Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting very scared

Getting very scared

Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Getting very scared

Just thought I would put a post on

It has always been my dream to move back to OZ.....was there before in my early 30's on a WHV.

I came back to the UK specifically to do my teacher training...do 4 years work experience and then go back permanently.

I met my ex partner in the meantime and he hated OZ so I just resigned myself to the fact I would never go back. I relocated from up North to be with him and have really not felt settled in berkshire....then he bogged off and left me for 6 months to find himself travelling. Needless to say, when he got back we were in separate rooms and have been ever since.

I applied for the STNI sponsorship at the start of the year which I finally got in May, then I sent off my visa application with police check and meds on the way.

Have resigned from my job as really as a teacher you can only do this a couple of times a year and figured I could do supply until things are sorted.....only thing now is I am suddently petrified at the prospect of moving and starting out again alone and not particularly financial secure.

Any advice would be great
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

wwoodee22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting very scared

Go for it - you'll only end up regretting it and a life of 'if only....' is no fun.

Good luck

PS What is the sponsorship you mention?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:34 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

good on you!!! you go for it, life is too short for if only's!!! good luck and like you say if need be you can supply.....loads of money in that....I'm sure that by the end of the school year, which is only just over 5 weeks away, you will be feeling more positive...what age group do you teach and is that what you have applied for?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:39 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you - follow your dreams, its an adventure,
althought its scary just now, its better than looking back with regret.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Thanks for the advice...this whole process is a real rollercoaster don't you think!

I teach secondary design technology and have been sponsored by Victoria....just not sure how long the visa will take. Where are you all heading off to?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:44 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

either sydney or central coast area,
check out the "meet up" part of aussie forum, theres bound to be folk near to where you end up going that you can meet up with so its less scary
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by freckles1970
Just thought I would put a post on

It has always been my dream to move back to OZ.....was there before in my early 30's on a WHV.

I came back to the UK specifically to do my teacher training...do 4 years work experience and then go back permanently.

I met my ex partner in the meantime and he hated OZ so I just resigned myself to the fact I would never go back. I relocated from up North to be with him and have really not felt settled in berkshire....then he bogged off and left me for 6 months to find himself travelling. Needless to say, when he got back we were in separate rooms and have been ever since.

I applied for the STNI sponsorship at the start of the year which I finally got in May, then I sent off my visa application with police check and meds on the way.

Have resigned from my job as really as a teacher you can only do this a couple of times a year and figured I could do supply until things are sorted.....only thing now is I am suddently petrified at the prospect of moving and starting out again alone and not particularly financial secure.

Any advice would be great
hi freckles,
You are far better off without your ex he sounds like a complete arse! It sounds like your heart is in oz and your head in the uk. Do you really want to look back in 10 years and say "I should have done it" how many people do you hear nowadays saying that they wished they had done it when they were young. You go girl! Whats the worst that could happen? - you come back after 6 months, big deal at least you would know you had given it one last try. Whats the best that could happen? - you go get a good job enjoy a nice lifestyle, maybe meet some hunky aussie bloke? Make some new friends and experience new things. Its an opportunity in the palm of your hand. Live each day like its your last cos life is too short.
Why do we always sacrifice things in our life for our men? They never do it for us. If they decide they want to do something, whether we like it or not they will do it. It is part of their genes to be selfish! Its time you thought of what you need and want. Think positive focus on doing all the things that will make you happy.
Just think if your starting out again you will be wiser and more clued up than before, you've done once you know you can do it again.
I know what you mean though. My partner and I have applied for a business visa in Victoria. I have a small business here in the uk which I love doing and it is a thought to have to start from scratch again. Ive already had to do that after a messy divorce 6 years ago. I ve got to the place in my business where i feel quite comfortable and relaxed about it and can enjoy it now without worrying, and now I want to do it again but in oz! It is a scarey thought! But I try to focus on the fact that I know I can do it, it will just be hard work and ive never been afraid of that.
Look at as a brand new start a chance to be what you want to be and remember your much stronger than you think you are. Follow your dream, lots of people dont get that chance.
Sending you some good karma.
Rhona x
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:10 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it Freckles

You don't sound like you'd have much to lose but you'll have a lot to gain.
We're all petrified of emigrating
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough

Hi Freckles

Just wanted to say good luck and I hope that your new life downunder is everything that you hope for. Live life to the full and don't ever regret anything.
We are in a similar position as we are giving up really good jobs and our two boys are giving up good schools and grades for the 'unknown' but you only get one chance at life and we plan to make the most of it.

We are also going to Melbourne on an STNI - have you any idea yet where abouts in Victoria you are hoping to settle?

Amanda
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much for everyone who has taken the time to offer me words of encouragement, this site is amazing. People who know nothing about you can really make a difference when you are at you lowest ebb.

I think you are all right (and guess I felt that too when I started the whole process), just things are starting to move on now and I guess thats the scary part.

Nice to see a few of you are going to Melbourne; ozdreamer I think you are on the june list with me so we may end up with a similar timescale for processing.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:14 am
Just Joined

wwoodee22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rhona
hi freckles,
You are far better off without your ex he sounds like a complete arse! It sounds like your heart is in oz and your head in the uk. Do you really want to look back in 10 years and say "I should have done it" how many people do you hear nowadays saying that they wished they had done it when they were young. You go girl! Whats the worst that could happen? - you come back after 6 months, big deal at least you would know you had given it one last try. Whats the best that could happen? - you go get a good job enjoy a nice lifestyle, maybe meet some hunky aussie bloke? Make some new friends and experience new things. Its an opportunity in the palm of your hand. Live each day like its your last cos life is too short.
Why do we always sacrifice things in our life for our men? They never do it for us. If they decide they want to do something, whether we like it or not they will do it. It is part of their genes to be selfish! Its time you thought of what you need and want. Think positive focus on doing all the things that will make you happy.
Just think if your starting out again you will be wiser and more clued up than before, you've done once you know you can do it again.
I know what you mean though. My partner and I have applied for a business visa in Victoria. I have a small business here in the uk which I love doing and it is a thought to have to start from scratch again. Ive already had to do that after a messy divorce 6 years ago. I ve got to the place in my business where i feel quite comfortable and relaxed about it and can enjoy it now without worrying, and now I want to do it again but in oz! It is a scarey thought! But I try to focus on the fact that I know I can do it, it will just be hard work and ive never been afraid of that.
Look at as a brand new start a chance to be what you want to be and remember your much stronger than you think you are. Follow your dream, lots of people dont get that chance.
Sending you some good karma.
Rhona x
Hi there !! How do you go about a business visa?? Please don't direct me to the Australia House website, I have been looking at it for six months to no avail!!!!!
Grateful for any advice
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough

Hi Freckles

Yes we are both on the same spreadsheet but I noticed that you have front loaded your police checks and had your medicals done at the beginning of the week so you might beat us to it. We have applied for our police checks (if the 40 days is correct we should have these back around the 10th July), the medicals have been booked for the 24th July (wasn't too keen to take the boys out of school, so waited for them to finish for the year).
Have you got any ideas yet when you would like to go over? - if everything works to plan and we get the visa and sell the house in time we are planning on flying out Jan/Feb 08.

Amanda
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

cookem is an unknown quantity at this point

freckles,

I'm in the same position as you, single, mid thirties and hoping to head out soon. I'm also scared and wondering what am I doing, but am thinking that I have nothing to lose so might aswell give it a try. You should definitely go for it.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

What's that corny phrase? You'll never know if you never go" or something similar. Life is too short to worry about the what ifs- go for your dream and come to wonderful Australia

I may be biased, being born and bred here, but I think it's awesome and at least worth a try! I love the UK and have been there a couple of times now and, though it's truly beautiful, I wouldn't give up my homeland for anywhere!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wwoodee22
Hi there !! How do you go about a business visa?? Please don't direct me to the Australia House website, I have been looking at it for six months to no avail!!!!!
Grateful for any advice
you need www.immi.gov.au and follow links for business migrants it gives a few different types of business visas and the criteria to meet.
PM me if you want, Ill help in any way I can though I think Im only just muddling my way through this visa process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.