Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

god help me in the australian sun

god help me in the australian sun

Old Sep 16th 2003, 2:00 pm
WBB

Default god help me in the australian sun

i have just spent the last couple of hours out in the garden cutting the grass etc etc and i have burned in the heat i have fair skin anyway, im a bit like an albino snowman but what am i going to do when i get to oz???

the temp here today is probably in the low to md twenties and i am actually burnt i look like a lobster now, god help me.

Old Sep 16th 2003, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't want to make it seem worse, but having lived and worked most of my life in the tropics in Africa and Asia, the Australian sun is the fiercest I've ever know, barring none. In Perth though, where the sun's remorseless, it's fairly cool ot of the direct sun.

Loads of cream and protective clothing.

Good luck

David
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: god help me in the australian sun

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i have just spent the last couple of hours out in the garden cutting the grass etc etc and i have burned in the heat i have fair skin anyway, im a bit like an albino snowman but what am i going to do when i get to oz???

the temp here today is probably in the low to md twenties and i am actually burnt i look like a lobster now, god help me.
did you have sunscreen on though?:lecture:
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:16 pm
WBB

Originally posted by davidw
Don't want to make it seem worse, but having lived and worked most of my life in the tropics in Africa and Asia, the Australian sun is the fiercest I've ever know, barring none. In Perth though, where the sun's remorseless, it's fairly cool ot of the direct sun.

Loads of cream and protective clothing.

Good luck

David
i remember when we visited oz in 97 i was basically under house arrest beetween 11am and 3pm because i could not face the heat, it is also the humidity that drains your energy, but hey it beats the welsh winter nights.

Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, humidity in queensland and much of east coast, blazing sun and dry heat in perth
Old Sep 16th 2003, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

i lived in cyprus for a quite a few years, and u get into the mentaility of not going out when the sun is at its hottest, always wear a hat and sunscreen, but i found that your body adjusts to the heat, your skin is not so sensitive and does not burn so much but we always wore sunscreen even though we were always tanned, nice weather is usually a rareity in this country so we tend to be taken unawares sometimes

i take it now u are hot stuff

arlene
Old Sep 16th 2003, 5:01 pm
WBB

Originally posted by arlene
i lived in cyprus for a quite a few years, and u get into the mentaility of not going out when the sun is at its hottest, always wear a hat and sunscreen, but i found that your body adjusts to the heat, your skin is not so sensitive and does not burn so much but we always wore sunscreen even though we were always tanned, nice weather is usually a rareity in this country so we tend to be taken unawares sometimes

i take it now u are hot stuff

arlene
im so hot i could melt ice cream lol...i think i need a

Old Sep 16th 2003, 5:44 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: god help me in the australian sun

Billy
Dont worry after a few years you should stop going red. If your skin is like mine you will start to go pillar box purple instead.
Hey who cares.
Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2003, 5:56 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Always remember

Slip, slop, slap

or is it slap, slip, slop!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:02 pm
WBB

Originally posted by brisbec
Always remember

Slip, slop, slap

or is it slap, slip, slop!!!!
what's that?

Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:17 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

what's that?
SLIP on a shirt
SLOP on some suncream
SLAP on a hat, or something along those lines anyway!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:18 pm
High in the Dandenongs

actually the last two maybe the otherway round?
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:06 pm
WBB

Originally posted by h garrett
SLIP on a shirt
SLOP on some suncream
SLAP on a hat, or something along those lines anyway!
is that like the aussie version of the green cross code

STOP

LOOK

LISTEN

:lecture: :lecture:

Old Sep 16th 2003, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

You will see it advertised and said everywhere in Oz.
Yes it is a bit like the green cross code, but in this case to help guard against skin cancer.

SLIP SLOP SLAP

Whisky
Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And like the Green Cross Code its well worth taking notice of.

I work as a marshal at motor races, and got into the habit in Oz of slapping on the sunscreen and always wearing a hat. when I do the same at meetings over here people tend to either take the p**s or ask what on earth am I doing. This summer though several people sheepishly came up to me during each meet and asked if they could have some of my sunscreen. The Bloke had the same when he came over - people begging for some protection from the sun.
The weirdest thing about Brits wearing sunscreen though is that very few of us are willing to be seen putting it on. In Oz it is far more socially acceptable than here - strange that people are more concerned about their public image than about preventing at the least, sunburn or even worse, skin cancer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.