Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting work in Adelaide

Wikiposts

Getting work in Adelaide

Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

mfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Getting work in Adelaide

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but please, for your own sakes, don't just assume you'll be OK. Do some research! See http://www.careerone.com.au for a start.

I just did a search for any job in the state capitals using careerone and got the following:

Sydney 13,789
Brisbane 9,801
Melbourne 8,468
Adelaide 4,932
Perth 1,230

There's a reason why places like Adelaide and Perth have relatively cheap house prices.

I was wondering why you are still here reading posts about OZ , as I remember from a previous post for you, you decided not to go to Adelaide after a thorough thinking and a very long list of serious and silly reasons.
And also, why I always see your name on threads with bad experiences, what is the hell between you and Adelaide or oz.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

mfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brioney
We've only been here 4 months, but that's a shock to us as when we've returned from travelling before we've always got a good job (relative to our work experience) in the UK easily within 2-3 months and plenty of office temping work to keep us going. For those interested, I work in marketing and my partner is in finance. Here we have applied for almost anything we are qualified for, but we have only had 2 interviews each and one temp job each. We have never had a reply to all the ads wanting casual factory workers. We just tried applying for casual gardening/picking work, but so far we have been ineligable to apply as we aren't registered unemployed (we can't be as we haven't been here long enough), but the grape season will start soon and we have been told they never find enough people, so we should get some money coming in in March.

If you are coming out on an SIR visa there are additional problems, as if you don't have a fully permanent visa then you are referred to as 'a traveller' all the time. You may even get grief from grumpy employment agencies ringing you to tell you that you are ineligable to apply for permanent jobs. You can't work for quite a few government departments and large corporates without having PR/Citizenship (it is usually stated on the job ad). I have been told that companies and employment agencies are jittery about giving permanent work to temporary visa holders as if you are in breach of any laws it is they who get fined.

By the way - Adelaide is a great place, the people and the life is good.
I think anyone should be worried about the fact that SIR is temporary as long as he can’t find a job, but if you are working with a certain employer there will be no need to worry nor you nor the employer as you will get the permanent residence after 2 years, the government will not force any SIR holder to leave while he met the conditions.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mfarouk
I was wondering why you are still here reading posts about OZ , as I remember from a previous post for you, you decided not to go to Adelaide after a thorough thinking and a very long list of serious and silly reasons.
And also, why I always see your name on threads with bad experiences, what is the hell between you and Adelaide or oz.
Screech! The self-appointed thought police have arrived on the scene.

Oh dear, I'd better watch out. After all, I committed the cardinal sin of pointing out there are a lot fewer jobs in Adelaide than Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

Ah well, at least I can string a sentence together.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Oh dear, I'd better watch out. After all, I committed the cardinal sin of pointing out there are a lot fewer jobs in Adelaide than Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

your game is an old game that i know well.

Last edited by mfarouk; Feb 1st 2005 at 12:39 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

I am afraid that u need some therapy and badly.

Because someone who is registering himself with 2 or more user names and making these fake scenarios and threads is absolutely having a big problem