Reload this Page >

Getting an IT role in Brisbane from overseas

Getting an IT role in Brisbane from overseas

Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

BrisDubBris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting an IT role in Brisbane from overseas

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for getting an IT role in Brisbane lined up before arrival? I am not having any luck emailing the agencies. Visa is not an issue so just a matter of timing.

I am in the area of infrastructure / enterprise architecture.

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

bogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to all
Default Re: Getting an IT role in Brisbane from overseas

Originally Posted by BrisDubBris
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for getting an IT role in Brisbane lined up before arrival? I am not having any luck emailing the agencies. Visa is not an issue so just a matter of timing.

I am in the area of infrastructure / enterprise architecture.

Thanks
I tell them I could start in maximum 2 weeks if they offer me the job and some are pleased to hear that.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:29 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Try fishing out real employers out of the ads and contacting them directly. Agencies "pool" and "farm" resumes so many ads you see from them are for unexisitng or closed positions. The broader the terms, generally, the more likely it to be bogus. I also start getting a feel that employers are not that willing to pay X times salary in agent fees when they can manage their own hiring, so keep trying and good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:41 am
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

I would echo the previous post and if possible go direct to the companies themselves. You have to put the work in and identify through google etc the companies that you may want to work for.

If you want to use Agents then I found the most successful way was to get them to assume I was in Australia, I did this by buying a skypeIN number in Brisbane which I included on my CV / linkedin / cover letter, took out a skype subscription so I could make free calls to OZ and set up a free yahoo Australia email address. I diverted my SkypeIn number to my mobile and was prepared to get up in the middle of the night to answer calls, no agent ever questioned the fact that I wasn't in Australia! I was in a position however that I was prepared and able to come over at my own expense for an interview and would have stayed for a month or two to explore opportunities.

As it was I had two job offers but these came not via Agents but direct with the companies concerned, the company I now work for flew me out in Biz class for the final interview and selection process at their expense. They then organised and paid for all of the Griswold family to fly out Biz class and for our chattel to be packed, shipped over here and unpacked, they also provided us with temporary accommodation for 6 weeks and a car, we had it so easy !

Best of Luck and don't give up.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:27 am
Just Joined

BrisDubBris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses guys. Going direct to the companies is the way to go. I will make a list of the ones I would like to work for and contact them directly.

I agree that there seems to be a shift away from using agencies. That is certainly the case here in Ireland.

Thanks for the info.