Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting your trade recognised in aus

Wikiposts

getting your trade recognised in aus

Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

no longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to allno longer in scotland is a name known to all
Default getting your trade recognised in aus

i am bricklayer and have had my TRA passed. can anyone tell me how i go about getting my trade recognised in australia and can i only do it once i am in australia..

thanks
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:14 am
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice
Default Re: getting your trade recognised in aus

Originally Posted by stillinscotland
i am bricklayer and have had my TRA passed. can anyone tell me how i go about getting my trade recognised in australia and can i only do it once i am in australia..

thanks

You will need to apply to the TRA for a domestic assessment in Australia. Take all your original documents and get them certified in australia. It's done through TRA in Melbourne. They can issue you with a ARTC certificate recognised in Australia. You can ask them to use the documents used for the initial assessment by statutory declaration. Usually you need the right to live and work in Australia and a valid Australian address.

Cheers
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:14 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iceman
You will need to apply to the TRA for a domestic assessment in Australia. Take all your original documents and get them certified in australia. It's done through TRA in Melbourne. They can issue you with a ARTC certificate recognised in Australia. You can ask them to use the documents used for the initial assessment by statutory declaration. Usually you need the right to live and work in Australia and a valid Australian address.

Cheers
Not to mention having to apply for the appropriate trade licence in the state of your choice, as a trade licence in on state is not necessarily valid in another ie a NSW licence is not valid in QLD and vice versa. You may also have to attend TAFE courses to help gain the state licence. Experience gained overseas may not enable you to start on the level you are currently on,eg if you are a supervisor now, chances are you may have to start at the bottom and work you way up again.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:23 am
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Not to mention having to apply for the appropriate trade licence in the state of your choice, as a trade licence in on state is not necessarily valid in another ie a NSW licence is not valid in QLD and vice versa. You may also have to attend TAFE courses to help gain the state licence. Experience gained overseas may not enable you to start on the level you are currently on,eg if you are a supervisor now, chances are you may have to start at the bottom and work you way up again.

As I'm a refrigeration and airconditioing tech the licence for us is national, but the restricted electrical we need is state to state. If the RPL isn't acceptable, you have to go back to TAFE and get the relevant units. Plus on top of that you need a blue card in QLD and WA. I think it's a green card for SA, but not certain about the other states. I'm a supervisor in the UK, but had to be assessed in the base trade first.