Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

go for TRA now or best to wait

go for TRA now or best to wait

Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

paulsharon2kids is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy go for TRA now or best to wait

Ive just about finished getting work ref from my past employment as a carpenter .so could apply to the TRA before sep 1st , if I was to wait till after this date and went though under the new vetassess will I have to do all the collage again to get a licence when we get to oz .

Ive read so much about skilled trades going down-under with a pass from TRA and find if you have no licence its harder finding work and the only way to get a licence is to go back collage

Thanks ps2k
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:58 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: go for TRA now or best to wait

Originally Posted by paulsharon2kids
Ive just about finished getting work ref from my past employment as a carpenter .so could apply to the TRA before sep 1st , if I was to wait till after this date and went though under the new vetassess will I have to do all the collage again to get a licence when we get to oz .

Ive read so much about skilled trades going down-under with a pass from TRA and find if you have no licence its harder finding work and the only way to get a licence is to go back collage

Thanks ps2k
i would say do it now mate
the new vetassess way will end up costing a lot more and it does not give you a licence it only prooves that you are the same as an aussie tradesperson the same as the artc does from the tra,
under the new way you still have to go back to college and do the relevant licencing courses just the same

regards steve
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

thanks steve ..how long is the course for chippys .. does anyone know..
Old Jul 17th 2007, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulsharon2kids
thanks steve ..how long is the course for chippys .. does anyone know..
I did the the course last week its called business managment for trade contractors, there is a competency test in it but it is open book and very easy to pass.
you may have to sit through a fair bit of bulls4it whish is not really relevant to you other parts are interesting, we had an accountant come in and talk to us how to avoid paying tax.
the course is about 400 cheaper if you do as i did and join a trade organisation like the HIA they also help you with the license application and can genuine get it quicker (about half the time)
the slow bit is getting you qualifications turned into aussie ones by the CTQ no shortcuts for these lot it takes about 6 weeks this will cost you between 150 for an easy case to 1000 if they think they need to come on site to look at you
when you ready to for license it costs 523.35 if you expect to earn more than 100,000 a year . again you have subs each year around 200 mark
its the compusary insurance that is the big cost which is specific to each job
ROD chippy
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

helenwilson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
I did the the course last week its called business managment for trade contractors, there is a competency test in it but it is open book and very easy to pass.
you may have to sit through a fair bit of bulls4it whish is not really relevant to you other parts are interesting, we had an accountant come in and talk to us how to avoid paying tax.
the course is about 400 cheaper if you do as i did and join a trade organisation like the HIA they also help you with the license application and can genuine get it quicker (about half the time)
the slow bit is getting you qualifications turned into aussie ones by the CTQ no shortcuts for these lot it takes about 6 weeks this will cost you between 150 for an easy case to 1000 if they think they need to come on site to look at you
when you ready to for license it costs 523.35 if you expect to earn more than 100,000 a year . again you have subs each year around 200 mark
its the compusary insurance that is the big cost which is specific to each job
ROD chippy
Hi, you say the hard been is waiting for your qualifications to be turned into Aussie ones. What happens if you haven't got any formal qualifications. My OH is applying for his skills assessment now and is going on the lines of work spent ie, been a carpenter for 20 years and can give refs. etc. He's also a carpenter.. Do you know that would work for him when and if we get to Perth.

Many thanks
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Im sure you dont need a licence to work in perth as a carpenter . I think your biggest hurdle is getting though the TRA process . I have collage papers from from a 2 year carpentry course that I did in 1997 ( off work though a broken knee) but been working as a chippy for 15 years . just about to send work refs ,collage pass papers and a full work day to day ,week to week ,year to year with photos accounts of . which as been a pain to do....hope this will be enough for the TRA . if anyone can help with anymore that would help the application or any advice it would be great...thanks