Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To go or not to go

To go or not to go

Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To go or not to go

I'm currently in a bit of an odd situation. We've got our visa, sold our house and have our flights booked for the 14 August to go and never come back.

Thing is I am an IT contractor and am earning a decent amount of money at the moment but have just learned that my contract will not be renewed at the end of this month - my boss has brought in my replacement a month early so I am surplus to requirements. As such I have 6 weeks between the end of my contract and leaving and I am currently looking for contracts to fill my time. The problem is that most contracts are for 3 months minimum and rates are very good at the moment.

So what do I do? We have to validate before October and had planned to validate and move permenantly at the same time, but I know that once we get to Perth I will earn alot less than I currently do. If I validate and come back to contract for 6 months or a year we will have alot more money to put down as deposit on a house making our life easier in the long term, on the other hand we want to have a less materialistic lifestyle once we move and money won't be so important. I'm stumped, we have made some money on our house but nowhere near enough to be mortgage free when we arrive in Perth. We haven't got any kids so this could be the golden opportunity to set ourselves up for life, what do I do?????
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:08 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To go or not to go

If I was in your shoes I'd go to Perth. OK, so you'll lose out on a bit of money but you can get yourselves established and settled and start enjoying the lifestyle you were looking forward to. Although having it helps money isnt everything...

Go for it!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:10 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Poor you. we may be in the same situation later on in the year! we have to decide weather to go with what we have or stay for a while and take more. i think that in your case with no kids and such you could go with the intension of staying but if you can't find a job with the $$$$ you are looking for come back and save for a bit.
If you keep an open mind you might save yourself some headaches.
Good luck whatever way you jump

louise
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:13 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

People like you don't deserve to live in Australia
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:16 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
People like you don't deserve to live in Australia
Don't start fraser
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I'm currently in a bit of an odd situation. We've got our visa, sold our house and have our flights booked for the 14 August to go and never come back.

Thing is I am an IT contractor and am earning a decent amount of money at the moment but have just learned that my contract will not be renewed at the end of this month - my boss has brought in my replacement a month early so I am surplus to requirements. As such I have 6 weeks between the end of my contract and leaving and I am currently looking for contracts to fill my time. The problem is that most contracts are for 3 months minimum and rates are very good at the moment.

So what do I do? We have to validate before October and had planned to validate and move permenantly at the same time, but I know that once we get to Perth I will earn alot less than I currently do. If I validate and come back to contract for 6 months or a year we will have alot more money to put down as deposit on a house making our life easier in the long term, on the other hand we want to have a less materialistic lifestyle once we move and money won't be so important. I'm stumped, we have made some money on our house but nowhere near enough to be mortgage free when we arrive in Perth. We haven't got any kids so this could be the golden opportunity to set ourselves up for life, what do I do?????

Hi,

It might be a silly question but couldn't you move your flight forward???

fabie
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
Don't start fraser
Well some people just invite it
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:23 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Weigh up the costs, but if you make the trip out to validate, flights hotels no doubt treat it holiday style, spend loads of dosh, then surely you will have to do all that again when you return to live! Go on go for it Australia is calling!!!
Good luck in whatever you decide!
ViVi
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hi,

It might be a silly question but couldn't you move your flight forward???

fabie
I asked about that but because of when we booked the flights and paid for them we would lose most of the value of the flights. I'm thinking about finding a contract and either having a month holiday in Oz to set things up and then fly back (perhaps leaving Clare in Oz) or else giving it 6 months where if I don't find a decent job in Perth then I'll return to the UK for 6 months or a year.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

on the other hand we want to have a less materialistic lifestyle once we move and money won't be so important.
What are you going to pay the bills with? Apart from petrol everything is expensive here when you are earning Aussie dollars, especially if you are earning less then in the UK, which you probably will be.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:33 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

if you have already sold your house, wont you have to pay rent on somewhere while you work on a 3/6 month contract?

seems a bit daft ...why not do what louise suggested - go and see whats what, and if you think its going to be a problem, come back and work for 6 months.

good luck on whatever you decide!

sue
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
if you have already sold your house, wont you have to pay rent on somewhere while you work on a 3/6 month contract?

seems a bit daft ...why not do what louise suggested - go and see whats what, and if you think its going to be a problem, come back and work for 6 months.

good luck on whatever you decide!

sue
that is true but rent on a small place like the 1 bed house we are renting at the moment isn't cutting a huge swathe through what I am earning and as Renth pointed out, everything is expensive when you are earning Aussie dollars.

I think you ar eright, try it for 6 months with a view to coming back for 6 months if it doesn't pan out could be the best of both options.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:39 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

that is true but rent on a small place like the 1 bed house we are renting at the moment isn't cutting a huge swathe through what I am earning and as Renth pointed out, everything is expensive when you are earning Aussie dollars.

I think you ar eright, try it for 6 months with a view to coming back for 6 months if it doesn't pan out could be the best of both options.

validate your visa and use the time to have a well earned holiday, can i come too????? i can leave my kids with you too if you like!?

sue
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:41 am
forever hopeful

validate your visa and use the time to have a well earned holiday, can i come too????? i can leave my kids with you too if you like!?

sue
Ony if i can leave mine
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

sue
I'm not sure how Clare would like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.