Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting Back Online Once In Aus...

Getting Back Online Once In Aus...

Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:01 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Default Getting Back Online Once In Aus...

We are not taking anything with us to Aus....a few clothes and towels only ...What's the quickest and best way to get back on line when we get there.. internet cafe, library or buy a laptop..etc...

CHEERS
CORKER
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:25 am
Banned

Freddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting Back Online Once In Aus...

Originally Posted by CORKER
We are not taking anything with us to Aus....a few clothes and towels only ...What's the quickest and best way to get back on line when we get there.. internet cafe, library or buy a laptop..etc...

CHEERS
CORKER
The obvious choice would be an internet cafe. Depending on how much you use the internet though it would be best to buy a laptop which is what we did and sign up with Hypermax who do really cheap dial up access.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Freddy
The obvious choice would be an internet cafe. Depending on how much you use the internet though it would be best to buy a laptop which is what we did and sign up with Hypermax who do really cheap dial up access.
If you opt for the laptop you can pop into any Telstra shop and either pick up a free disk ( need to put money on it later ) or buy a $20 disk connecting you to bigpond. This gives you 20 hours of surfing. We used this when we were in the serviced apartments. It was a god send.

If you don't have a laptop I would suggest internet cafes. Depending on where you are living. If you are living in the city then internet cafe. If in the burbs then go for the library.

hope it helps
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:11 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a disc from Optusnet from local electrical store it cost $40 and lasts for roughly 60days but has unlimited hours on it so worked out well for us....but remember everytime you dial up u also have the local call charge
Old Sep 11th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

One thing about internet cafes is that I used them when I first arrived to keep in contact with job agencies and sending out my cv. Problem was one of the cafes I used was infected with a virus and so my cv had a virus attached.

The job agency was not impressed (their own s/w picked up the virus on arrival). As I was applying for computer support work it was a bit embarrassing and they sent me letter asking what I was playing at.

I am now very concious about the vunerability of these internet cafes and only use them for non sensative browseing.

I consider libraries much safer but not as safe as your own computer (properly protected).