Getting a PhD

Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a PhD

Originally Posted by James6452
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm looking at melbourne (where my gf lives) and i would be able to live with her, so i'd even be happy with just a fee remission scholarship if need be.

I have a few areas i'm particularly interested in (cancer biology, virology, proteomics) but i'd take a less inteesting topic if i could go to the right place.

I'm currently doing a masters at the university glasgow (i'm on course for a top grade) and i did my undergrad at bristol (2.1) so hopefuly i'm qualified enough.

I think it seems like talking to possible supervisors is the first thing i should be doing? maybe sending them a cv?
You have several options, eg proteomics at:
University of Melbourne
Monash
RMIT

As the others have said, you need to do a lot of homework, even before you try contacting anybody (look at research section for that dept, current students, past students, publication lists). Have a look at the relevant pages for prospective PhD students - some require you to submit the research proposal with your application. There are also different timescales in terms of the academic year starting in Feb and ending in Nov, but PhD applications can take a long time to process. It can be a nightmare if you don't choose the right supervisor.

There may be job opportunities for you as well, eg RMIT have a 4 year PhD option if you teach at the uni at the same time. There's a job being just advertised on Seek: http://www.seek.com.au/Job/proteomic...burbs/19287381.

Last edited by HelenTD; Mar 13th 2011 at 12:23 am.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:07 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
mate I thought you enquired about taxi driving or security work when you come to Aus? Nothing wrong with that mate but not exactly using your PhD skills especially a supposedly good PhD
We are all different mate, very different, and believe me, i am different; to unblock a drain can give a better sense of achievement than to solve an equation or understand a new theory/software package. Sometimes we choose career/academic paths which are not suited to one's personalities/needs; i did, i chose wrong. But to admit one is wrong, takes a wise individual; i am happy with my decision, so that makes me a very wise man in my eyes...........

Keith.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:23 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
We are all different mate, very different, and believe me, i am different; to unblock a drain can give a better sense of achievement than to solve an equation or understand a new theory/software package. Sometimes we choose career/academic paths which are not suited to one's personalities/needs; i did, i chose wrong. But to admit one is wrong, takes a wise individual; i am happy with my decision, so that makes me a very wise man in my eyes...........

Keith.
fair enough. Did you get your PhD mate?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:37 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

fair enough. Did you get your PhD mate?
To participate makes you a winner, to lift the cup is a function of participation, we do not all need to lift the cup to be winners, I will let you decide, am I a winner or a participant, have a nice day………….Solve the equation…………….

Keith.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:38 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
To participate makes you a winner, to lift the cup is a function of participation, we do not all need to lift the cup to be winners, I will let you decide, am I a winner or a participant, have a nice day………….Solve the equation…………….

Keith.
so thats a no then
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:48 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

In addition to a good supervisor, I would have thought one's choice of research (field), original research and results are more important to any potential journal, audience or users than which university? Further, some universities, unknown to many, have international excellence in particular areas of research..... but end of the day it up to researcher.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Well my girlfriend is Australian so i'm wanting to move to australia anyway. but i want to do a PhD in biomedical science, i'm going to have to apply for one as an overseas student to do one in Aus i think so i'm looking at applying for a scholarship (i cant afford to pay for it). anyone done this before? any advice on the subject?
Most PhDs are funded in some shape or form. Find the staff pages on the University website, find the academics who have similar interests to yours then get in contact. Ask if they have research grants to fund the PhD.

You might stand a better chance if you are here so you can go to interviews and chats. Academics here already receive a large number of emails from overseas students asking after places, and are visited by local students wanting to do a PhD, so you have to have something good to convince the academic to take a chance on you. Meeting them in person for a discussion over a cup of coffee definitely helps.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:22 am
Banned

so thats a no then
You keep smiling, you have achieved, you are moderating, keep moderating, i'm tired,................. nite my lovely..................

Keith.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:16 am
Just Joined

MickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tking
So a PhD from an Aussie Uni is low class and the equivalent of an ex-UK polytechnic? I don't think so.
Quite.

You'd be hard put to find a better supervisor than David Chalmers. If he represents the quality of Aussie academics, then why bother with the Ulan Bator Technical College?

http://consc.net/chalmers/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Chalmers
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:29 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Australian Universities are not really as researched based as just say US and the UK.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Well my girlfriend is Australian so i'm wanting to move to australia anyway. but i want to do a PhD in biomedical science, i'm going to have to apply for one as an overseas student to do one in Aus i think so i'm looking at applying for a scholarship (i cant afford to pay for it). anyone done this before? any advice on the subject?
ANU is not too bad for that - The John Curtin School of medical reseach - neuroscience is .

if you want research based degree then go to the UK. - thats the answer. Its so different here.

am thinking of doing a PhD after 40. Not now. (hopefully UK if I can manage it financially)

Last edited by crap coffee; Mar 20th 2011 at 9:22 am.