Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting English Food...Help !!!.

Getting English Food...Help !!!.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting English Food...Help !!!.

Does anyone know a good online shop here in Australia that sells English food and suchlike ?

I know of some really good ones that do that in America and some in Australia that sell American food - but I am looking for a place in Australia that does English food - do not really want to pay the exorbitant price of shipping food all the way from England ( and with all the problems that the weather can do to food ).

Any help would be appreciated.

Just found a place that sells Fry's Peppermint cream here - after they stopped selling them in the shops ( Don't know why!! ) and ordered a case - lol !!

But still looking for a lot more !!

~Sean
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:04 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Getting English Food...Help !!!.

I seem to know someone heading back to England every couple of months or so, so get my order in with them (you know, Marmite, Quavers, Jaffa Cakes, Twiglets, Jacobs Crackers, etc).

My last consignment arrived back last Wednesday, my next in the middle of January! Then I've got a visit in April.

Too easy!

Don't know of any shops specifically, though I've seen some items in Coles/Woolies/Safeway, or even the gourmet food section of David Jones. There was a shop on Oxford St in Bondi Junction I seem to remember.

Originally posted by SeanH
Does anyone know a good online shop here in Australia that sells English food and suchlike ?

I know of some really good ones that do that in America and some in Australia that sell American food - but I am looking for a place in Australia that does English food - do not really want to pay the exorbitant price of shipping food all the way from England ( and with all the problems that the weather can do to food ).

Just found a place that sells Fry's Peppermint cream here - after they stopped selling them in the shops ( Don't know why!! ) and ordered a case - lol !!

~Sean
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:08 am
dex
Forum Regular

dex is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean boiled beef and carrots?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dex
You mean boiled beef and carrots?
?Boiled beef?? how about corned beef....
Wotsits....
Aunt Bessies ready-made yorkshire puddings...
Marmite (not our mate or whatever it's called)....
Skips....
Penguins....
real-ale...

...Oh - and a good ol chicken korma
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try http://www.expatshopping.com/ its UK based which is not what you asked but its a big operation so would imagine prices - shipping would be OK, anyone selling from Australia is going to pass on shipping costs anyway so may be just as cheap to buy direct.

There is an Australian shop that does online stuff but I cant find where I put the link.

Last edited by karawara88; Nov 4th 2003 at 7:56 am.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:02 am
tennisoz

~Sean
If ever you are in Williamstown, Melbourne, go to the 'Lolly Shop' in Douglas Parade and you can get stacks of different sweets, biscuits etc from the UK. For example, we have given up taking things from Scotland for relies and friends when we visit - we can get shortbread, Tunnocks products, Baxters products etc, etc there. I don't know if they do mail order but try a Google search. I can't remember its exact name - I just call it the 'Lolly Shop'.

TennisOz

P.S. they also sell decent stuff like Cherry Ripes, Cheezels, Twisties, Life Savers, Kool Mints, Minties, Milk Shakes, Arnott's biscuits, Vegemite ...........

Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Why do people keep hankering back to british food etc. Surely the stuff over there is not that bad.

The last thing I would be bothered about is missing certain products (in for a penny etc)

Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

TRY: www.hungryexpats.com

Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:08 pm
plumber39

I agree with Billabong-Go get a life!

Last edited by plumber39; Nov 4th 2003 at 7:10 pm.

Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:14 pm
plumber39

Sorry,
Maybe it's waiting for the visa that's getting too me!

Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:45 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know of any online suppliers, but if you are really hankering after English food there are numerous shops in a smallish island just off Europe that might be able to help.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Now where can I get Jaffa Cakes from?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:14 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pollyana

Now where can I get Jaffa Cakes from?
You've just got here! You can't be having withdrawal symptoms already?!

Give it a year - you'll be over them.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:48 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

To be fair the Aussies that I work with have all said "why don't we get lollies/chips/biscuits/etc this good in Australia". So even the Aussies think we have some excellent foods.

Some things you just can't replace (marmite).

Originally posted by Billabong
Why do people keep hankering back to british food etc. Surely the stuff over there is not that bad.

The last thing I would be bothered about is missing certain products (in for a penny etc)

Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

there's a backpacker job agency place on Sussex Street (about no 240 near the junction with Kent)

They have lots of goodies in there that aren't elsewhere available.

There's a bloke who imports loads of stuff and flogs it at N Sydney market on weekends.

Every now and then I get something odd for a burst of nostalgia, but generally don't feel the need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.