Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting police and health checks

getting police and health checks

Old Aug 21st 2002, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Hamish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting police and health checks

Having just been put on the Skill Matching Database I'd like to be prepared if I suddenly get offered sponsorship. Can anyone tell me how to go about getting police clearance and how long it takes? Also, is there a standard health check procedure and where can I find its list of requirements, or do medical establishments work from a generic checklist?
Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:43 pm
ndaltonb

Default Re: getting police and health checks

Hi Hamish,

Anything to help a devonian.

1. Police check. - Nip down to local police station and fill in the form that requests a check of the police computers for any details on yourself under the data protection act thingy. Cost is £10 per person and is taking about 40 days.

2. Medical. - You have to go to a DIMIA panel doctor (see link for UK Panel Doctors on this page http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/html/links.html ) You will need forms with a whole load of questions on them. 'fraid I can't remember the number of the form right now. Doctor will then do a good medical on you and also take chest x-ray.
Essentially they are checking to see
- you are not contagious
- you are not going to be too expensive.

Hope this helps and good luck

Nigel db

Old Aug 21st 2002, 8:29 pm
kernowjmh23

Default Re: getting police and health checks

Hi Hamish - don't know where you are in Devon, but you can get your medicals done at the Nuffield Hospital in plymouth opposite Derriford - otherwise the next one up the line is Taunton...
Jon