Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Go Home or try Brisbane?

Wikiposts

Go Home or try Brisbane?

Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice
Default Re: Go Home or try Brisbane?

Thanks guys, as always you have all been very helpful. We will definately come over at Christmas and then once the rellies have gone home.

The household consensus is that we will sell up in Melbourne and try Brisbane for a couple of years. Kids are 7 and 10 so we only have 3 years to decide due to final high school years etc.

The area we live in will depend on where hubby gets work, although as a welder it doesn't look like it will be too much of a problem and he can always fly up for interviews nearer the time.

Haven't ruled out any areas as long as we are within a couple of hours drive from the gold coast for day trips/weekends away. Looked at Byron Bay and it looks good although the job situation would obviously dictate that.

I will no doubt be asking for suburb advice early next year
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My best friend lives in Brisbane has done for 13 years and would come back to Melbourne tomorrow if oh would come.

I find it more boring they are into the Sydney type club scene and shops are not open all the time like they are here.

Also the beaches where they live are not real and there are sharks, pythons that live in the yard, creepy crawleys that like the heat.

Humid in summer, no-one dresses up there too warm.

Now you may love all this so get up there for an extended holiday and see if you like it.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals

Also the beaches where they live are not real and there are sharks, pythons that live in the yard, creepy crawleys that like the heat.

I am guessing as the beaches are fake, the sharks must also be fake, are they the inflatable ones you buy in K mart, or the jaws mechanical variety??

dolphins are so passe
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:45 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

The cost of housing in Brisbane and Melbourne is very similar. If your are 45k out from the city in Melbourne you'll be 40km out from the city in Brisbane.It will be warm there and your only a 1 hr drive to another city (GC). Your also close to other holiday destinations that have a good international feel about them.

Last edited by Weebie; Aug 8th 2010 at 5:58 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have to agree - the world switches off a lot faster in QLD. It's darker earlier.
It also gets brighter earlier

4:45 am sunrises are excellent for the early risers, but a nightmare for those who love to sleep in...

Bunnings do a roaring trade in outdoor patio lights ...

Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:14 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

My best friend lives in Brisbane has done for 13 years and would come back to Melbourne tomorrow if oh would come.

I find it more boring they are into the Sydney type club scene and shops are not open all the time like they are here.

Humid in summer, no-one dresses up there too warm.

Now you may love all this so get up there for an extended holiday and see if you like it.
this is a joke right?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:34 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is knee-deep in Pommies,They cant all be wrong...Can they?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225895294962
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:41 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Brisbane is knee-deep in Pommies,They cant all be wrong...Can they?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225895294962
Aussies here proudly tell me they're a Pom and it turns out they mean three generations back

where the heck do these stupid newspapers get those figures from
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

When you go to Brissy make sure you have enough time to look around the Gold Coast. We just love it here and there is more than enough to do and see. We never have a weekend when something isnt happening and we have not even scratched the surface yet.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RenShen
When you go to Brissy make sure you have enough time to look around the Gold Coast. We just love it here and there is more than enough to do and see. We never have a weekend when something isnt happening and we have not even scratched the surface yet.

Agree! We had a month there on our reccie - it's an amazing place! We stayed in Pacific Pines which is lovely. We were 20 mins from the beach and 40 mins from the rain forest and mountains - beautiful
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Not a joke about Brisbane, not everyone likes to live inside all summer like my friend does. Tied to an aircon.

Yep there is more to do in Melbourne that is why my friend's sons do not live up there with them.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Not a joke about Brisbane, not everyone likes to live inside all summer like my friend does. Tied to an aircon.

Yep there is more to do in Melbourne that is why my friend's sons do not live up there with them.
We live an hour south of Brisbane and I don't handle the heat too well but I have to say that our Summer is spent out and about enjoying ourselves. No need to be tied to aircon.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:29 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We live an hour south of Brisbane and I don't handle the heat too well but I have to say that our Summer is spent out and about enjoying ourselves. No need to be tied to aircon.
What is this "air con" of which people speak?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
What is this "air con" of which people speak?
Nasty thing that blows cold air at you until your fingers turn blue and you can't type any longer. Best avoided
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:24 am

Tied to aircon

It's strange how people who don't live in Bris think this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.