Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting people together..

Getting people together..

Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:36 pm
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough
Talking Getting people together..

As this forum is such a useful resource in networking and sharing of experiences and information, has there been a similar group formed in the real world?

ie, Are there a group of expats in OZ, that get together to help those new to the experience?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i asked this before i moved...it seems not..i would like to set up something like that for people coming to Adelaide but its hard knowing where to start
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about any formal groups, but there are plenty of informal ones - there have also been several meet-ups in different areas of the UK - we had 2 in Sussex before I left, they've had several in Essex and Hampshire as well. Also we've had one in Brisbane - another one coming up in a couple of months, and the same thing has certainly been done in Melbourne.
All just a group of people with a common goal, meeting for drinks, BBQ or whatever, and you suddenyl find that other people understand what you are trying to do, and why! Some of us, me included, have formed really good friendships - can't wait to meet up with some of the UK people again like Tinaj, Badger and Footie Chick, to name but 3. Then when you get here, some of us have Aussie partners which helps, cos they are more familiar with how things work, and can solve some of the mysteries of life for us!

Just try posting the rough area you are in, and see if anyone fancies meeting up - thats what we did for the first Brighton one, and ended up taking over most of the pub!
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
i asked this before i moved...it seems not..i would like to set up something like that for people coming to Adelaide but its hard knowing where to start

Looks like youre going to be getting a new job podgypossum................
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:45 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting people together..

Originally posted by wandrews
As this forum is such a useful resource in networking and sharing of experiences and information, has there been a similar group formed in the real world?

ie, Are there a group of expats in OZ, that get together to help those new to the experience?
Ivee seen topics on this site where poms have met up in for example brissy, at meets.
Having lots of aussie friends "meets" are big downunda.

Perhaps for Australian meets, why doesnt the site administrators here, set up a meets section, put posts up and someone in a designated area could indeed do the Organising !

Converesly in the Uk, why not have a Uk meet...

Good Point Wandrews
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

LOL..maybe..but it would have to be voluntary as i am not allowed ot work till i get my visa processed
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:46 pm
Where's the bbq?

I think the key is, just to get a few new ozzies around the BBQ just to say hello, and to ask if all is OK! Then hopefully it will take of from there.

Whilst some people may think that this type of group could become very singular, I think that people get out of things what they are willing to put in, and besides it doesn't have to be open just to people migrating, get the locals envolved.

Just an excuse to have a party..
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:51 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the key is, just to get a few new ozzies around the BBQ just to say hello, and to ask if all is OK! Then hopefully it will take of from there.

Whilst some people may think that this type of group could become very singular, I think that people get out of things what they are willing to put in, and besides it doesn't have to be open just to people migrating, get the locals envolved.

Just an excuse to have a party..
Right, party at your house then! Where are you hoping to go to in Oz?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes good idea...but ther eis already a Adelaide Brits site, which i am a member. Nice group of people, but i think there needs to be more to help those when they first arrive..ie...giving them info and guidance, helping with settling etc....just someone being at hte end of a phone to help if htey get homesick and stuff.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 1:17 pm
Where's the bbq?

Originally posted by bundy
Right, party at your house then! Where are you hoping to go to in Oz?
Party no problem..

With regards to where are we looking, good question as we have a couple of ideas so far.

Our main motivation for moving is to find a new home that has a bit of land, but is not completly rural.

We have seen some areas of southern queensland that looked to offer the home with the space, and near to all amenities.

We are also going to be investigating Perth.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Party no problem..

With regards to where are we looking, good question as we have a couple of ideas so far.

Our main motivation for moving is to find a new home that has a bit of land, but is not completly rural.

We have seen some areas of southern queensland that looked to offer the home with the space, and near to all amenities.

We are also going to be investigating Perth.

Good luck to you...its a long road but worth it
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:45 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default arrival

Yes good idea...but ther eis already a Adelaide Brits site, which i am a member. Nice group of people, but i think there needs to be more to help those when they first arrive..ie...giving them info and guidance, helping with settling etc....just someone being at hte end of a phone to help if htey get homesick and stuff.
i for one would love to meet up with you and yours for that coffee after arrival pp
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are most welcome Wengerboy.... i know i tend to come across as a bit outspoken on this forum, but i do really want to help people and would love to help those newly arrived.I'm still very new to Oz myself. I am not new to immigration, as most will know i was in NZ for 2yrs before coming here. It certainly isnt an easy transition for anyone, whether they like the place they have chosen or not. Its a huge stress and trauma to up sticks from everything you have known and place yourself in an environment where you know nothing.

I do think this affects women more than men in general, so a kind ear or helpful smile and shoulder to cry on could be very welcome.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:03 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

You are most welcome Wengerboy.... i know i tend to come across as a bit outspoken on this forum, but i do really want to help people and would love to help those newly arrived.I'm still very new to Oz myself. I am not new to immigration, as most will know i was in NZ for 2yrs before coming here. It certainly isnt an easy transition for anyone, whether they like the place they have chosen or not. Its a huge stress and trauma to up sticks from everything you have known and place yourself in an environment where you know nothing.

I do think this affects women more than men in general, so a kind ear or helpful smile and shoulder to cry on could be very welcome.

Your phone will never stop ringing!!!!!!!!!!!

sue
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:03 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: arrival

Originally posted by wengerboy
i for one would love to meet up with you and yours for that coffee after arrival pp

me to!!!

sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.