed about coming. I am really excited but also extremely nervous about the whole thing, and my 8 year old daughter is moaning continually about the whole thing. Please tell me we will love it !

You will love it. There, you feel better already dont ya
If you do a search you will find the answers to all of your questions, as they are things that are regularly covered on here.
Welcome to BE and CONGRATULATIONS on getting your visa
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, we put our money with HIFX they got us 2.55. We got here and opened an account with Bank west, 4 days later our money was in the bank , what a relief.
You will be going through lots of emotions, but you have to try it, your daughter will be absolutey fine, i brought 3 ages 7, 11 and 12 and they love it here and we have only been here 10 month.
Nobody can tell you how it will be for you, some people settle some dont, but you have to be optimistic,and give it your best shot. you will be ok, just go for it, all the very best. Denise
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks - You're right I do feel better already. Better go and book my flights !
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:23 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats

First off make sure you open accounts with several of the big money transfer people so that when the time comes to move your money you can shop around for the best rate. A friend of mine has just transferred some money and HIFX only offered him 2.32, but Tranzfers gave him 2.34 which does make a difference.

HTH
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:12 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations we have been using tranzfers.com for quite a while,once a month we transfer x amount into our account in Australia and we've never had any problems with them,there about the cheapest way to transfer funds over as well. banks charge about £20 per transaction but tranzfers only charge about £7 and it doesn't matter if your sending £10 or £10,000 it's the same flat rate.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Errr, ...

You will love it.

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

I agree there is a huge amount to do, we are just a little ahead of you. The shippers have been and gone, some problems, but that was another thread. We arrive in Melbourne mid-November and can't wait to get there.

Our 10 yr old daughter seems ok with it all and our 4 yr old daughter doesn't want to go. Reason - there is no Holybush park (our local park) in Australia, I guess I can see the logic. Having moved abroad twice as a kid, I know it is easy to adapt, and for kids to make friends. I'm confident ours will be fine and so will yours.

Keep us all up to date with your progress.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Don't worry it seems like you have a lot to do now, but you will do it. Melbourne's a fab place, I might see you there, we're heading out on the 28th Nov!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 10:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on getting the visa.

Don't worry about your daughter, she is just pressing buttons She's scared as are you, only natural.

BTW wouldn't go near Anglo with anyone's barge pole. Do a search on them - Try ***** ********. Don't want to scare you too much but.......
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations on your visa!!

We are also travelling to Melbourne at the end of November, via a short trip to Malaysia.

What part of Melbourne are you looking to move to?

We are using PSS to ship our stuff, who seemed to be one of the most competent. It might be worth you doing a search on the forum for Anglo Pacific, I think Pollyanna and a few others have had some problems with them.

Melbourne is a lovely place and yes you will love it!

Good Luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:34 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also feeling very mixed about coming. I am really excited but also extremely nervous about the whole thing, and my 8 year old daughter is moaning continually about the whole thing. Please tell me we will love

it !
Hi
I am using PSS next Friday, they seem to get a good rep on here.
I opened an Australian Bank account within days with Westpac.
www.westpac.com.au
Once you have filled the online form out it will register with them that you are not in Australia and they will email you asking your arrival date, it's best if you apply within 30 days of arrival as all you will need to do then is go to your Westpac branch in Oz and show them ID and sign the forms etc.
I am amazed, I only applied last week and now have 2 accounts with them and online banking.
I dont have anything in it yet, waiting for our house to complete next Friday, but I still look at it
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

purple swatch will become famous soon enough

PSS are with us today, thay have nearly finished,hubby is with them whilst i'm in the library using the internet,they have worked really hard inbetween us supplying brews ,really nice lads too.just waiting for the wagon to load us up.good luck with your decision
debs
Old Sep 24th 2005, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck with the move and thanks to every one who responded. I will speak to you again closer to the time to let you know how you are getting on. Let me know how you all get on as well !