Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Giveaway car - NZ....

Giveaway car - NZ....

Old Dec 18th 2003, 4:45 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Giveaway car - NZ....

Hi there,

As most of you know, we are returning to the Uk following a disastrous time in NZ. As a result, we are about to sell our car, which we bought 6 weeks ago or so (before things went arse up).

We've been offered $9000 by a dealer as he's going to retail it at $13990....we bought it for $14990. If anyone here wants it, they can have it for $8990 and stop NZ making even more money out of us. By the way , anyone looking to buy a 4x4 or a car...avoid Wholesale Cars Direct...great cars, but very little after service. There are other dealers that are as good price wise, and far better with their after sales service.

They offered us $5000 back for it after just 6 weeks...bunch of ba**ards. Even the dealer that offered us $9K though they were taking the p*ss. It will cost us $3450 to ship + all the UK costs that it will incurr....basically, not worth it.

Anyway, the link is here.....http://www.cars2go.co.nz/system/buye...ils.asp?ID=464

if you want to see it in the flesh.....

all the best, Rich.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

MaryMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Giveaway car - NZ....

Rich,
Why don't you try selling it on trade Me? might get a bit more for it?

http://www.TradeMe.co.nz

MaryMc
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Nice car.

the $5k is about $2k less than what they land them for

You might try some of the larger franchised dealers, some of them will sell on behalf and pay you when it sells.

They make a grand or two and you get the rest, so maybe you can get a tad more than presnt asking????

Doesn't hurt to ask

Regards

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi there,

As most of you know, we are returning to the Uk following a disastrous time in NZ. As a result, we are about to sell our car, which we bought 6 weeks ago or so (before things went arse up).

We've been offered $9000 by a dealer as he's going to retail it at $13990....we bought it for $14990. If anyone here wants it, they can have it for $8990 and stop NZ making even more money out of us. By the way , anyone looking to buy a 4x4 or a car...avoid Wholesale Cars Direct...great cars, but very little after service. There are other dealers that are as good price wise, and far better with their after sales service.

They offered us $5000 back for it after just 6 weeks...bunch of ba**ards. Even the dealer that offered us $9K though they were taking the p*ss. It will cost us $3450 to ship + all the UK costs that it will incurr....basically, not worth it.

Anyway, the link is here.....http://www.cars2go.co.nz/system/buye...ils.asp?ID=464

if you want to see it in the flesh.....

all the best, Rich.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:23 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jamie Smith
Nice car.

the $5k is about $2k less than what they land them for

You might try some of the larger franchised dealers, some of them will sell on behalf and pay you when it sells.

They make a grand or two and you get the rest, so maybe you can get a tad more than presnt asking????

Doesn't hurt to ask

Regards
Thanks, I've tried that route, and because of our limited time leftin NZ, they couldn't really help. I'll just let it go to the dealer that offered me $9k if there's no-one out there that is looking for a car......

I thought it might fit someones needs and thus they could pick it up cheap, before the dealers healthy margin....

Will try Trademe, thanks Mary.

Rich.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:38 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

if you wanna leave it here with me in QT i'll sell it on your behalf then no one pushes you into a corner.Depends how desperate you are for the cash.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a story about a friend of a friend in Perth who was leaving to go back to Switzerland.

He went to the used car dealer who offered him $1000 for his car. The Swiss bloke said, "can I use it for a week and bring it in on the day that I leave and we can sort out the transaction then?"

The used car dealer agreed and a week later the Swiss bloke comes in and the car dealer, knowing he has a plane to catch offers him $100 "take it or leave it".

He had to take it. True story
Old Dec 19th 2003, 1:50 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by deedee
if you wanna leave it here with me in QT i'll sell it on your behalf then no one pushes you into a corner.Depends how desperate you are for the cash.

Thanks a million for that Deedee....if we have no joy, I may well take you up on the offer....

I have a back up plan to px the car against a motorcycle, then ship that instead as it's only $465 to do so compared to $3450 for a car....

all the best, Rich.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 5:48 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

did you ever sort your cat out a home?or are you taking it back to yhe uk via quarentine?
Old Dec 19th 2003, 6:09 am
Life's next chapter is?

did you ever sort your cat out a home?or are you taking it back to yhe uk via quarentine?

Hi Deedee,

Paid the £350 deposit Monday gone for his 6 month quarantine...bloody stupid red tape. Oh well, at least the place is nice for a cattery (Father in Law has checked it out and it's spacious and clean), and near to our original home town in Cheshire for visitation rights. Bloody costly exercise this has been when its all said and done.....oh well, counting down the days til we go back to the UK now....

all the best, Rich.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 6:40 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

so sorry it did'nt work out for you.I do wish you well where ever you next live.I do sympathise, nothing is straight foward about moving overseas.I do feel had it not been so finacially taxing for you maybe you would have learned to love NZ.It is also a shame you never got to see what it is about NZ that makes me and hundreds of thousands of other people love the Southern Alps. Safe travels.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:07 am
Life's next chapter is?

so sorry it did'nt work out for you.I do wish you well where ever you next live.I do sympathise, nothing is straight foward about moving overseas.I do feel had it not been so finacially taxing for you maybe you would have learned to love NZ.It is also a shame you never got to see what it is about NZ that makes me and hundreds of thousands of other people love the Southern Alps. Safe travels.

Yup, that's about the size of it. I'm sure we would have loved the place, but we'll not get the chance to find that out....ho hum, such is life.

all the best, and thanks for the support, regards, Rich.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

When are you actually heading back Rich? Sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up. Are you by any chance passing through Auckland on the way out?

Any improvement on the domestic situation?

Take it easy mate and keep in touch,
Ben
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:41 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by Ben.M
When are you actually heading back Rich? Sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up. Are you by any chance passing through Auckland on the way out?

Any improvement on the domestic situation?

Take it easy mate and keep in touch,
Ben

Hi Ben,

We may be heading through Auckland - it's all a bit up in the air as we have a few things to sort before we can leave Wellington - such as the shipping (finalising and collecting) and the cat. After that we may well head North. The domestic situation is sort of ok, but very volatile. After all, if the hassle with the withdrawn job offer had never occurred, it doesn't change the attitude of the immigration within the Business Migration Unit....basically, that as a one man self supportive business, that's not what NZ wants at present. Ah well....it's out of my control, so there's no point in flipping about it every day. I am gutted though.....and have been left with bitter feelings towards the NZIS.

How's it going for you ...you are settled in Auckland now I believe? Is your business up and running or is it a post-Christmas plan?

all the best, Rich.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rich,

Can understand your bitterness but I guess if you hadn't tried you'd always have been left wondering what might have been. I sometimes can't believe all the hassle and expense that I went through to get my LTBV and for what? A 3 year work visa with severe limitations? It's a big risk to give up everything without the guarantee that you will get PR at the end of it. I'm thinking that I might try to get a job offer and give SMC a go and then run the business on the side. Will wait to see how things pan out when SMC settles down. I kow it won't be easy to get a job offer without having a visa but I am building up a few contacts here so am hoping that something might come of my networking.

I suppose you could say I'm fairly settled or at least as much as I can be until my shipment arrives. Still in a legal dispute with the original franchise company. If they will let me take up the license as originally offered I would. Otherwise, unless they are willing to meet to negotiate a settlement, legal proceedings will be issued in January.

Anyway, if you need somewhere to crash in Auckland for a few days you're more than welcome to come stay. Furniture is a bit lacking at the moment but I have a spare sofabed. Will PM you my contact details.

Make the most of the summer in the meantime.

Good luck,
Ben
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 7:51 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by Ben.M
Hi Rich,

Can understand your bitterness but I guess if you hadn't tried you'd always have been left wondering what might have been. I sometimes can't believe all the hassle and expense that I went through to get my LTBV and for what? A 3 year work visa with severe limitations? It's a big risk to give up everything without the guarantee that you will get PR at the end of it. I'm thinking that I might try to get a job offer and give SMC a go and then run the business on the side. Will wait to see how things pan out when SMC settles down. I kow it won't be easy to get a job offer without having a visa but I am building up a few contacts here so am hoping that something might come of my networking.

I suppose you could say I'm fairly settled or at least as much as I can be until my shipment arrives. Still in a legal dispute with the original franchise company. If they will let me take up the license as originally offered I would. Otherwise, unless they are willing to meet to negotiate a settlement, legal proceedings will be issued in January.

Anyway, if you need somewhere to crash in Auckland for a few days you're more than welcome to come stay. Furniture is a bit lacking at the moment but I have a spare sofabed. Will PM you my contact details.

Make the most of the summer in the meantime.

Good luck,
Ben
Hi Ben,

The SMC route with the business on the side sounds like a good way to get around the limitations of your LTBV. That was our plan, but with the wife getting the job....didn't really pan out. I suppose if we had some form of income, then we could take time to let Gez track down a job, but at present I cannot trade, and the attitude of employers and agencies is such that Gez can get no more than temp work...ie not enough for the SMC. It's come down to a simple decision...fight on on the off chance that something might pan out for Gez, then I can start building a business, or return to the UK and pick up my old clients and customers / market. Even with Gez looking for work, chances are it would not be in Wellington as she is in export. This we find is limited mainly to Auckland as this is the premier port - Wellington is a tendem port controlled from Auckland, so if I continued my LTBV I'd have to resubmit new market research anyway for the new area we proposed to move to.......so near, yet so far......

Obviously the longer we stay here, the less we have to go back to and the less we have to go back with.....so it's sensible to go within the next month, which is the plan.

I do like NZ..it has a lot of upsides, but a lot of downsides too...as does the UK......so it's one set of shortcomings against another.

We hope to get to Auckland for a few days as Gez has a cousin there...I'll give you a shout if we do.

Good luck with the plans....

all the best, Rich.