Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting an AUS credit card using UK credit history?

Getting an AUS credit card using UK credit history?

Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting an AUS credit card using UK credit history?

We are moving to Sydney from the UK in January.

In the UK, I have a long and unblemished credit history (confirmed by checking Experian). Is there any known way I can leverage this to get an $AUS credit card on or before arrival in Australia, with a decent credit limit (e.g. $20-30k)?

I have already spoken to ANZ (with whom I have just opened a current account) and they aren't able (willing) to help. Are there any other providers who can?

Will it make any difference if I get banking or mortgage references from my UK providers?

Cheers,

Dave
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:51 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting an AUS credit card using UK credit history?

Originally Posted by bigdave764
We are moving to Sydney from the UK in January.

In the UK, I have a long and unblemished credit history (confirmed by checking Experian). Is there any known way I can leverage this to get an $AUS credit card on or before arrival in Australia, with a decent credit limit (e.g. $20-30k)?

I have already spoken to ANZ (with whom I have just opened a current account) and they aren't able (willing) to help. Are there any other providers who can?

Will it make any difference if I get banking or mortgage references from my UK providers?

Cheers,

Dave
Any UK credit history is not worth a cracker to Australian banks, businesses etc etc, especially for that amount you require. Most wouldn't know, or care, who Experian was.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an American Express card they might transfer your limit.

or

HSBC have helped many expats - if you are an existing customer that is.

Because of the global credit crunch banks are being more cautious then they have been.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

I got a Gold Mastercard from the commonwealth bank after only being here for six weeks. I think as long as you have money in the bank and a job it will be okay.

Bobby
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
I got a Gold Mastercard from the commonwealth bank after only being here for six weeks. I think as long as you have money in the bank and a job it will be okay.

Bobby
I'd agree with this. When we first arrived the Commonwealth Bank opened a bank account for us with no problem. They said not to apply for a credit card straight away but to wait until the first salary payment was made. We did this and got approved for a card no problem.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:49 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
...I think as long as you have money in the bank and a job it will be okay...
Yup... We bank with Westpac who have a Migrant Banking division who OK'd a $30k credit card for us...
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:52 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
If you have an American Express card they might transfer your limit...
Ha! I had a Platinum Amex card for many years in the UK and applied for a Wizard card here (there's some tie up with AMEX - they do the same rewards so you can transfer to Virgin air miles) and despite it asking for your current or previous AMEX card number they wouldn't even give me a card with a lousy $5k on it...! :curse:
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:01 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC would only give $1000 limit - useless (And I was a customer!)

Virgin gave $20k immediately - try them.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I need to wait until I am in Australia before I can apply for any of these banks, or can I apply for the credit card before leaving the UK?

Cheers,

Dave
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I waited until I had a job,then got a credit card a couple of months after we arrived with no problems. Apparently the system here is different to the UK - they aren't looking for a long record of good credit, they just want to see that you don't have anything bad on your record. (Apparently! I don't have any reference for this)
One thing about Amex though, is that a lot of places won't accept it (in my experience anyway) I don't know why - higher charges maybe?
You don't have to have an aussie credit card immediately anyway, just use your UK one. Check the charges, and if you need to then open a low-charge/no-charge one before you set off. Nationwide have one with no charges I think - or they did a few months ago.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Apparently the system here is different to the UK - they aren't looking for a long record of good credit, they just want to see that you don't have anything bad on your record. (Apparently! I don't have any reference for this).
Quite true. Credit Bureaus here only record adverse info (bankruptcies, defaults etc) and applications for credit. They don't know what credit has been granted to you - only what you've applied for. There's nothing on it that relates to 'good' behaviour so there's no point in trying to build a credit rating as in the UK.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

You need proof of income and being a PR helps.

We got $26,900 in our first week of being here.

You can't apply for one from the UK as you need to present 100 points of ID to the bank, same as when you arrive to verify or open your account.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:58 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Re American Express.

Yes you can transfer your card to American Express Australia. Speak to Amex and they will contact Amex Australia who will then transfer the same card type to you. They will also happily give you a credit card to match the charge card.

Also they will also credit all reward points you have on the card and apply a conversion rate of x 2.5 to make up the difference in what australian dollar points are worth.

As usual top rate service from them. But of course you pay for this in your annual membership.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:36 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigdave764

ANZ won't be unique with this response.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by @boy
ANZ won't be unique with this response.
I got a gold Altitiude card from Westpac about 4 weeks after i arrived.

Tried both the HSBC and Bank of Queensland and got nowhere with them.

Couldn't even get finance for a car. I did however get finance from St George through a dealer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.