Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are glasses (spectacles) expensive in Australia ?

Are glasses (spectacles) expensive in Australia ?

Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Are glasses (spectacles) expensive in Australia ?

Originally Posted by Wol
As always, of course, one can only speak from one's own experience so yes, Rodenstock. It's a direct comparison between the US and Oz for the same thing (except that the Oz cost didn't include the frames!)
Rodenstock R4660 B

UK £203.95
http://www.smartbuyglasses.co.uk/des...0-B-31595.html

AUS $361.95
http://www.visiondirect.com.au/desig...0-B-31595.html

Ahh, but I see you compared Australia against the US... oops

Can't find this one in the USA, but here is Canada...

C$293.95
http://www.smartbuyglasses.ca/design...0-B-31595.html

All these sites are almost identical, must be the same company.

Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

ABCD as always I am impressed by your Googlings but the Rodenstock frames you show are not the same and in any case I was talking about the lenses as comparison.

The Australian lenses alone cost well over twice what the frame and lenses together in the US.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
ABCD as always I am impressed by your Googlings but the Rodenstock frames you show are not the same and in any case I was talking about the lenses as comparison.

The Australian lenses alone cost well over twice what the frame and lenses together in the US.
Not the same as yours maybe, but then we don't know what yours were, but the prices of those three frames that I checked were all for identical frames, same picture, same model number etc, for real comparison purposes.

So now we need some lens details to compare for a real price comparison

Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH
I have a very complex lense, my last pair of glasses in the UK cost around GBP400, I have just bought a new pair here in Oz came to around $700 but then I have health insurance so got $'s back - for that reason its cheaper for me to buy my glasses here in Oz.

Did once to buy glasses in HK while passing through - nightmare! Somehow "thin lenses" translated to "jam jar bottoms please"
I checked this out quite throughly before my last trip back to the UK. I have special lenses as well.... highest density plastic, multifocals... AFAIK you can only get the top lenses from one source in Japan. Hence the prices work out the same... except you get rebates in Aus from your Health Insurance and also in my case, my employer.

I phone a couple of places with my script in the UK before I left, and they came out at roughly the same price. I tried to match the frames also. Could be different now with the exchange rate.

Thing is you can easily go back to your opticians here if there is a problem.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

evishalarora is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG - GBP 400, AUD 800

Thats really shocking.

In India, its way less. A good branded frame would cost you between 50$-100$. Eye testing is almost free, but If you get it done from a very reputed hospital it will cost you around 5$-10$. then about glasses branded glass come way with in the range of 50$ so all in 105-155$.

One more thing, If you are not a brand lover, you will get all of above within 25-40$

Regards,
Vishal Arora
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see anyone get multi focal 1.76 Plastic Double Aspheric Lenses for less than 600 Aud. Only Supplier that I know of is Seiko of Japan.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by evishalarora
OMG - GBP 400, AUD 800

Thats really shocking.

In India, its way less. A good branded frame would cost you between 50$-100$. Eye testing is almost free, but If you get it done from a very reputed hospital it will cost you around 5$-10$. then about glasses branded glass come way with in the range of 50$ so all in 105-155$.

One more thing, If you are not a brand lover, you will get all of above within 25-40$

Regards,
Vishal Arora
How do the average wages compare in India to the difference between the branded glasses ?

Non brand name ones here cost a lot less too

Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not the same as yours maybe, but then we don't know what yours were, but the prices of those three frames that I checked were all for identical frames, same picture, same model number etc, for real comparison purposes.

The point is that the Australian LENSES cost several times what the identical lenses AND frames cost in the USA. Allow a bit for the two year between the costs for inflation and it's still an enormous difference - even not taking into account the time the Australian ones took and the fact they had to be made twice because they made slapdash measurements.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
The point is that the Australian LENSES cost several times what the identical lenses AND frames cost in the USA. Allow a bit for the two year between the costs for inflation and it's still an enormous difference - even not taking into account the time the Australian ones took and the fact they had to be made twice because they made slapdash measurements.
Which optician was that one ? I assume it doesn't apply to all Opticians ?

How do average lenses compare in price as opposed to those Rodenstock ones ?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

ozhopeful will become famous soon enough

you're not just paying for the product, you're paying for the service.

as previously posted if you have to return to have them remade, the prescription was wrong/the fitting was poor but you're happy because you paid less for them then that's fine.

when you pay what you consider over the odds for your glasses, you should be getting more personal time with the optometrist/dispenser and the peace of mind that if something is wrong that it will be sorted with a minimum of fuss

you get what you pay for
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:30 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>you get what you pay for<<

Unfortunately - as in my case above - increasingly this doesn't apply, especially in my experience in Australia.

Some of the worst service and delivery that I have had here has been the most expensive. It's all to easy for new arrivals to be conned even by "reputable" firms.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I have astigmatism and have single lense glasses. Check up was bulk billed and the glasses, with night vision lense thing cost $100 as they were half price. I don't have private health and I'm not bothered about advertising a brand on the arm of my specs so they weren't stupidly expensive.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:34 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

I use Goggles4u......i get my eyes tested and get a copy of my prescription, then go online and choose your frames etc...easy

I have used them on numerous occasions and never had any issues, on average 2 pairs, delivered is around $80....not bad compared to what the shops are charging.

They go a good range of frames and sizes. Worth having a look...
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Or you could just listen to someones experience of costs and take them at their word, rather than spending time googling trying to find ways to disprove them, which you can never do unless you were standing in the shop with them at the time it happened.

Its a bit like when people try to find statistics to prove someone wrong when everyone knows 90% of staistics are made up. I hate it when people do that to
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
I use Goggles4u......i get my eyes tested and get a copy of my prescription, then go online and choose your frames etc...easy

I have used them on numerous occasions and never had any issues, on average 2 pairs, delivered is around $80....not bad compared to what the shops are charging.

They go a good range of frames and sizes. Worth having a look...
I couldnt get my prescription online with anything over a 1.67 hi definition lens... I tried a lot of places as well.

Confused about Seiko, who make the 1.74 lenses, as they are a Japanese company... how can they sell Japanese made lenses cheaper in America ? Maybe people are buying Pentax ones which dont carry the double aspheric.

Frames are easy to get cheap.... Lenses impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.