Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a mobile phone

Getting a mobile phone

Old May 31st 2013, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a mobile phone

I don't want to hijack the OP but what I want to know fits in here I think, so hope I am not doing anything the moderators or OP will frown upon!

I am arriving in Melbourne at the end of next week for a 2 week visit (with the view to making a move properly in October) and I was wondering if I can just readily buy a pre-paid sim card for my iPhone5 without having to jump through hoops to do so. Can anyone advise how I would go about it?
Old May 31st 2013, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Scratch my question above, I ordered one online in the USA and it is being shipped to me before my trip next week.
Old May 31st 2013, 11:50 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think a US SIM card will be very useful in Australia. Incoming calls will cost a fortune, whereas with a local one they won't cost a thing.

If your phone is unlocked then you can pick up a local SIM card at tons of places here (department/electronic stores, supermarkets, newsagents, etc). Just bring along ID (passport...).
Old May 31st 2013, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by astera
I don't think a US SIM card will be very useful in Australia. Incoming calls will cost a fortune, whereas with a local one they won't cost a thing.

If your phone is unlocked then you can pick up a local SIM card at tons of places here (department/electronic stores, supermarkets, newsagents, etc). Just bring along ID (passport...).
Sorry, should have been more explicit, I purchased an Australian sim card through one of the links on this thread that is nano for the iPhone 5 and gives me unlimited domestic (Australia) and USA calls and 3gb data for 30 days. That will do me fine for the visit then when we move we'll look at other options as well.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:56 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Is the iPhone 5S freely available at Apple stores or are they out of stock at present?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

ive paid my i phone out and couldnt wait to get away from telstra the coverage where i worked was crap. i took my phone to optus byo... yes bring your own and they can fix you up with a package to suite you .you can nominate 1 gig of data then move your usage up or down .im down to $40 bucks a month!from a $100 with telstra.... due diligence.. research research research
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FixedFlush
Hey all,

Coming back home to Oz shortly. As I recall, there is a rigmarole to get even a prepay mobile. Is this still true.

I will be needing a mobile almost straight away, even if still in a hotel. But is there all these ID and proof of residence requirements still?
If your coming to Brisvegas try fone junky at the gabba. he will unlock the phone you have and fix you up ect.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

You can even buy one once you leave the customs hall at the airport. In addition USA SIMS will need to be activated in the US to work as they often send SMS messages as part of the activation procedure.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 2:31 pm

The market has been a bit shaky recently with Red Bull Mobile and Kogan both dropping out of the game.

Seems like Telstra still rocks though when it comes to coverage. Optus is good though for short stays as you can pay $2/day for an "all-inclusive" deal which also provides 500MB data daily (which you can tether).

Any good, new deals that have popped up in recent months?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 9:50 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Aldi use the Telstra network but they are scaling back their data I think
Old Dec 24th 2013, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

The market has been a bit shaky recently with Red Bull Mobile and Kogan both dropping out of the game.

Seems like Telstra still rocks though when it comes to coverage. Optus is good though for short stays as you can pay $2/day for an "all-inclusive" deal which also provides 500MB data daily (which you can tether).

Any good, new deals that have popped up in recent months?
Keep an eye on this http://prepaidplans.com.au/