Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Giving up smoking!!

Giving up smoking!!

Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Giving up smoking!!

i have given up ish, I never said i was going to give up for good and now only buy a packet of fags if im going out for a drink, works for me and it works because i know im not giving them up entirely.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:30 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kris maynard
I am giving up smoking on Monday (again) anyone else given up recently or about too!
Top tips and advice to help me along!!

Kris xx
After several mini-attempts at quitting, it finally became apparent that I wasn't quitting at all, I was just having a break continuously.

Then an opportunity came up to match giving up smoking with a particular event, so I had loads of time to think about it, prepare my mind etc. Since then, I haven't smoked at all (6 months) and now, really dislike the smell intensely. I won't lie and say it has been easy but, as mentioned above, a strong mind / will and you will get there.

No patches, gum, zyban etc......just plan to give up and do it.... your body will love you forever.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:32 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I gave up at Easter after reading Alan Carrs book about it.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I stopped smoking in 1995 after reading Allen Carr's method. The book is a best seller all around the world and is called - The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I thoroughlly recommend this book to anyone wishing to escape cigarette addiction.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:55 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers everyone
My mates on her way round with Alan Carrs book so will read it this weekend!

Id love to be a social smoker one now and again but im either a non smoker or a 20 aday so time to give up again, this time hopefully for good!
I will use the gum for a couple of days if the book dont work just to kill the awful back of the throat craving!! Worked for me last time!! Then it was down to will power and focusing was doing really well but Robs dad became really ill and didnt have the energy to keep focusing so went back to the fags , i know thats a crap excuse coz smoking dosnt get rid of stress at all!

Shall see how it goes

Kris x
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:03 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers everyone

Id love to be a social smoker one now and again but im either a non smoker or a 20 aday so time to give up again, this time hopefully for good!
I will use the gum for a couple of days if the book dont work just to kill the awful back of the throat craving!! Worked for me last time!! Then it was down to will power and focusing was doing really well but Robs dad became really ill and didnt have the energy to keep focusing so went back to the fags , i know thats a crap excuse coz smoking dosnt get rid of stress at all!

Shall see how it goes

Kris x
Gave up after reading Alan Carrs book. Just read it and you'll understand.

There is no great mystery to giving up fags and lets be honest smoking in Australia is simply unacceptable in most public places now. Even in the UK its now less than 25% of people...a dying breed...literally!

Just do yourself a favour and stop. I know you can
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:22 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers everyone

Shall see how it goes

Kris x
Out of curiosity, Kris, why do you smoke? Why do you feel the need to smoke?

I smoked probably 25 a day, for nearly 25 years. Started when I was 15 (). Big mistake. But I made loads of attempts to quit - never succeeded because I never really wanted to quit, and I didn't lose the need to smoke. I needed the crutch of smoking. Then after three miscarriages, I woke up one morning and realised I simply didn't need to smoke any more and didn't want to. And I didn't. I chucked my fags away and haven't had one since.

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but no matter how strong your will power, and no matter how much you want to give up, you will only be permanently successful if you have dealt with the reason you started smoking in the first place and no longer need to smoke. That starts when you work out why you smoke....

I wish you luck - it's very esteem-boosting to kick such a foul habit. Although it doesn't seem quite so foul when you're smoking!

If I can help, PM me. You may find some homoeopathic nux vomica helps.

Sue
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:40 pm
del
Forum Regular

del is an unknown quantity at this point

Alan Carr's book is the only way to go. That is one very clever guy whose gift is to put it all in such a way that he really does open your eyes to the stupidity of smoking.

I've smoked since I was 14, am now 37, and gave up 8 months ago. Gave up for 8 months and 3 months also over the past 3 or 4 years, but this time it's 3rd time lucky there's no way I'm going back.

It's all in the head and down to willpower. Don't bother with the gum/patches, go cold turkey. If you are deadly serious about giving up, and if you can survive a day of your normal routine, you've got it cracked, as it shows you're mentally prepared.

The best bit of advice that I can remember from the book? You are not "giving up" fags. You're not giving up anything! On the contrary, you're gaining a hell of a lot (better health, saving money, high self esteem, etc..)

Whatever route you choose, I wish you all the best.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:26 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Out of curiosity, Kris, why do you smoke? Why do you feel the need to smoke?

I smoked probably 25 a day, for nearly 25 years. Started when I was 15 (). Big mistake. But I made loads of attempts to quit - never succeeded because I never really wanted to quit, and I didn't lose the need to smoke. I needed the crutch of smoking. Then after three miscarriages, I woke up one morning and realised I simply didn't need to smoke any more and didn't want to. And I didn't. I chucked my fags away and haven't had one since.

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but no matter how strong your will power, and no matter how much you want to give up, you will only be permanently successful if you have dealt with the reason you started smoking in the first place and no longer need to smoke. That starts when you work out why you smoke....

I wish you luck - it's very esteem-boosting to kick such a foul habit. Although it doesn't seem quite so foul when you're smoking!

If I can help, PM me. You may find some homoeopathic nux vomica helps.

Sue

Thanks Sue

Why do I smoke? Aint got a clue really have given up a few times before been totally focussed and found it pretty easy!
I hate the smell ,everytime i light up I think I dont even want this but still continue to Smoke it!
I hate what it does to your body!
I know I dont need to smoke no matter how stressful when my 3rd child was born was seriously ill in the special baby unit this was probably the worst most stressful time of my life and i didnt smoke everytime i have found out i was pregnant i have given up instantly without giving it a second thought !!

I know i can do it , it just helps when you have people kicking you up the arse ,giving there advice and experiences!!

I have just started reading Alan Carrs book!

Lets see what happens!!

Cheers all!!

Kris xx
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

I am giving up smoking on Monday (again) anyone else given up recently or about too!

Kris xx
Hi Kris, yep me and hubbie are supposed to be giving up soon! Have said it for the last few years, but we bought 3000 ciggies back from Spain in the summer so when they are gone thats when we are going to stop!!!
jx
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

Kris xx
Hi Kris

I stopped smoking again on Monday just gone. Been smoking regularly since I was 16yr with the odd one from 14yrs.
Used the Allen Carr book back in 2000 and stopped for 18months. Good book which kind of brainwashes your mind back out of all the reasons you tell yourself why you smoke. Well it worked for a while anyway Think I developed a false sense of security that I could have just one as 'I was non smoker' stupid really, and of course a few months later and relationship break up,twas a good excuse to be hooked again.

This time I kept the book in mind and have used about 5 pieces of gum since Tuesday, bit of a crutch really for the times when I feel I REALLY want one. Was against them to begin with 'using nicotine the very thing your addicted to' quote Allen Carr, but hey its better than having all that tar as well.

Oh well they reckon most smokers eventually succeed having attempted to quit a few times.

Good luck and if you get stressed with it feel free to PM me
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Hubby (LilStewie ) gave up again last weekend - he`s using the chewing gum, it seems to be working apart from the fact he a bit of a grumpy git (no change really !! )
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH no i'm not grumpy.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

yep thats what I used last time so will use it again!

Kris x
I've got to admit, the flavours are a lot better now than they used to be - i've got fruit flavour and licorice flavour. 300% better than the old version.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:14 pm
Happy Member

Originally Posted by lilstewie
I've got to admit, the flavours are a lot better now than they used to be - i've got fruit flavour and licorice flavour. 300% better than the old version.

Thats why i only used them for about 2 or 3 days in the new year taste like pepper Yuk rather not bother!

Well done keep it up!!

Kris xx
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Kris, think of the money you'll save
Hilary
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:17 pm
Happy Member

Originally Posted by sunflower7
Hi Kris

I stopped smoking again on Monday just gone. Been smoking regularly since I was 16yr with the odd one from 14yrs.
Used the Allen Carr book back in 2000 and stopped for 18months. Good book which kind of brainwashes your mind back out of all the reasons you tell yourself why you smoke. Well it worked for a while anyway Think I developed a false sense of security that I could have just one as 'I was non smoker' stupid really, and of course a few months later and relationship break up,twas a good excuse to be hooked again.

This time I kept the book in mind and have used about 5 pieces of gum since Tuesday, bit of a crutch really for the times when I feel I REALLY want one. Was against them to begin with 'using nicotine the very thing your addicted to' quote Allen Carr, but hey its better than having all that tar as well.

Oh well they reckon most smokers eventually succeed having attempted to quit a few times.

Good luck and if you get stressed with it feel free to PM me

Hi thanks have just started reading the book to be honest it says everything i think anyway only half way through though!!

I must admit i put this thread on coz i was thinking about it but at the same time making excuses to put it off (like ya Do)

Now cant wait for Monday i will be a non smoker
If you get stressed pm me too we CAN do it!!

Kris x

Ch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.