Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting car credit on a 457 Visa

Getting car credit on a 457 Visa

Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:35 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting car credit on a 457 Visa

Originally Posted by augigi
You don't need to watch out when talking to them.. you need to be careful when signing documents.

Did you sign anything?
Yes, but he hid the small print fro me which was on the back and also said that they even return the deposit if it doesn't work out. Lesson learned.

I'm just happy that I escaped three and a half years worth of 17% interest on a 140,000 kms car Lucky escape really
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

So can you actually get reasonable finance on a car when you are on a 457?

What is a reasonable rate which we should be aiming for? We need to buy my wife a car when we arrive and was going to do 50% down and 50% finance to try to get our credit rating started.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:12 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Getting car credit on a 457 Visa

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Yes, but he hid the small print fro me which was on the back and also said that they even return the deposit if it doesn't work out. Lesson learned.

I'm just happy that I escaped three and a half years worth of 17% interest on a 140,000 kms car Lucky escape really
Yes Melbourne City Ford had a car on a 120,000 Kms and the advertized price was $14K (on invoice/contract of sale of vehicle)+rego.Then they add warrantty+GST+loan establishment fees which makes the vehicle $16K and for final payout the buyer need to pay $22K for used vehicle.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

Originally Posted by ianhutch1

What is a reasonable rate which we should be aiming for? We need to buy my wife a car when we arrive and was going to do 50% down and 50% finance to try to get our credit rating started.
I haven't looked for a long time, but I'd say about 9 - 9.5%

Oliver, that's terrible. Name and shame the car yard please, that's the first time I've heard of them actually trying to enforce that small print. It must be a very, VERY shonky car yard.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I haven't looked for a long time, but I'd say about 9 - 9.5%

Oliver, that's terrible. Name and shame the car yard please, that's the first time I've heard of them actually trying to enforce that small print. It must be a very, VERY shonky car yard.
They're actually Brisbane's biggest non-franchise car yard, apparently. I'm sure I'll find a way out of this !
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Clear lesson there: don't sign things you haven't read.

Tell them you will be instructing your solicitor if they don't return your deposit immediately and see if they buckle. I suspect if it's in the contract though, you might be SOL.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by augigi
Clear lesson there: don't sign things you haven't read.

Tell them you will be instructing your solicitor if they don't return your deposit immediately and see if they buckle. I suspect if it's in the contract though, you might be SOL.
I can live without the deposit...it's the $1333 they're demanding that's the problem
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:30 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Getting car credit on a 457 Visa

I can live without the deposit...it's the $1333 they're demanding that's the problem
They are greedy. Melbourne City Ford had a car on a 120,000 Kms and the advertized price was $14K (on invoice/contract of sale of vehicle)+rego.Then they add warrantty+GST+loan establishment fees which makes the vehicle $16K and for final payout the buyer need to pay $22K for used vehicle.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough

we were in Gold Coast on 457 last year and almost all the car loan agents were more than happy to give us car-loan as long as the loan term finishes before our Visa Expiry date

Originally Posted by judithross150
Hi,
Just moved to Sydney on a 457 visa and need to get a car for my job as a medical sales rep. Could get a novated lease through my company, but wondering if it'd be better for tax reasons to take the car allowance. Someone has told me it's very difficult to get credit/loans on a 457 visa - does anyone have experience of this? does having no credit history count for or against you here?
Thanks Jude
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the best defence is a good offence.

You can always tell them to sue you. They probably won't want to hire a solicitor for a thousand bucks.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

thlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ianhutch1

Of course you can. The rates are standard, you shouldn't have to be ripped off by car dealerships because of your visa. The car loan rates have come down a lot recently because of the downturn in car sales.

Our lenders have rates of around 10% but it could be higher or lower according to the amount borrowed and the age of the vehicle.

I hope that helps. Any questions drop me a line.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by thlo
Of course you can. The rates are standard, you shouldn't have to be ripped off by car dealerships because of your visa. The car loan rates have come down a lot recently because of the downturn in car sales.

Our lenders have rates of around 10% but it could be higher or lower according to the amount borrowed and the age of the vehicle.

I hope that helps. Any questions drop me a line.
I got my car loan about 15 months ago and i think the rate is something like 13.5% (i'd need to check).

The term only runs until the visa is finished.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:25 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have had two finance leases with separate providers on a 457. On first arrival, my employer only allowed me to pick between two finance companies. One of those was my own bank which refused as I had "just arrived and might leave the country". The other was BMW Finance who, despite having no financial relationship with me, were happy to oblige.

I have since also used Leaseplan who I don;t think asked about my residence status.

Most finance leases should be at interest rates of around 10% at the moment.

If your employer does not restrict you to certain providers then you should find it easy to get someone to provide the lease in my opinion.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Nissan will let you have car finance on a 457 visa.
Well at least the one in Perth does, this is for new cars.

I would check out Nissan dealer in your area. Finance will be for length of your 457 eg if its for 3 years that how long you have to pay off the car. Also want a deposit.

Gems
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

thlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Loan on a Section 457 Visa, temporary resident

I would recommend having your car loan pre approved by a finance broker before you start shopping for the car. After all you may want to buy from any dealer (not a specific factory dealer) or even privately.

This also removes the pressure packaging aspect at the car dealership, where loading the interest rate up to 20% is quite common when your consumer defences are down having just found a car you liked. We often assist car buyers this way and it removes the uncertainty of not knowing what you can afford.