Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting things sorted on validation trip ?

Getting things sorted on validation trip ?

Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting things sorted on validation trip ?

Planning for Jan validation maybe 2 weeks - can anyone adivse me if I can get things setup initially - like HSBC online banking, Credit Cards, Tax Number etc in this time - or adivse on the things I need to do in that time.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting things sorted on validation trip ?

The short answer is Yes: you can do most things on the validation trip. You have the visa, you are in the country so the fact that you will be going away for a while shouldn't affect anything.

However, you will need to give an address for most things so sort something out. You will change it when you arrive for good.

The bank will waive the 100 point check if you start an account within I belive six months: take your passports along. HSBC were very good and we had the account and credit card up and running in half an hour.

Another thing which is WELL worthwhile is to get a mobile account set up: once you're in contact everything gets much easier. We got Virgin PAYG phones and it worked very well.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
The short answer is Yes: you can do most things on the validation trip. You have the visa, you are in the country so the fact that you will be going away for a while shouldn't affect anything.

However, you will need to give an address for most things so sort something out. You will change it when you arrive for good.

The bank will waive the 100 point check if you start an account within I belive six months: take your passports along. HSBC were very good and we had the account and credit card up and running in half an hour.

Another thing which is WELL worthwhile is to get a mobile account set up: once you're in contact everything gets much easier. We got Virgin PAYG phones and it worked very well.
Is the 100 point check something relating to credit score?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point

Was thinking the HSBC - I am heading to Brisbane, is the internet banking good or should I head to the branch to get things setup - providing there is one there.

Hmm are they likely to take an address that I am there for only 2 weeks ? - or dont I tell them ? Could have my personal mail go there after I leave which is not good.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mish & al
Is the 100 point check something relating to credit score?
Yes. Normally you have to prpduce various bits of ID - a birth cert/passport/driving licence gets you 70 points (I think) but you can only use one of them; then a mix of credit cards/medicare/utility bills is all worth points too. You ned 100 points for a bank account/credit card. However, within 6 weeks of entering Oz, your passport is worth 100 points - if they doubt this, show them the most recent entry-to-Oz stamp. That way you don't need extra ID to open an account.

As for an address after you leave again - go to Australia Post and open a P O Box. Can't be done from the UK, but could be very useful once you are here.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:55 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As for an address after you leave again - go to Australia Post and open a P O Box. Can't be done from the UK, but could be very useful once you are here.
Might be having a blonde moment - but if you set up a PO box - how do you get your mail if say for instance you aren't actually going to do the move for a number of months afterwards?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
Might be having a blonde moment - but if you set up a PO box - how do you get your mail if say for instance you aren't actually going to do the move for a number of months afterwards?
Well, OK you won't unless you leave the key with somone here. But if you are just using it for stuff like Medicare & bank statements, on an account that is virtually dormant, then most of the mail won't matter till you get back here - thats the way I was thinking, anyway.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:47 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Well, OK you won't unless you leave the key with somone here. But if you are just using it for stuff like Medicare & bank statements, on an account that is virtually dormant, then most of the mail won't matter till you get back here - thats the way I was thinking, anyway.
Cheers for that - i thought that the bank stuff would be ok, but wasnt sure if Medicare was 'dormant'.

Thanks though
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Does anybody know the cost of setting up a PO Box please ?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eintracht
Does anybody know the cost of setting up a PO Box please ?

here you go

http://www.auspost.com.au/BCP/0,1080...7EMO19,00.html

hth
pootle26
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Cheers Big Ears.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light

Yes. Normally you have to prpduce various bits of ID - a birth cert/passport/driving licence gets you 70 points (I think) but you can only use one of them; then a mix of credit cards/medicare/utility bills is all worth points too. You ned 100 points for a bank account/credit card. However, within 6 weeks of entering Oz, your passport is worth 100 points - if they doubt this, show them the most recent entry-to-Oz stamp. That way you don't need extra ID to open an account.

Thanks Pollyana!!

We've already done our validation trip just waitin for our bloody house to sell now!!!! I'm already with HSBC here in the UK and when i enquired in Perth they said they can just transfer our accounts!!!!
He didnt go into too much detail about this though so i can now go prepared... when we finally get there!!!

Thanks again
Michelle
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:44 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

First things first....grab a couple of beers, take yourself off to the beach and watch the sun go down..... aaaaand relax.

PS have fun!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

But as Nick Kershaw sang all those years ago....

I Wont Let The Sun Go Down On Me !!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist, in a stupid mood.