Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Getting" Australia

"Getting" Australia

Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:02 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Getting" Australia

It has often been said on here that people either "get" Australia or they don't.

Now I've only been here 2 and a half years so I'm no expert, but to me, Australia is where I live. Full stop. I don't see what there is to "get". I also don't recall "getting" (or not!) England or Scotland when I lived in those countries.

So for those of you who do "get" it, can you please explain it to those who either don't or for those like me who don't see what there is to "get" (or maybe I'm the only one , or even maybe I do "get" it and just haven't realised )

Jane
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:07 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Getting" Australia

So does nobody else get it either, or do you just not want to share?

Jane
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim

Jane
Jane, perhaps it goes back to this thread from a couple of years ago (Badge=Thatsnotquiteright), when Badge was adamant that you either got it or not got it, then loads of others agreed, loads disagreed and it became a bit of a bun fight
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=188616&pp=15

To me, Australia is something on many levels and I like some bits, don't like others. Ditto UK. There's no 'getting it' or 'not getting it' for me....in fact, I never understood that thread first time round . !
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see you were around in 2003 too so you know who Thatsnotquiteright was in his former life!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

Jane
I don't 'get' what people mean by 'getting it.' Surely you can like it or not like it, but how do you 'get' a country?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Jane
OK, I'll bite. Here's my interpretation. Like you, I've lived in Scotland and England.

Growing up in one place means you will naturally become aware of the values and expectations of someone in your position, and of the opportunities available. You understand it whether or not you like it, or choose to fit in with it. The differences between, say, suburban living in Manchester and Glasgow are minor enough for you to be able to adapt, yet understand the local flavour (e.g. Late nights out in the pub with Irn Bru the next morning, versus compressed Sunday afternoon drinking in a hotel.) It's easy to live in either place because you would have spent so long getting to know the majority of the unwritten rules that you just "get it." You may have to work harder to fit in with a move in the UK that encompasses very different societies ... e.g. moving from a farm cottage in Aberdeenshire to a council estate in Brixton. There will be an awful lot of difference between what is expected of you to get along in each case, and a lot of it will be unspoken.

Many people seem to come to Australia with a view of what is necessary to get on with life that unfortunately doesn't equip them for what they really find. Some may adapt. They "get it" eventually. Some are lucky and they just find the place matches their world-view. They "get it" straight away and are puzzled by those who struggle to get on, or to appreciate what they find. I hope that you, like me, find yourself in that position - and it sounds as if you do. Those who can't get over preconceptions, or who find that the way of life here doesn't match what they need to feel content, sadly, never "get it."

I find plenty of occasions where I meet people who are friendly but who have a very different background to me. I find I'm not sure what to say to smooth the conversation along without sounding false or condescending (and I often sound condescending when it's the very opposite to my intention! lol) I just "don't get it."

Does that help at all? (Said in the least condescending way possible! )
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that some people are equipped to deal with some things and some aren't - on a variety and broad level of things. Anything from jobs, sports, business, social relations etc. It's not even related to where you live, but for some reason, migration seems to bring out the worst or best in people.

It's not so 'price' sensitive in the UK (to use an economic term) because people are reusing knowledge or prior assets, or family to get along. They come over here and then they are stuffed- maybe they have never had to think for themselves - really think for themselves. It never ceases to amaze me how men and women who have managed to get a job and have a kid cannot even adapt to a new skill, or get out of a mindset, they've been reusing the same old skillset for 20 years. When I was first in the workforce I used to lead men 10 or 20 years older than myself and did things that even middle managers never do, or need to do. I quite enjoy imparting these skills to managers at work, you can almost see them wondering where I learnt it all! They come up to me and ask me for my opinion - even though I am happy to sit in the corner and keep out of it because alot of it bores me. I find working in industry is almost a game, noone's going to die over any decision I make.

I've spent a whole lifetime making things work - I've had a ball along the way and I've enjoyed focusing these skills as a migrant.

It's annoying when people blame a country's culture because I know people from all walks of life and from different cultures who have been OK and happy who have done some amazing things along the way, and they all share a kind of attitude. It's not even selfish, or arrogant - I've met people who are very priveleged who also 'share' and are generous.

It's an attitude thing! That's all. You either have it or you don't. I noticed that people just seem to get a bit blinkered at times - forget the Walkers crisps and move on! I always get a bit uneasy and suspicious about all that. Some migrants seem to get stuck in a rut. I've found that Australia has been a lot of fun.

The day I stop learning is the day I might as well give up. I love learning, I've never minded asking questions, I'm never scared to admit I don't know the answer. People love teaching - tap in to it. Tap in to Australia too!

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Aug 6th 2006 at 12:17 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ
OK, I'll bite. Here's my interpretation. Like you, I've lived in Scotland and England.

Growing up in one place means you will naturally become aware of the values and expectations of someone in your position, and of the opportunities available. You understand it whether or not you like it, or choose to fit in with it. The differences between, say, suburban living in Manchester and Glasgow are minor enough for you to be able to adapt, yet understand the local flavour (e.g. Late nights out in the pub with Irn Bru the next morning, versus compressed Sunday afternoon drinking in a hotel.) It's easy to live in either place because you would have spent so long getting to know the majority of the unwritten rules that you just "get it." You may have to work harder to fit in with a move in the UK that encompasses very different societies ... e.g. moving from a farm cottage in Aberdeenshire to a council estate in Brixton. There will be an awful lot of difference between what is expected of you to get along in each case, and a lot of it will be unspoken.

Many people seem to come to Australia with a view of what is necessary to get on with life that unfortunately doesn't equip them for what they really find. Some may adapt. They "get it" eventually. Some are lucky and they just find the place matches their world-view. They "get it" straight away and are puzzled by those who struggle to get on, or to appreciate what they find. I hope that you, like me, find yourself in that position - and it sounds as if you do. Those who can't get over preconceptions, or who find that the way of life here doesn't match what they need to feel content, sadly, never "get it."

I find plenty of occasions where I meet people who are friendly but who have a very different background to me. I find I'm not sure what to say to smooth the conversation along without sounding false or condescending (and I often sound condescending when it's the very opposite to my intention! lol) I just "don't get it."

Bang on.

If you get it, you get it all, everywhere. You don't need to play by rules, or convention, or a certain brand of crisps. You just bring your assets and abilities to bear in a variety of situations. I find I get people in general, and Australians in general are not a hard bunch. In fact curiously, I find that they remind me of a lot of people I liked in the UK. I don't believe in worrying about someone's background -there will always be some rapport or common ground somewhere, if you've experienced a fair bit.

Might have helped that I went to a posh school but also grew up on a council estate.

Shit, I get fustrated by people on this site!!!

Another edit - by the way, I'm feeling charitable. If this post further confuses people, can't help you there. All I'm saying is that some people seem to get their knickers in a twist over the smallest things and there is a lot of fun, and opportunities to be had over here. I remember my first year here, I spent most of my time, on receive rather than send, did a lot of listening and watching, and asking people for advice - to me brutally honest, I think it might have actually got me some respect too - see not all Australians like to banter or talk about cricket - there are quiet ones too. Now, well I'm as opinonated as a rural fire brigade captain.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Aug 6th 2006 at 12:47 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:26 pm
Born to be ignored

Originally Posted by CHnJ

Thank you for that. Not condescending at all. I suspect our backgrounds are pretty similar

I think that, perhaps, some people can over-analyse, whereas I'm happy to toddle along quite nicely, thank you, and take each hurdle or happy day as it comes. (Not that the hurdles don't frustrate the hell out of me ) I think I actually prefer to be that way.

To be frustrated by or judgemental of other people's reactions to circumstances is of absolutely no use to either myself or them and so I shall carry on down my own merry way in life, being of any help to others that I happen to pass.

Jane
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

It has often been said on here that people either "get" Australia or they don't.

Now I've only been here 2 and a half years so I'm no expert, but to me, Australia is where I live. Full stop. I don't see what there is to "get". I also don't recall "getting" (or not!) England or Scotland when I lived in those countries.

So for those of you who do "get" it, can you please explain it to those who either don't or for those like me who don't see what there is to "get" (or maybe I'm the only one , or even maybe I do "get" it and just haven't realised )

Jane
Hi,we dont care abouting "getting" Australia,just cant wait to get there!!!And get on with it,cheers Dave