Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Given the choice, where would you live in NZ?

Given the choice, where would you live in NZ?

Old Dec 11th 2002, 9:40 am
Just Joined

SWoll is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Given the choice, where would you live in NZ?

Only just started to look into emmigrating to NZ as I am sick of the UK. I am an IT consultant with skills that would seem to be sellable in NZ but would like some info from anyone living out there at the moment.

Given the choice, where would you live? What areas should be avoided?

I am married with a 2 year old daughter so schools are important, as is quality of life.

Thanks for any replies
Old Dec 11th 2002, 5:16 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Given the choice, where would you live in NZ?

i'll get back to you tonight with my feelings on where to live in nz ive got to go now !!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2002, 8:02 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all
Smile where to live

I've been as a tourist twice to visit family in 1991 and again this year. It depends on what kind of life you want. Aukland is the most cosmopolitan part and house prices are higher there, but you would get a job easier there.
Tauranga is nice and is getting as popular as Aukland with property prices increasing. Hamilton is a small town to us but large to New Zealanders. That's ok too.

Anyway good luck in your quest for a better life we are considering the same.

Jo
Old Dec 12th 2002, 9:21 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by SWoll
Only just started to look into emmigrating to NZ as I am sick of the UK. I am an IT consultant with skills that would seem to be sellable in NZ but would like some info from anyone living out there at the moment.

I am married with a 2 year old daughter so schools are important, as is quality of life.

Thanks for any replies
Have a look at this thread, loads of useful information about Christchurch.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/t119247.html

Regards,

Cinderella
Old Dec 13th 2002, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SWoll

Thanks for any replies
I heard on a news programme here (Aus) that Aus and NZ are awash with IT professionals and many are having great difficulty in finding work. I don't know how true this is, but you might want to check out the IT job market before making the move.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Bernard
I heard on a news programme here (Aus) that Aus and NZ are awash with IT professionals and many are having great difficulty in finding work. I don't know how true this is, but you might want to check out the IT job market before making the move.
May well be true, you're not the first to comment on this. Is this true though for ALL of NZ and ALL of Australia I wonder? Why are there so many 'IT' jobs advertised if there aren't any jobs??

WHich leads me to next question: Can you lump together all IT professionals? I really genuinely want to know the answer to this! Has confused me for some time that people talk about the job situation for 'IT professionals' as though each is 'equal' to all others in 'the profession'. Do you get me? I'm just wondering if junior and senior level, say, or programmer and RF engineer for instance are 'equals' if you will in the so-called 'IT job market'. Doesn't it matter at all what exactly your skills/expertise/training are when it comes to a 'good' or 'poor' IT job market? Is everyone at every level equally affected?

I know there are many of you out there claiming to be 'IT Professionals', could someone please help me out on understanding this?

Thanks,
TA

Last edited by Black Sheep; Dec 13th 2002 at 9:25 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

SWoll is an unknown quantity at this point

The american,

I agree that the term "IT Professionals" is banded about and doesn't really mean a lot. The UK jobmarket is also flooded with people calling themselves "IT Professionals", but fortunately the vast majority have the same skills/experience so certain types of jobs are oversubscribed (Support etc).

As in most job markets certain skills will always be in demand and the trick is to gain as much experience and knowledge in them as you can, and keep an eye on the market as a whole. As I said in my earlier post after having looked at a number of job sites and spoken to a few NZ consultants and my job skills would seem to be needed (the bonus of a population of 4 million I suppose).
Old Dec 18th 2002, 4:10 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by The American
May well be true, you're not the first to comment on this. Is this true though for ALL of NZ and ALL of Australia I wonder? Why are there so many 'IT' jobs advertised if there aren't any jobs??

WHich leads me to next question: Can you lump together all IT professionals? I really genuinely want to know the answer to this! Has confused me for some time that people talk about the job situation for 'IT professionals' as though each is 'equal' to all others in 'the profession'. Do you get me? I'm just wondering if junior and senior level, say, or programmer and RF engineer for instance are 'equals' if you will in the so-called 'IT job market'. Doesn't it matter at all what exactly your skills/expertise/training are when it comes to a 'good' or 'poor' IT job market? Is everyone at every level equally affected?

I know there are many of you out there claiming to be 'IT Professionals', could someone please help me out on understanding this?

Thanks,
TA
There will always be jobs for good people. I have a couple of friends 'in IT' here in Sydney, a supposedly saturated market, and yet both have managed to easily find work and one of them had several job offers within a few weeks of stepping off the plane from London.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd support that. We have an Internet solutions company sharing our offices and they tell us that there are plenty of people on the market, but the hard thing for them is finding QUALITY people. When they find one, they hire them.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Herman
There will always be jobs for good people. I have a couple of friends 'in IT' here in Sydney, a supposedly saturated market, and yet both have managed to easily find work and one of them had several job offers within a few weeks of stepping off the plane from London.
I have to ask: 'in IT' meaning what area of 'IT' specifically? What exactly do your friends do? And at what sort of companies have they been offered work? It's this 'in IT' generalization again that's most confusing me!

TA!