Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

God save the Queen! Should we??

God save the Queen! Should we??

Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:09 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default God save the Queen! Should we??

I have been watching the rugby, international football and when the world cup was on watched all of Englands games. I was wondering if we had a more passionate national anthem would it be more rousing to sing along to. I know all of Australia love to sing Waltzing matilda yet it is widely admited that not many know the words to Australias national anthem. I personaly (and if you read this Ma'am am not bieng disrespectful to you) hate "God save the Queen" it is so boring, yet if we could sing to "Land of hope and glory" or "Rule britannia" I would sing along, wonder if it would pump the players up too. God save the Queen is so....well... so yesterday.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

I was always under the impression that it was the british national anthem and therefor should not technically be used to represent only england, but yes you are right, its a durge, very look at us we are a bunch of pompus gits.

Moan over

Lynn
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:23 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by lynnj
I was always under the impression that it was the british national anthem and therefor should not technically be used to represent only england, but yes you are right, its a durge, very look at us we are a bunch of pompus gits.

Moan over

Lynn
I agree but when we play as England and not great britain should be allowed to sing something more rousing. The Welsh, Scottish and Irish get more patriotic when they hear songs such as land of my fathers, I know because my inlaws or all true bloodied Welsh folk.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

You go for it, i agree whole heartedly. Last weekend i was sat in my lounge with a tear rolling down my cheek as flower of scotland resounded round townsville, mind you that could have been those silly outfits they make the national anthem singers wear

Lynn
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:38 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

the irish now use two anthems for most international matches/all 6 nations-the official anthem(dont know what its called)and another called something like ireland's call

the reason being it is the only team sport that both northern ireland and the south play as "ireland".therefore the republic of irelands anthem isnt not used anymore on its own(think this is since last world cup)
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:42 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

slightly off track - get rid of the royal family full stop! there..someone had to say it.
i agree there must be something more rousing than the current national anthem - land of hope and glory is much more happier a tune than god save the queen.
see what I mean;
http://12121.hostinguk.com/Glory.htm

sue
Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:03 am
Home in 2010.

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
slightly off track - get rid of the royal family full stop! there..someone had to say it.
i agree there must be something more rousing than the current national anthem - land of hope and glory is much more happier a tune than god save the queen.
see what I mean;

sue
Ah.... bought a tear to my eye, turned the volume up and sang karaoke style to it.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 12:33 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Got to number 1 when the Sex Pistols released it in 78, ah them were the days. F ing good ones too.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 4:00 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DavidT
Got to number 1 when the Sex Pistols released it in 78, ah them were the days. F ing good ones too.
Yes, this version has always been the national anthem in our household too!
Old Oct 17th 2003, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Agree, England would do so much better divorcing the national anthem from sporting occasions.

They wouldn't necessarily perform any better (sorry) but everyone would feel great at the start of the game. Flower of Scotland takes some beating.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 4:21 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Zebra4
Agree, England would do so much better divorcing the national anthem from sporting occasions.

They wouldn't necessarily perform any better (sorry) but everyone would feel great at the start of the game. Flower of Scotland takes some beating.
Ive never heard it FOS sung in Engleesh, so couldn't comment

God save the queen,
the facist regime
they made you a moron,
potential h bomb
Old Oct 17th 2003, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
see what I mean;

sue
Yep should defo get rid of the royal family - can you imagine King Charles? Bet the kingdom would go to sleep for the next 100 years.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

Originally posted by DavidT

they actually released it in 77 which was more releveant as it was the jubiliee year and i remember the charts being fixed back then rather well..;-)

however i personally would think we would be a much poorer country without the royal family and a lot of countries try to use inverted snobbery about them ....

the royal family and all it's connotations have given us quite a heritage and a depth of society which is noticable in it's absence in the 'new world'..

try driving around london and 'mentally' flatten the buildings which are 'associated' with the royal family..

what do you have left ?

cheers

richard

cheers

richard
Old Oct 17th 2003, 7:06 pm
earlswood

I agree - I can't stand the Royal Family!! Down with the lot of them if you ask me.

Old Oct 17th 2003, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Whoops - logged on as the missus.

Oh well, never mind - I'll say it again anyway.

"I agree - I can't stand the Royal Family!! Down with the lot of them if you ask me"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.