Gladstone

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

katdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nice
Default Gladstone

Hi,

My partner and I have arrived in Gladstone, QLD on a 457 visa (via his work) and as expectations go we are slightly disappointed but we're trying to stay positive! There are actually more shops than we expected but there's just something about it (not sure what yet!) that we can't settle into.

Accommodation is horrifically expensive as is the generall cost of living here and the fomalities required to obtain a property rental especially in the nicer areas (Tannum/Boyne) is rather daunting - as it may actually take months to get somewhere at a reasonable cost. We knew it wasn't going to be fantastic or like other areas of Oz I have visited or even our preferred choice of area but were keen to give it a go for a few months before looking to transfer somewhere else. However, we can't help but now feel we are going to pay all our income towards accommodation and the cost of living here. It even was on the news yesterday about how expensive it is here compared to the Gold Coast!

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on the area and if there are any people who are in the area that would even like to meet up?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:25 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gladstone

Sorry to hear you're not finding it easy. We are just about to move from Cairns (no work) to Mackay (plenty of work) and I know it's going to be depressing to move from a lush tropical paradise to a high viz work town - unfortunately it's the uglier places in Qld that have work and money right now due to the problems in the tourism industry. Luckily we have a boat so we don't have to face the inflated rental prices in these mining towns but I've just checked on www.realestate.com.au and I see what you mean - easily double Cairn's prices. Any chance of fly in fly out with your partner's work? I know some people who fly in fly out from Cairns to Gladstone for work (4 weeks on 4 off).

Hopefully some people who can meet up will come along soon and you can find a bit of a social network. Good luck - chin up - it's not forever and is a start in Oz.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

RCJ81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there. Sorry to hear you are not enjoying Gladstone too much. My partner and I are moving over in a couple of months (457 visa as well). We are not expecting too much but hope to enjoy the sunshine and get into outdoor activities. Hope things get better for you guys! Is it mostly the cost of living there that puts you off or are there other factors?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

katdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nice

Thanks guys for your kind words.

I dont think fly in/out would be an option. You're right that all the work is in the uglier places which is unfortunate but its not forever and as you say its a start in oz which is exactly what we were viewing it as.

Its mainly the cost of living here that puts us off. we seem to have lived on the upper scale back in the UK and now feel we are more on the breadline due to the costs and actually won't save much if anything. I think we're just a little concerned we may not be living as comfortably as we did back home which wouldn't be an issue if the place where we live is ok . Average cost of accommodation here (for something decent) is $650 per week plus bills etc. Car prices are at least $14000 for equivalent to an 04 plate back home. general shopping etc is average for oz it seems.

Gladstone itself isn't as bad as i thought it would be, its just pretty isolated and far from everything else! I have a professional qualification and I'm struggling to find work without having to travel to Rockhampton or Bundaberg region.

Sorry if it sounds all negative, I dont want to put anyone off! I know from speaking to people in town they have all felt the same but are here as they need work. I'm sure once we get on the coastline for leisure time we'll remember why we want to be here! we certainly don't want to go back to the UK!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:44 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katdan28
Hi,

My partner and I have arrived in Gladstone, QLD on a 457 visa (via his work) and as expectations go we are slightly disappointed but we're trying to stay positive! There are actually more shops than we expected but there's just something about it (not sure what yet!) that we can't settle into.

Accommodation is horrifically expensive as is the generall cost of living here and the fomalities required to obtain a property rental especially in the nicer areas (Tannum/Boyne) is rather daunting - as it may actually take months to get somewhere at a reasonable cost. We knew it wasn't going to be fantastic or like other areas of Oz I have visited or even our preferred choice of area but were keen to give it a go for a few months before looking to transfer somewhere else. However, we can't help but now feel we are going to pay all our income towards accommodation and the cost of living here. It even was on the news yesterday about how expensive it is here compared to the Gold Coast!

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on the area and if there are any people who are in the area that would even like to meet up?
Accommodation in Gladstone is a growing problem. In fact it is a significant issue for the major employers (mining and LNG companies) - over the next 5 yrs there will be a large influx of workers all looking for somewhere to stay !!

My advice to you would be as follows..... if your partner is in the mining/LNG field, encourage him to work extremely hard, network, and take every opportunity to get his foot firmly in the door. Objective for him is to increase his pay rapidly and get a firm grounding.

If your partner isn't in mining- I would give it a few months more then look for other options across Aus.

ps - re: the coastline, Gladstone is having a very hard time right now.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-1...k-fish/2905948
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:11 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding trying to buy a car I'd definitely go down to Brisbane to buy one. There is such a big price discrepancy between Brisbane and the rest of Qld. We've paid $5k for our two late 1990s landrovers in Brisbane compared to asking prices in Cairns and Townsville of around $8-9k for the equivalent. Try gumtree, ebay etc in Brisbane areas and drive it up.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Accommodation in Gladstone is a growing problem. In fact it is a significant issue for the major employers (mining and LNG companies) - over the next 5 yrs there will be a large influx of workers all looking for somewhere to stay !!

My advice to you would be as follows..... if your partner is in the mining/LNG field, encourage him to work extremely hard, network, and take every opportunity to get his foot firmly in the door. Objective for him is to increase his pay rapidly and get a firm grounding.

If your partner isn't in mining- I would give it a few months more then look for other options across Aus.

ps - re: the coastline, Gladstone is having a very hard time right now.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-1...k-fish/2905948
All this is the same as what has happened in the coastal towns of Northern WA, and it's a ridiculous situation. Governments/councils have known for years that these booms are coming and have done little to prepare. I think these rural councils are run by hicks who are completely out of their depth when it comes to dealing with this massive expansion. In WA, the government has slowly got it's shit together and is now starting on massive upgrades to Karratha, Dampier, Port Hedland etc. Broome and Onslow to follow. I'm sure Qld will get there eventually.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
All this is the same as what has happened in the coastal towns of Northern WA, and it's a ridiculous situation. Governments/councils have known for years that these booms are coming and have done little to prepare. I think these rural councils are run by hicks who are completely out of their depth when it comes to dealing with this massive expansion. In WA, the government has slowly got it's shit together and is now starting on massive upgrades to Karratha, Dampier, Port Hedland etc. Broome and Onslow to follow. I'm sure Qld will get there eventually.
Agreed, regional Qld is obviously a lot more populated than regional WA so they might have larger councils to deal with that are harder to push around....something needs to be done though...