Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a bit nervous.

Wikiposts

Getting a bit nervous.

Old May 3rd 2006, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a bit nervous.

With the house sale still going through and our buyers all agreed to comlpete by the 19th May.Shippers booked etc,spoke to our solicitor today and it is going to be really tight to complete on the 19th.Our buyers have not even got their mortgage offer through yet and I am getting increasingly concerned as we have yet to confirm flights.I spoke to our travel agent today who advised that they canonly hold seats for so long.
Trouble is until we sign I am very nervous to book anything.
Also hubby cannot give in his notice a work until we know for sure.
We still have short term accommodation to book and 3 night stopover to organise and a host of other stuff.All within a few weeks.
Is there anyone else out there in the same situation On the plus side we do have a good solicitor who seems to be on the ball but it is so frustrating as it is all down to the other side to get their act together.
Think I must be going mad. :scared: Will it all come together at the last minute or will we be left high and dry.
:scared:
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a bit nervous.

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
With the house sale still going through and our buyers all agreed to comlpete by the 19th May.Shippers booked etc,spoke to our solicitor today and it is going to be really tight to complete on the 19th.Our buyers have not even got their mortgage offer through yet and I am getting increasingly concerned as we have yet to confirm flights.I spoke to our travel agent today who advised that they canonly hold seats for so long.
We still have short term accommodation to book and 3 night stopover to organise and a host of other stuff.All within a few weeks.
Is there anyone else out there in the same situation On the plus side we do have a good solicitor who seems to be on the ball but it is so frustrating as it is all down to the other side to get their act together.
Think I must be going mad. :scared: Will it all come together at the last minute or will we be left high and dry.
Does sound like a bit of a 'mare - given what you said about your buyers mortgage I really don't blame you for holding off on the flights and quitting the job. With people like eBookers and Travelbag you can probably get far better flight deals than your local travel agent offers anyway - let alone trying the airlines themselves, so don't let that bother you. Anyway - hang tough, be strong, and good luck for completion.
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

I would be tempted to cancel the flights until you know for sure. It would be one less thing to stress about. you could always try getting last minute flights or stay with rellies :scared: while you organise flights etc, just a thought! It does sound like your cutting it fine, though. A month down the line you'll wonder what all the fuss was about
Good luck with it all, Nicky
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:08 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

our buyers have their mortgage sorted, its in the hands of the solicitors, etc, and we are looking at end of may, so i think the 19th may is cutting it bit fine.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, i think you need to be looking at 19th june rather than may.

i may be wrong though. fingers crossed and all that, i hope it works out. just dont book anything, leave it all up in the air. once its reached exchaging contracts, then you may chance booking things. good luck.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your support guys.It is cutting it fine isn't it?.
Our solicitor has said that if their solicitor is any good then it can be acheived,but we shall see.
If we cannot complete for the 19th then they will have to work around us a s we need to re book flights etc.Do not really want to go at the bank holiday weekend though if we can help it.
Oh well it will sort its self out but it is a pain in the arse at the moment not knowing what to do.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Hope it all works out for you in the long run...Good luck with your new life.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just had a call this morning and our buyers offer of mortgage has come through so looking more positive its still tight but they reckon it can all be sorted and hopefully exchanging next week.Feel a bit better now
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:28 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ding dong...We are in exactly the same situation. We had an offer made and accepted on our house about 7-8 weeks ago and we were told at the time by our estate agents that our buyers had their mortgage offer in place. The Chelsea appointed surveyor and valuation chaps came and went after a few weeks.

We then started chasing up progress last week and we were then told that our buyers hadn't agreed their mortgage with the Chelsea and that they are now going through Abbey. The Abbey valuation chap came this morning BUT what worries us is that our estate agent is doing nothing to reassure us or keep us informed and so we don't know why our buyers changed lenders and this really concerns us.

We are subject to all of the same restrictions as you and it is really frustrating. I cannot resign, we cannot book flights or accomodation and also we are keen to exchange funds whilst the dollar is still relatively weak. We are holding off until we pass the exchange date because doing anything else would just be tempting fate to shit on us from a great height. We have also missed out on a few excellent business class deals as we cannot book our flights until we exchange.

We are being told that our completion date is still expected to be on or around the 23rd May BUT what I won't let happen is for the estate agents to put us in a situation where we have a few days to sort everything out (including shipping).

Sit tight is the only advice that I give myself and anyone else. If you take the risk of "sorting stuff out" before you exchange on your house sale, what seems likea bad situation now will seem like a mild headache in comparison to what might happen.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of

We had a weird situation too, because the buyers wanted to move in 3 months before we were due to leave! We actually moved into the house DIRECTLY opposite our old house, as a friend who owned the house was not using it for the time being, and we got to witness the very strange goings on in our old house! For example, I woke up early one morning as I was going to a music festival. From the moment I walked out the front door (4am) I noticed the new owner was watching me through the front bedroom window of my old house...Totally freaked me out! But anyway, staying in the house opposite our old house for 3 months was very strange and when we left, it felt like I hadn't seen my old house for years...Was a very emotional time for the whole family that morning, especially when we found out all our neighbours had gathered just round the corner to wave us off...My mum was in tears!
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Ding dong...We are in exactly the same situation. We had an offer made and accepted on our house about 7-8 weeks ago and we were told at the time by our estate agents that our buyers had their mortgage offer in place. The Chelsea appointed surveyor and valuation chaps came and went after a few weeks.

We then started chasing up progress last week and we were then told that our buyers hadn't agreed their mortgage with the Chelsea and that they are now going through Abbey. The Abbey valuation chap came this morning BUT what worries us is that our estate agent is doing nothing to reassure us or keep us informed and so we don't know why our buyers changed lenders and this really concerns us.

We are subject to all of the same restrictions as you and it is really frustrating. I cannot resign, we cannot book flights or accomodation and also we are keen to exchange funds whilst the dollar is still relatively weak. We are holding off until we pass the exchange date because doing anything else would just be tempting fate to shit on us from a great height. We have also missed out on a few excellent business class deals as we cannot book our flights until we exchange.

We are being told that our completion date is still expected to be on or around the 23rd May BUT what I won't let happen is for the estate agents to put us in a situation where we have a few days to sort everything out (including shipping).

Sit tight is the only advice that I give myself and anyone else. If you take the risk of "sorting stuff out" before you exchange on your house sale, what seems likea bad situation now will seem like a mild headache in comparison to what might happen.
Oh Dear that sounds hard.
Really hope it all works out for you.I didn't think I was the only one around here in the same situation.
You want to get onto your estate agents and make them earn their money god know you pay enough.
Our agents to be fair have been really good and are keeping us well informed of everything happening and also the solicitor .It so frustrating not being able to book flights.
Have you sorted out your shippers yet?
Where are you heading?
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:57 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Dear that sounds hard.
Really hope it all works out for you.I didn't think I was the only one around here in the same situation.
You want to get onto your estate agents and make them earn their money god know you pay enough.
Our agents to be fair have been really good and are keeping us well informed of everything happening and also the solicitor .It so frustrating not being able to book flights.
Have you sorted out your shippers yet?
Where are you heading?
Hi.

On the positive side, the Abbey valuation chap said that his report would be on the appropriate persons desk by later-afternoon today, so hopefully things will start to move again now.

We've had John Mason and Doree Bonner over for a cup of tea and a chinwag. We are waiting for exchange before we arrange a shipping date and the chap at Doree Bonner is aware of our situation (to be honest John Mason haven't chased us up since they visited).

We are heading to Brisbane in mid-June (we hope?) but I am very nervous about the employment situation as I am in IT BUT we are putting lifestyle before jobs in the hope that it all works out.

Where are you heading?
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are off to the Sunshine Coast and are buying a butchers shop.So at least we will have an income coming in.
Had to drop on the sale of the house so that has had a knock on effect.
Like you say lifestyle change is priority.
Good Luck with the job.Cannot offer any advice I am afraid do not know anything about this line of work sorry.
We have booked John Masons and they are due to pack 18th and 19th May.
They are used to working to last minute changes so we should be okay if we do not complete by these dates.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:18 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

We are off to the Sunshine Coast and are buying a butchers shop.So at least we will have an income coming in.
Had to drop on the sale of the house so that has had a knock on effect.
Like you say lifestyle change is priority.
Good Luck with the job.Cannot offer any advice I am afraid do not know anything about this line of work sorry.
We have booked John Masons and they are due to pack 18th and 19th May.
They are used to working to last minute changes so we should be okay if we do not complete by these dates.
I think everyone is heading to QLD! Me and Chopper Boy (hubby) hope to be there mid-end July... We've just been to a big party on IoW to say goodbye to loads of peeps we wont see again.. that's weird!! House is sold.. just waiting to exchange contracts with our buyers (a guy I work with). Dog is off for a trial run with his new mum and dad this weekend ... hopefully he will get on ok, and not show himself up too much!!!

Leaving Party is booked for 1st July... and yes, we are kinda sh*tting bricks about it... but also really looking forward to getting there...

Good luck to everyone heading for Brissy/Sunshine/Goldie... maybe we should have a little drink to celebrate our arrival?

Sonic xx
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonicBird
I think everyone is heading to QLD! Me and Chopper Boy (hubby) hope to be there mid-end July... We've just been to a big party on IoW to say goodbye to loads of peeps we wont see again.. that's weird!! House is sold.. just waiting to exchange contracts with our buyers (a guy I work with). Dog is off for a trial run with his new mum and dad this weekend ... hopefully he will get on ok, and not show himself up too much!!!

Leaving Party is booked for 1st July... and yes, we are kinda sh*tting bricks about it... but also really looking forward to getting there...

Good luck to everyone heading for Brissy/Sunshine/Goldie... maybe we should have a little drink to celebrate our arrival?

Sonic xx
Hi Sonicbird I will second that.Drinkies when we all arrive sounds good.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:36 pm
kerrie/wayne

Hi Sonicbird I will second that.Drinkies when we all arrive sounds good.

hi ya , yeap you have it we are in the same situation isnt it frustrating
my advise would be to not do anything just yet ,do all your homework first so you now exactly what to do when you have the ok ,and plan a day or two to get eveything like flights accomm stopovers sorted ..
also regarding flights if you get a deal via the net then print it off take it to a travel agent and they will match or beat the price then they can do the hard work for you and sort out your stopovers most airlines the stopovers are free but you have to pay for accomm ..

good luck kez x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.