Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting car finance on arrival in Brisbane

Getting car finance on arrival in Brisbane

Old Jul 12th 2005, 9:50 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting car finance on arrival in Brisbane

Hi

As we will be migrating with fairly limited savings to Brisbane on the 31st October I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how quickly we would be able to obtain finance on 2 second hand cars (assuming that one of us has a job set up).

It concerns me that our savings could deplete very quickly if we had to drive a hire car for a few weeks - my number one priority would be getting a car and a rental house sorted out on arrival (we are in a short term apartment for the 1st 3 weeks).

When you are moving with 10-15k (GBP) of savings I don't really want to spend all that outright on cars - we want to keep as much of our savings as possible for initial costs such as rent bond, and usual setup costs. It will also be a bit of a safety net. It also frightens me that we will have to start saving a decent house deposit if we want to afford our ideal house 6 months to 1 year down the line. We are both in decent jobs - I'm a nurse and hubbie a design engineer - but by the time we paid of our debts from being students the profits from the sale of our house were soon reducing rapidly!!!

I guess I'm just needing reassurance from others that were in a similar position at one time - 10k is a lot of money but could disappear so fast if we weren't careful.

I would be so grateful to hear about others experiences and also about my original question on car finance.

Lynn
Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:48 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Getting car finance on arrival in Brisbane

no idea, but i bought a car for $2,400 (£830 at the time) when i first moved to oz. that car lasted me 3 years before i traded against a new car. i spent around $280 (£120) in maintenance in the whole time i had the car.

cars last longer over here. my car was a 1987 hyundai excel (was 14 years old when i bought it). i never had a car older than 5 years when i was in the uk. i loved my old car!

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi

As we will be migrating with fairly limited savings to Brisbane on the 31st October I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how quickly we would be able to obtain finance on 2 second hand cars (assuming that one of us has a job set up).

It concerns me that our savings could deplete very quickly if we had to drive a hire car for a few weeks - my number one priority would be getting a car and a rental house sorted out on arrival (we are in a short term apartment for the 1st 3 weeks).

When you are moving with 10-15k (GBP) of savings I don't really want to spend all that outright on cars - we want to keep as much of our savings as possible for initial costs such as rent bond, and usual setup costs. It will also be a bit of a safety net. It also frightens me that we will have to start saving a decent house deposit if we want to afford our ideal house 6 months to 1 year down the line. We are both in decent jobs - I'm a nurse and hubbie a design engineer - but by the time we paid of our debts from being students the profits from the sale of our house were soon reducing rapidly!!!

I guess I'm just needing reassurance from others that were in a similar position at one time - 10k is a lot of money but could disappear so fast if we weren't careful.

I would be so grateful to hear about others experiences and also about my original question on car finance.

Lynn
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Hi Lynn,

We bought an older car outright when we arrived and it has lasted us fine but we are in the process of getting a new car at the moment, although we have just been told by the garage we are getting the car from that we will need to pay a lot more interest than normal because we have no credit history in Australia, even though we have bank accounts and a credit card! we are shopping around at the mo with banks and finance companies to see who can give us a better deal, so just be careful of this.

Lisa

Hi

Lynn
Old Jul 13th 2005, 2:18 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

We didn't have too much trouble, if you have PR and a perm job you should be ok.... Try Fordcredit or GE Auto when you get here...

Some said no, these 2 said yes to us...

Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Hi Lynn,

We bought an older car outright when we arrived and it has lasted us fine but we are in the process of getting a new car at the moment, although we have just been told by the garage we are getting the car from that we will need to pay a lot more interest than normal because we have no credit history in Australia, even though we have bank accounts and a credit card! we are shopping around at the mo with banks and finance companies to see who can give us a better deal, so just be careful of this.

Lisa
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:42 am

Thanks for all your replies! Karma on its way

Still want to go down the road of getting finance as we want a car of maybe 2-3 years old.....thanks for the suggestion of finance companies to try. I'm a bit worried as it could be a month before we have an Oz credit card or bills with our new address on them - surely people don't rent a car for a month!!? I guess everyone must be moving out with more money so they can buy a car outright? Even if we bought a car for 1000 pounds, its 1000 pounds that I don't want to fork out initially.

Lynn
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:48 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

when we bought ours it was 2 weeks after arrival but we did put down 90% cash and only financed a bit to get a credit history.

Its same as uk - you need to get some points in the scoring
- rented accomodation is one thing ( you aint gonna get credit in a hotel room)
- having your aussie driving licence seems to help get points (because it has ID and address reqts in itself)
- the % of the car you want to finance is important because they look at it that if you dont pay and they reposess what chance do they have of reclaiming the debt , if you borrow 95% of the car value they've got no chance.

You might find that you have to buy a run around for a 1k pounds that you then sell on or part-ex later. Have you thought about borrowin the money before you leave the UK ? If youve got good credit history in UK you should be able to get a loan from a UK bank at 9% persnal loan or Cahoot.com or egg.com at even better rates - the Aussie finance rates are startinga t 10% but with no history you are likeyl looking at 14%+ and some hokey car places will be after 28% ( I remember south-coast finance ins outhampton on my first kiddy sports car 28% APR jeez..). That might work out better for you to help you settle until you establish yourselves and your money.

sorry for awful typing - bad keyboard
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be getting a car on finance as soon as I arrive luckily for me our friend who we know in Melbourne does car finance and used to be a car dealer so that's the one and probably only thing we don't need to stress about
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by spalen
when we bought ours it was 2 weeks after arrival but we did put down 90% cash and only financed a bit to get a credit history.

Its same as uk - you need to get some points in the scoring
- rented accomodation is one thing ( you aint gonna get credit in a hotel room)
- having your aussie driving licence seems to help get points (because it has ID and address reqts in itself)
- the % of the car you want to finance is important because they look at it that if you dont pay and they reposess what chance do they have of reclaiming the debt , if you borrow 95% of the car value they've got no chance.

You might find that you have to buy a run around for a 1k pounds that you then sell on or part-ex later. Have you thought about borrowin the money before you leave the UK ? If youve got good credit history in UK you should be able to get a loan from a UK bank at 9% persnal loan or Cahoot.com or egg.com at even better rates - the Aussie finance rates are startinga t 10% but with no history you are likeyl looking at 14%+ and some hokey car places will be after 28% ( I remember south-coast finance ins outhampton on my first kiddy sports car 28% APR jeez..). That might work out better for you to help you settle until you establish yourselves and your money.

sorry for awful typing - bad keyboard
Thanks for the excellent advice - we have just paid off a cahoot loan, infact the flexible loan account is still open - I thought it would be difficult to make payments though from Australia? Do you have any idea how we would go about that?

Thanks again,

Lynn
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:39 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Hi Lynn!

My girlfriend and I will be in exactly the same situation! We're moving over with around £10-15k! I'm hoping to make do with 1 car to start with which we will buy outright! I've been looking at Toyota Corolla's, as they're very reliable, and seem to be one of the cheapest cars in their class in Australia!!?? I've been using www.carsales.com.au to give me an idea on prices, and I've found we can get a nice 3 year old Corolla for around £6000! Our plan then, is to look at getting another car on finance once my girlfriend has found a job! (my job is already arranged! ). I'll have to use my car for travelling around with my job, so it needs to be a good one, and that's the one we'll buy on finance at a later date!

I'm hoping to get my visa finalised by the end of this month, although I'm not sure how likely that is?? Anyway, my point is that I should go through this before you do, so you can always contact me through this site to get some up to date info!!

Interesting idea with placing 5% of the car on finance to build a credit history!!?? ...might be a good odea that??

I was told by one of the staff at an Australian bank, that having a credit history in Australia is bad news?? ...as in, if they've got no record of you, you've done nothing wrong??? She said it's opposite to the uk?? ....might have been feeding me some trash though??

Hope this is of some help to you!!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:49 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

No Credit History = nobody brave enough to lend you money.

lots of regular payments on credit cards = good risk

if i were you' id keep that cahoot flexi-loan open - you never know when it will come in useful, ive had one ever since they opened

I use www.tranzsfers.com to receive/send money to / from the UK every month they charge 7 pounds per transaction, have good rates, and they are ultra reliable and all done on line. Plus if I refer you , I only need 7 more people to get me an ipod ( ;-) ) - seriously theey're great Ive used them about 20 times so far. Register before you leave the UK with yoru uk details - its much easier.

if you want to add to my ipod fund use this link
http://www.tranzfers.com/refer.asp?r=ijcollins

If you dont want to help my ipod fund :-( use this link ( go on its free!!!)
www.tranzfers.com
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by GrantP
Hi Lynn!

My girlfriend and I will be in exactly the same situation! We're moving over with around £10-15k! I'm hoping to make do with 1 car to start with which we will buy outright! I've been looking at Toyota Corolla's, as they're very reliable, and seem to be one of the cheapest cars in their class in Australia!!?? I've been using www.carsales.com.au to give me an idea on prices, and I've found we can get a nice 3 year old Corolla for around £6000! Our plan then, is to look at getting another car on finance once my girlfriend has found a job! (my job is already arranged! ). I'll have to use my car for travelling around with my job, so it needs to be a good one, and that's the one we'll buy on finance at a later date!

I'm hoping to get my visa finalised by the end of this month, although I'm not sure how likely that is?? Anyway, my point is that I should go through this before you do, so you can always contact me through this site to get some up to date info!!

Interesting idea with placing 5% of the car on finance to build a credit history!!?? ...might be a good odea that??

I was told by one of the staff at an Australian bank, that having a credit history in Australia is bad news?? ...as in, if they've got no record of you, you've done nothing wrong??? She said it's opposite to the uk?? ....might have been feeding me some trash though??

Hope this is of some help to you!!
Hi Grant - lovely to speak to someone in the same position - I was starting to feel like the only one moving over with more modest savings!!!!!

I like the Toyota Corolla's too but don't want to pay 6000 pounds outright - just scared we run out of money if we are still looking for jobs on arrival (or one of us)

The idea of keeping cahoot flexible loan account open is tempting especially as they are online anyway and I could use Tranzfers to make my monthly payment - even with the $15 transfer fee I would still probably be better off than going for a high interest finance option with Australian companies.

Spalen - hows does it work with cahoot if they want you to have a direct debit set up? ie. my UK bank accounts would be closed and I would be making the monthly payment for the car through a company like Tranzfers?

I take it that when I have my Oz HSBC online bank account that I would TF money to Tranzfers then they would TF to Cahoot using the loan sort code and account code - is this right? Do you think this is feasible?

Thanks again to both of you for such useful information,

Lynn
Old Jul 13th 2005, 6:03 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

I wonder if Cahoot will be happy with that situation though? ...might be something I should be looking at if it's ok!!??

Can you share any information you find on this please Lynn??
Old Jul 13th 2005, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by GrantP
I wonder if Cahoot will be happy with that situation though? ...might be something I should be looking at if it's ok!!??

Can you share any information you find on this please Lynn??
Yeah I thought that too Grant - I wouldn't of thought they would be happy for customers to be living out of the UK and I thought they took direct debit off every month!? - I don't want to leave UK bank accounts open particularly as I see my move as permanent

Maybe Spalen could shed some light - if not I will phone cahoot to enquire!

I am also wondering how I know if Tranzfers is a secure, honest company - no way of checking their credentials out

I am always a suspicious person!

Lynn
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:26 pm
Merlot

Hi

Lynn
Just wanted to wish you all the best, we will be in the same boat next year with the only advantage of having lived in Oz before but if it is anything like the UK we will have to start from scratch . . just think how liberating that is!!!

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Merlot
Just wanted to wish you all the best, we will be in the same boat next year with the only advantage of having lived in Oz before but if it is anything like the UK we will have to start from scratch . . just think how liberating that is!!!

Best of luck
Merlot
Awwww thank you for your kind wishes!!!!! Yes it will be scary and liberating at the same time starting from scratch - karma sent,

Lynn xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.