Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gillard ends Big Australia drive...

Gillard ends Big Australia drive...

Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:11 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Gillard ends Big Australia drive...

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard has declared she does not believe in a ''big Australia'', signalling a major shift in policy on the nation's burgeoning population growth.

In her first significant policy break from the Rudd-era, Ms Gillard said the nation should not ''hurtle down the track towards a big population''.

''I don't support the idea of a big Australia with arbitrary targets of, say, a 40 million-strong Australia or a 36 million-strong Australia. We need to stop, take a breath and develop policies for a sustainable Australia.

''I support a population that our environment, our water, our soil, our roads and freeways, our busses, our trains and our services can sustain.''
http://www.theage.com.au/national/gi...0626-zb1g.html

All sounds typical headline grabbing crap.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gillard ends Big Australia drive...

She's lost my vote already.

This Country will stagnate now.

GILLARD OUT

Thats from a Staunch Labour voter.

Pandering to bloody green groups sickens me.

No more infrastructure spending and more spread of single storey dull red roofs.... this time in regional centers.

Watch this country die a slow death... I'm surprised at my own reaction, but seriously this country will just shrink with no mass Immigration.

If the Libs policy is more migrants, I will definitely vote for them.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 26th 2010 at 10:49 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:58 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

GILLARD OUT

No more infrastructure spending and more spread of single storey dull red roofs.... this time in regional centers.

Watch this country die a slow death... I'm surprised at my own reaction, but seriously this country will just shrink with no mass Immigration.

Pure panic reaction , give the girl a go she has a lot more political nouse than Rudd would ever hope for, what is wrong with single story houses or you the urban creature would prefer we go back to high rise living and the problems that come with ,living in each others pockets.
We do not need more people in this country, only smarter poeple.........MM
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Pure panic reaction , give the girl a go she has a lot more political nouse than Rudd would ever hope for, what is wrong with single story houses or you the urban creature would prefer we go back to high rise living and the problems that come with ,living in each others pockets.
We do not need more people in this country, only smarter poeple.........MM
This Country was total dullsville, with hardly any international input during my first 15 years here. It's only since they opened the gates to migrants from SE Asia and the Sub Continent that things have really progressed, with a more outward looking philosophy and mass improvement in infrastructure around the Country....For xsakes it almost looked like we were going to get an express train line from Melbourne to Sydney for a fleeting moment there. No bloody more though.

Back to the land of the single story dull red roofs...

I'm going to christen this pandering women.... Red roofed Julie
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Good news.

This will keep a lid on house prices.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pomtastic

This will keep a lid on house prices.
That was my first thoughts too.

Combine this news with the tighter visa rules for students we could see near sensible rent prices in Brisbane. Our chances of PR are so low now anyway (student) the only thing I look forward to is lower living cost's for the 2 years we will be here.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Rudd had already back-flipped on this. Is she going to dig up all the policies Rudd has back-flipped on to try and con the voters that she is a new broom? She sat behind Rudd nodding like a plastic dog in the rear window of a car when this was first announced and was in agreement with all the other defunct policies of a failed government.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She got in because the big Mining companies were upset and lobbying like hell... now she says she all for sustainability and trying to appease the Greens. Pandering

She'll be out quicker than Mark Latham..... hopefully.

She wants to turn back the clock 15 years. People will then realise then why Paul Keating called this place the arse end of the world. If people are so dead set on sustainability at all costs, they should move to New Zealand and see what that policy has done to them, and how it holds a Country back. Hopefully the report is bullsheet.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:43 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

She got in because the big Mining companies were upset and lobbying like hell... now she says she all for sustainability and trying to appease the Greens. Pandering

She'll be out quicker than Mark Latham..... hopefully.

She wants to turn back the clock 15 years. People will then realise then why Paul Keating called this place the arse end of the world. If people are so dead set on sustainability at all costs, they should move to New Zealand and see what that policy has done to them, and how it holds a Country back. Hopefully the report is bullsheet.
In 1996, Keatings last year the Australian population was 17.9 million now its 22.2 that is a 24% increase in 14 years, Australia does not need population growth of this magnitude going forward. Migration yes but we also need to educate and retrain people already here and free up unproductive workers who duplicate work for the states that could be done centrally, why does each state need different building regulations, driving licences etc and the $100's of millions of our money to administer them?

As a half serious suggestion if we really need a couple of million extra people just to make up the numbers we should pursue a political union with New Zealand, we might even get a decent football team out of it.

So abolish the states and create an Australasian Union, simple.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
In 1996, Keatings last year the Australian population was 17.9 million now its 22.2 that is a 24% increase in 14 years, Australia does not need population growth of this magnitude going forward. Migration yes but we also need to educate and retrain people already here and free up unproductive workers who duplicate work for the states that could be done centrally, why does each state need different building regulations, driving licences etc and the $100's of millions of our money to administer them?

As a half serious suggestion if we really need a couple of million extra people just to make up the numbers we should pursue a political union with New Zealand, we might even get a decent football team out of it.

So abolish the states and create an Australasian Union, simple.
Half the Kiwi's live in Australia anyway, if we have a union the other half will come; not a good idea. I agree about abolishing the states. It's just set up as an excuse to have more self-serving pollies with their nose in the trough, controlling our lives.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:28 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I think she's doing the right thing for now

We need to take stock. When the GFC looks healthier start again.In the meantime batton down the hatches & cut to grow
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Half the Kiwi's live in Australia anyway, if we have a union the other half will come; not a good idea. I agree about abolishing the states. It's just set up as an excuse to have more self-serving pollies with their nose in the trough, controlling our lives.
...and that's why you will never get rid of them. It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

GILLARD OUT

Australia wont die a slow death. Personally, I dont see why all western nations have to be full to capacity in order to succeed. If we cant survive with what we have, then somethings being done wrong and THAT needs to be dealt with first.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:45 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Australia wont die a slow death. Personally, I dont see why all western nations have to be full to capacity in order to succeed. If we cant survive with what we have, then somethings being done wrong and THAT needs to be dealt with first.
In a lot of countries it's people furnishing new houses that drives the economy - consumer lead economies.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Gillard ends Big Australia drive...

If people are so dead set on sustainability at all costs, they should move to New Zealand and see what that policy has done to them, and how it holds a Country back.
Do you mean a sustainable population mate? The main reason for New Zealand having a sustainable population is that it is unable to attract enough skilled migrants because of the lack of opportunities there. There are a lot of people I have met (one couple just today) who investigated NZ and then chose Oz because of the lack of jobs in NZ.

NZ would love to have the option to decide whether it can have unsustainable population growth.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.