Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Glen Waverley Melbourne

Glen Waverley Melbourne

Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Glen Waverley Melbourne

Hi,
We are going to rent a house when we arrive in Melbourne for the initial period and after trawling through the adverts on realestate.com it looks like
there are plenty nice houses that are not too expensive to rent in the Glen Waverley suburb.
We will have a budget of around $300-$350/ week.
Does anybody know what this area is like for transport links, is it a nice area, restaurants, bars etc. Just trying to get an idea of areas before we land to try and save a bit of time. The company I will be working for will be giving us accom for the first moth but after that we will need to find somewhere.

Cheers
Michael.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glen Waverley Melbourne

Originally Posted by 29palms
Hi,
We are going to rent a house when we arrive in Melbourne for the initial period and after trawling through the adverts on realestate.com it looks like
there are plenty nice houses that are not too expensive to rent in the Glen Waverley suburb.
We will have a budget of around $300-$350/ week.
Does anybody know what this area is like for transport links, is it a nice area, restaurants, bars etc. Just trying to get an idea of areas before we land to try and save a bit of time. The company I will be working for will be giving us accom for the first moth but after that we will need to find somewhere.

Cheers
Michael.
GW is a reasonably good suburb and is at the end of one railway line (not surprisingly called the GW line) with regular trains into the CBD. Average property values are about $425K compared to an all Melbourne average of about $385K so you can see it is slightly 'above average'. At one time it was towards the edge of the metropolitan area but now the 'burbs extend far beyond GW. It has a sister suburb of Mt Waverley which is closer to the city but has similar property values. I can't see any problems with living in GW FWIW.

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Thanks for that.
I have tried to put a search on google to see if there is any sites about the place but cannot find anything aprt from the local golf course.
I will be working in Box Hill which doesn't look to far away.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:20 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that.
I have tried to put a search on google to see if there is any sites about the place but cannot find anything aprt from the local golf course.

http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ncas/m...glenwavly.html

http://www.centro.com.au/tgsc.htm
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.
Yep, Box Hill isn't too far away from GW - under 10K's or just over 5 miles.

GW comes under Monash City Council so you will find a lot of info at the Council's website:

http://www.monash.vic.gov.au/services/rates.html

One of Bordy's links is to a page from Monash University which is in Clayton South not too far away from GW.

Box Hill comes under the City of Whitehorse I would guess (a famous landmark there is the statue of the white horse in Whitehorse Rd also known as the Maroondah Hwy.

http://www.whitehorse.vic.gov.au/Act...Type_Id=1&h=-1

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:18 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzTennis

Box Hill comes under the City of Whitehorse I would guess (a famous landmark there is the statue of the white horse in Whitehorse Rd also known as the Maroondah Hwy.

http://www.whitehorse.vic.gov.au/Act...Type_Id=1&h=-1

OzTennis
I was on whitehorse road as you were writing this. I was round the corner getting petrol from the garage on corner of Whitehorse & Springvale.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bordy
I was on whitehorse road as you were writing this. I was round the corner getting petrol from the garage on corner of Whitehorse & Springvale.
Keep those hands on the wheel Bordy, no posting on the move! I had a feeling you travelled to and fro work via that way. That intersection has to be one of Melbourne's busiest as you will know. Fun in peak times. :scared:

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:29 pm
The Godfather

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Keep those hands on the wheel Bordy, no posting on the move! I had a feeling you travelled to and fro work via that way. That intersection has to be one of Melbourne's busiest as you will know. Fun in peak times. :scared:

OzTennis
It sure is a nightmare at peak times. Hopefully the new freeway might help when it opens in a couple of years.