Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting Optus prepaid sim cards.

Getting Optus prepaid sim cards.

Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:33 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting Optus prepaid sim cards.

Our 2 year contract with Optus was recently up, & we upgraded to new phones.

Our buddies are emigrating from Scotland on the 21st of July, & will be staying with us till they get their own place. We were gonna give them our old mobiles to use on, "prepaid" as there's nothing wrong with them.

Thing is, I've never had a mobile on prepaid so don't really know the ins & outs of it all. Do we just take the old phones to an Optus shop & they'll give us new sim cards? Do we have to pay for the new cards?

Any info appreciated.

I was gonna just phone Optus about this, but I've phoned them before & got the, "To speak to someone who is very nice, but hasn't a clue what you're talking about..... Please press 1" followed by endless Celine Dion & Simply Red music!!:scared::scared:

Don't fancy doing that again!

Cheers... John...
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting Optus prepaid sim cards.

Originally Posted by Scossie
Our 2 year contract with Optus was recently up, & we upgraded to new phones.

Our buddies are emigrating from Scotland on the 21st of July, & will be staying with us till they get their own place. We were gonna give them our old mobiles to use on, "prepaid" as there's nothing wrong with them.

Thing is, I've never had a mobile on prepaid so don't really know the ins & outs of it all. Do we just take the old phones to an Optus shop & they'll give us new sim cards? Do we have to pay for the new cards?

Any info appreciated.

I was gonna just phone Optus about this, but I've phoned them before & got the, "To speak to someone who is very nice, but hasn't a clue what you're talking about..... Please press 1" followed by endless Celine Dion & Simply Red music!!:scared::scared:

Don't fancy doing that again!

Cheers... John...

We got the Vodafone prepaid. Buy a sim card anywhere for 31 bucks and have 30 bucks worth of calls instantly. Cheap, provided the handset is not locked. If locked, there is a bloke in CBD who will unlock it for a few bucks.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:31 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Question Re: Getting Optus prepaid sim cards.

Originally Posted by Muzza04
We got the Vodafone prepaid. Buy a sim card anywhere for 31 bucks and have 30 bucks worth of calls instantly. Cheap, provided the handset is not locked. If locked, there is a bloke in CBD who will unlock it for a few bucks.
Hello Muzza04,
Thanks for the information..
But what do you mean by Locked
Make me understand please
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:08 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Optus prepaid sim cards.

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Cheers Muzza.
I ended up having to go to Carousel yesterday, (after reading your reply).
I nipped into the Optus Shop & they confirmed what you said about the $30 sim card...

Thanks mate..