Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting Doctors notes to take to Oz!

Wikiposts

Getting Doctors notes to take to Oz!

Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:50 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting Doctors notes to take to Oz!

Just wondered how everyone else has done on getting their doctors records to take to Oz, rang our doctors yesterday and the stroppy cow on reception said that we couldn't have the records because they belong to the NHS and that we could pay to get print outs for each of our medical records!!

My husband thinks this is wrong as the information they are holding is OUR personal information and not the bloody NHS!!

Just wondered how others got round this??
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:00 pm
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Getting Doctors notes to take to Oz!

As far as I know the information in your medical records is YOURS and your doctor cannot refuse you a COPY. They can however charge you for making a copy if they choose to.

CMR
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:01 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CMR
As far as I know the information in your medical records is YOURS and your doctor cannot refuse you a COPY. They can however charge you for making a copy if they choose to.

CMR
This is what they are saying to us, but we want the originals!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't have the actual records and they'd be fairly useless anyway. You can have a general printout but it's really only worthwhile if you have a particular ongoing problem.

You don't necessarily sign up to one doctor here - you can go to as many as you like. They like to get their own information. I have a very minor problem but the doctor here was very happy with the information I gave her.

If you really want a copy, make an appointment with your doctor and mention what you want then. They might be happy to just print it off there and then, otherwise they will ask admin and you may or may not have to pay.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:06 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
you cant have the originals. you can have a copy for 10 quid max charge.

the doctors in auz wont ask or look at tham. You dont have a regular doctor like in UK , you are free to go to any surgery. A short 'history' questionaire and you're in.

you dont need them unless youve got some complicated personal history that you feel they may need. but to be honest id be surprised if the doctor was bothered to read them here - they just ask you the history.
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough

I don't know if you'll get the originals as it's the information that is technically your's, not the records themselves.

You might try registering with another GP that doesn't charge for copies; then they'll contact your current doctor to get your records first. Good luck finding one that doesn't charge though...
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
. They might be happy to just print it off there and then, otherwise they will ask admin and you may or may not have to pay.
d'oh you typed quicker than me
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:08 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Someone said something about needing proof the kids have had all their immunisations?? That would be on the print out of our records, so do I need that??
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Someone said something about needing proof the kids have had all their immunisations?? That would be on the print out of our records, so do I need that??
I have just used the kids 'red books'. My GP here went through the book and registered all their previous immunisation history with medicare on line, so that I did not get letter after letter telling me they are overdue.

We did not bother to bring our medical records over just gave the doc the information by word of mouth.

I would agree unless you have something ongoing and complicated there really is no reason.

Regards
Abby
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:22 pm
CMR
Forum Regular

I don't know about needing the information, but I think it would be useful to have immunisation records for kids. We have a little girl (just coming up to 2 years old) so If our doctor wants to charge us for copies of our records, I'll probably only get hers - me and the missus can probably get by without them.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered how everyone else has done on getting their doctors records to take to Oz, rang our doctors yesterday and the stroppy cow on reception said that we couldn't have the records because they belong to the NHS and that we could pay to get print outs for each of our medical records!!

My husband thinks this is wrong as the information they are holding is OUR personal information and not the bloody NHS!!

Just wondered how others got round this??

The receptionist is correct.

You are unlikely to need copies. If you dont want to pay for copies, ask them if you can sit in a room/at the reception and make notes....tho I suspect that there would still be a charge for the access to the notes.

A previous poster suggested that "you do not have a regular dr in oz". This is incorrect. You do not "have" to have a regular dr in oz, and depending on where you will live, you may find that some drs only see pts registered with their practice and no-one else at all.

(It may be possible - certainly in the capital cities - to go to a different dr everyday of the week should you wish. It is not where I come from - there is a desperate shortage of drs.)
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

It also depends how old your kids are. I never brought any immunisations records and have never been asked for them. My kids are 11, 15 and 16. Our doc in the UK just did a print off from the computer showing all the visits with a brief description. But never been asked for them. As a previous posted said unless you have a specific problem and younger kids I wouldn't bother.

Jo
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:59 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joho
It also depends how old your kids are. I never brought any immunisations records and have never been asked for them. My kids are 11, 15 and 16. Our doc in the UK just did a print off from the computer showing all the visits with a brief description. But never been asked for them. As a previous posted said unless you have a specific problem and younger kids I wouldn't bother.

Jo

you will deff need immunisation records for your children if you wish to put them into kindy/nursery and on admission into school. my red book was sufficient and you then take your red book along with your kids to the local dr to get there immunisations verified!

As i said this only necessery for kindy/ PREP, if they are older dont bother

pm me if you need any further help

mand
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz
you will deff need immunisation records for your children if you wish to put them into kindy/nursery and on admission into school. my red book was sufficient and you then take your red book along with your kids to the local dr to get there immunisations verified!

As i said this only necessery for kindy/ PREP, if they are older dont bother

pm me if you need any further help

mand

Or if you haven't had them immunised - it's not compulsary - then there is a special "conscientious objector" form to complete.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the UK, but in Canada the records belong to the doctor. You are entitled to a copy and the doctor can charge you a reasonable fee to photocopy them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.