Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting in to mining

Getting in to mining

Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Getting in to mining

Wondered if anyone can offer some advice...

I'm a mechancial fitter and have been over here since March as a PR. We were originally headed up to Brisbane but got sidetracked with a job offer in Melbourne, which is where we still are.

Anyway, when we where talking about Brisbane, Townsville etc I was looking at entry level mining. I don't have any 'mining' experience though I have plenty of confined spaces experience and over 20 years heavy engineering experience.

Don't get me wrong Melbourne's great but I didn't come all the way out here to do the same thing day as I did back in the UK.

So my question is - would I be better relocating and then looking for work? I'm lucky enough that my OH hasn't any issues relocating. We were thinking Townville but I just wondered if anyone has been through a similar thing or has any thing to offer.... open to ideas!!!!

Is it worth paying one of these minong recruitment agencies to locate you work??

Also, is it worth doing the mining course or do companies prefer that you do theirs... ?

mitch
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:46 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting in to mining

Not that many mines in Brisbane.
You would have to move to the middle of knowhere, wolf creek country
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by themerlin
Not that many mines in Brisbane.
You would have to move to the middle of knowhere, wolf creek country
Your all right mate... I know that there are no mines in Brissy... we have mates there so that was going to be a starting point for recruitment... just don't know if it's worth taking the gable to move up to Townsville or Mackay... don't mind being in the middle of nowhere... stop OH from spending all her time at bloody Spotlight!!

Seriously though I am up for anything... it's just getting my foot in the door that's the problem....

posted on the off chance that someone else had managed to secure something...

cheers anyway
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

I would think that you would be far better off registering with Recruitment companies first off, but I suggest concentrating on Western Australia.

So much is about to take off over here that the previous Boom is going to look like a picnic.

Have a good look around this site: http://wa.gov.au/

See if you can get hold of a Saturday edition of "The West Australian" newspaper. It should be available in Melbourne. There is generally a mining section in the Jobs part of the classifieds. That will have recruiting companies and other info to get you started.

The Gorgon gas project is going to be huge.

Good Luck