Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting from A to B.

Getting from A to B.

Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Default Getting from A to B.

Hi All,
Is it possible to know how many people get from A to B, transport wise.
I can drive myself, but my wife can't. So really that's my main fear for her, with us having 3 kids.
I know theres buses, trains, taxis, etc, but i worry that once i go work she'll have a right struggle getting to and from schools, shops, etc, if we were to move somewhere not close to schools or shops.
It's only a 10 minute bus ride away for the kids, to get to school, which is brilliant for her,then she goes to work after dropping them off.
Personally i think it's the reason i'm dragging my heels on the whole migration process. We've talked about going for it since we done a reccy nearly 3 year ago now, but to think if we went through everything and all the expense of it, then she tells me after a few month that she hates the thing of feeling isolated.
I'd like to know if it's just me worrying for nothing, or do all non drivers know what i'm trying to say.

cheers
Steve.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default Re: Getting from A to B.

Personally, whilst I lived in Adelaide,, if I couldnt have driven, I know for a fact I`d have been very isolated,, everything there is so spread out,, my children had to walk 45 mins to school if I was on an early shift and couldnt take them,, 45 mins isnt too bad but in the height of summer they said it was a killer! I cannot talk about the rest of OZ but where I was - a car was essential, I think it can be done with public transport, but I have no patience & have to be wherever Im going straight away. Would she not look into learning once she gets there? as an automatic car would maybe suit her if shes not confident with gears etc. Plus the process of learning is easier,,she can do it the log book way, I taught my 16yr old in OZ & when she came bk to the UK with us she only needed 10 lessons & passed 1st time!

Bluekipper
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pazza
Hi All,
I can drive myself, but my wife can't. So really that's my main fear for her, with us having 3 kids.
I know theres buses, trains, taxis, etc, but i worry that once i go work she'll have a right struggle getting to and from schools, shops, etc, if we were to move somewhere not close to schools or shops.
It's only a 10 minute bus ride away for the kids, to get to school, which is brilliant for her,then she goes to work after dropping them off.
Personally i think it's the reason i'm dragging my heels on the whole migration process. We've talked about going for it since we done a reccy nearly 3 year ago now, but to think if we went through everything and all the expense of it, then she tells me after a few month that she hates the thing of feeling isolated.
I'd like to know if it's just me worrying for nothing, or do all non drivers know what i'm trying to say.

cheers
Steve.
I'm based in north Brisbane, the OH drives, I don't - for numerous reasons I won't go into. I can cope, we live near a good bus route, and reasonably near trains, and I accept that I have to use taxis at times....BUT we don't have kids. I would have a lot of reservations about not driving when there are kids to ferry around. Its a half hour walk to the station for example, OK for me maybe, thats not so good this time of year, especially for little ones.
And if you are living in a suburb like this one - she will struggle to get shopping home - buses run to the city, not to the local shops, and I'm afraid she may feel isolated as suburban family life is built around families with cars.

Obviously each family is different, but most families are know here would struggle with one car.

Can I ask where you are heading for? Which city/suburb?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies Bluekipper & Pollyana,

Firstly, when i wrote the thread, i thought it was probably a daft question, but after reading your replies i'm glad i did.
Even at home here in the UK i think everyone who can drive just takes it for granted, as i do, "i'll just nip here, i'll just nip there", easily done in the car for me, but because my wife was in a serious road accident when see was only 4 years old, which left her blind to the left in both eyes, and partially paralysed in her left hand, she was told she would never be granted a driving licence on medical grounds. Don't get me wrong, she's a stunning looking woman, so i'm not after any sympathy. So getting back to the feeling isolated thing.
When we were in Oz about 3 year ago, we went to Surfers in Gold Coast for a month. All the housing estates we visited, like Pacific Pines, which we thought looked beautiful, but while we were driving around i was thinking "wheres the bus stops" to myself, and remember thinking she'll have a right trek, trying to get the kids to school.
Obviously if i could, i'd drop them off, but i'd have to be at work before they started school.
So if and when we go for it, i'd really like to know where would be the best place in Perth to go, where it would minimise travelling for her

I'm sorry if i'm sounding as though i'm whinging on, but i want everything to be right for all of us as a family.Then that's what would make it our dream move, because if she's happy we'll all be happy.

Last edited by pazza; Dec 17th 2008 at 6:31 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others, even living in Canberra which has a good bus system compared with many places, everything is just so far apart that if you dont drive you would find it a chore. With kids as well, it would be very isolating IMHO. We went for a few years without a car for economy purposes but we lived very close into the centre of town and I was young and fit at the time and so it wasnt that much of a hassle but then the kids got bigger and needed to do different things at the same time and so we rejoined the motor market.

I cant think of anything worse than being stuck out in some suburb where most of the population are two income families and there is little to do.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

I totally agree Quoll,
But there must be hundreds of families out there in the same situation, and are able to have a nice lifestyle, and get about without driving.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I knew of one women whilst I lived in OZ that didnt drive, she cycled everywhere, I wish I was that fit,, but that heat in summer must`ve got to her!

If you get good friends whilst over there they might help out,, I did for this particular person, esp with the kids for school!

Good luck
Bluekipper
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers,
I don't think it'll be a problem using public transport just as long as we don't go too far away from the schools. Has anyone got any information on suburbs in Perth with good public transport ?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:28 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree Quoll,
But there must be hundreds of families out there in the same situation, and are able to have a nice lifestyle, and get about without driving.
There are. I know lots of people where I live who use public transport and who have no cars. The buses and trains here are excellent. They usually run on time. I can walk to the bus stop and be assured of a train. If I'm out in the sun, I use a parasol and it keeps me cool enough. Sure you get hot if you're waiting.... but the trains and buses are air conditioned and you do acclimatise.

Life must be tricky for you now... it will be tricky here too. But you could live within a ten minute bus ride of the kid's school here too. Course you could. Or maybe 20... would that be ok?
I think it depends where you live and you're going to have to live fairly central to the town I guess, but I can't see that as a bad thing. THe places you mention aren't out in the sticks... they have good regular buses and trains to get around.
I suppose, also that where it might get sticky is if you have a commute from work and one of you can't pick up kids - so you might need an hour's after school care... which would prob have tax refunds given your wife's circs... so once again, not impossible at all....
Just different.

HOWEVER, I wonder, given your wife's disability if there wouldn't be some sort of help available to her from the gvt to help her get around. There are lots of community transport buses that I know come and pick people up from designated areas.... and drop them in town or whatever.
A local council website might be able to advise you better and it's possible your wife would have some sort of disability pension here in Aus, which could go on transport to help her out.

You're both obviously plucky types or you wouldn't be contemplating it. But I have found Aus transport to be so much better.
I live out in the sticks, in the Blue Mountains west of sydney... I don't find getting around a problem at all. I regularly get the trains into the city here. I don't always use the car to go to a job either. I walk into town a lot too...
I don't feel isolated.... I think that's down to the sort of person you are and what you do with your time. There's always people close.

I have noticed people with disabilities get more looked after here in certain areas, than they do in the UK. I would start by emailing your local council in wherever you plan to settle. Also, perhaps Centrelink too.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that TiddlyPom,
I think reading posts like this will really help Maria(wife) .
We're really happy go lucky people, and make friends very easily, so i think we'll be ok.
Thanks again.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

You don't say how old the kids are, which makes a big difference, or where you are going to stay (you mention Perth and Gold Coast).

We are in Melbourne and 20k from CBD. Son walks 2 mins to school (12 yo), I have 20 mins bus ride to work. Walk to restuarants, shops and supermarket. There are primary schools, kindergartens and parks within 5 minutes walk. There is a bus loop to the big shopping centres. We have no trams or trains in this suburb, so add that and it would be great (move closer to CBD and you would have them).

Also bus drivers here will stop for people running to catch the bus (its true I tell you!) and women with young kids get first class treatment (as far as I have seen).

We were in St Kilda with no car for 2 weeks at the start and it was easy to get around (not as easy as doing it running a family I know)

I know its hard to secure rentals where you want them and lots of research is needed, but you may be able to find commuter friendly locations. Your situation is much harder than ours, but it could work for you.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:02 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carlap
You don't say how old the kids are, which makes a big difference, or where you are going to stay (you mention Perth and Gold Coast).

We are in Melbourne and 20k from CBD. Son walks 2 mins to school (12 yo), I have 20 mins bus ride to work. Walk to restuarants, shops and supermarket. There are primary schools, kindergartens and parks within 5 minutes walk. There is a bus loop to the big shopping centres. We have no trams or trains in this suburb, so add that and it would be great (move closer to CBD and you would have them).

Also bus drivers here will stop for people running to catch the bus (its true I tell you!) and women with young kids get first class treatment (as far as I have seen).

We were in St Kilda with no car for 2 weeks at the start and it was easy to get around (not as easy as doing it running a family I know)

I know its hard to secure rentals where you want them and lots of research is needed, but you may be able to find commuter friendly locations. Your situation is much harder than ours, but it could work for you.
I'm a bit further out of the CBD in mornington but where I live there's a few schools within a 20 min walk also 3 buses on different routes which head to frankston (and all stop at my local shopping centre about a 5-10 min walk) which is a fairly large city and from there there's a train to Melbourne which runs every quarter of an hour. the only thing I find is unlike uk the buses don't seem to go through housing estates but skirt round them
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:12 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

We dropped from 2 cars to 1 when our second child was born and struggled.

For a while I commuted on the bus, but the 1hr+ journey each way together with vague timetables and sketchy reliability had me in a near homicidal rage most days.

I tried taking the car sometimes, but leaving the wife and kids stuck at home wasnt popular. Our finances wouldnt stretch to a second car so after some research I went out and got a bike licence. I spent $5k on a second hand bike, training and safety gear and now have a 15 minute commute to work stress-free.

If a full motorcycle is a bit daunting, then a automatic scooter might be more manageable and still gives you the ability to get out and about at very low cost and high convenience.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

cheers
Steve.
In all honesty, its a difficult one. Life doesn't stop here because you've no acces to a car, BUT (and its a big but) it is made much easier if you do. Distances are far greater, suburbs are more spread out, and walking anything more than 10 minutes back and forth to school with kids, just isn't practical in the heat and sun.

If you do decide to move over, do plenty of research into public transport routes and hubs and work backwards from there to let it inform you of suitable suburbs, streets and schools.

Best of luck
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I drive and like others take it for granted. However where we live we know that when we cannot drive we will be able to get the bus and train very easily and everything in the town is in walking or scooter distance. I guess you need to think country towns and smaller communities. On the Peninsula here especially on the western port side the communities are separate and each of them is good for people who do not drive. For instance there are three schools 10mins walk away and the shopping centres are walking distance and they deliver the groceries.

I guess if you want to migrate then you need to find a community like mine where not driving is not a problem. We have a lot of older people in the town who move here for the convenience and the retirement village.

Once friends are made I am sure they would assist as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.