Reload this Page >

Getting acclimatised

Getting acclimatised

Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting acclimatised

Hi

I was wondering if anyone who has moved from the UK to Australia (particularly Queensland) could offer any opinions on how long it takes to get acclimatised, purely in terms of the weather.

We are moving to Brisbane at the end of September and although we'll have a couple of months before the really hot weather hits, I'm a bit concerned about how we'll cope as we've been dying in 35 degrees in London!

Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

The last time we went was in the January and it was 37 degrees, and I know that it sounds difficult to believe, but it wasn't that heavy oppresive heat that you tend to get here. I am sure that as you go further North, it would be hell and at times unbearable when it hit the 40s.
This was in WA and only went as far North as Perth.

Whisky
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:28 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

I agree with Whisky. The heat in Brisbane is totally different. I'm sweltering at the minute with the weather only being 28, but out there 32 is very comfortable. My daughter loved it too, being dressed in only pants helped though i think!!!

When i was out there in Jan 2001 i kept a diary of the temperature and it is full of 29, 30, 32, 36! and 25. Under the temperature of 25, I've actually written "Oh my god, I'm in Australia and I have goosebumps from being COLD!!!"
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I found it very cool in the evenings, and had to change into trousers and a light cardi.

Whisky
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Because our move is so close now I'm suddenly finding myself worrying about stuff i should have thought of a year ago!

I can't imagine being comfortable in 37 degrees Whisky but i am very happy to take your word for it that its a "different kind" of heat.

If not I'll have to follow your daughter's example Brisbec and wear only my pants!

My boyfriend will be glad to hear that the temp drops at night. he's quite "furry" and really can't sleep at the moment he's so hot. The fact that we have a £10 electric fan from B&Q and not air conditioning might be part of the problem admittedly!
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had to go out and buy another blanket for the bed I was sleeping in at night because I felt cold.

I have bought some light quilts to take with me for the Summer, but after reading peoples other posts on how cold it feels in the house in the winter, have decided to take my heavy quilts from here too.

Whisky
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi whisky

Sorry, I should probably know this but where are you headed? Back to WA?

Would you or other members recommend we take coats and jumpers to Brisbane? We are trying to not take anything too heavy but don't want to be ill equipped or fork out for alot of stuff we already own.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 3:08 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, heat is different to U.K. and Australia. The U.K. heat tends to be more humidity than the Australia heat, however you do get some humid days in Australia.

I dont think you need coats or jumpers in QLD, you will need a jumper if you are heading down sydney way in the winter.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

We aren't sure where we will settle, but my Brother lives at Mandurah, so we will be going there after landing in Perth.

I don't know about Brisbane, so really don't know.

If I had a decent coat, I would probably take it just in case, but mine will be the last thing I put in the bin as I shut the door behind me, and then buy something if I need one out there. I am sure that some sort of coat would be needed at times as they do have wind and rain.

If I hadn't been before and hadn't been on this forum, I would probably have thrown everything away, but knowing differently now, there won't be much I leave behind.
You pay for a container, not the weight, so I am taking everything, and if I don't need it there, I will get rid of it then.

Its no good wishing that you had brought this and that when you get there, and realising you gave away so much at these Car boot sales, when you now have to replace them.

Whisky
Old Aug 10th 2003, 3:21 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Talking Ah 37 thats lovely!?

I have an Uncle and aunt living on Tamworth ACT and there children my cousins i guess? live in Brisi. They tell me that they cant stand the Humidity in the Brisbane area due to the close prox to the sea and creeks rivers etc, obviously causing Humidity. They tell me it gets so bad they have trouble working sleeping concent.... . Hey they do live only mins from the outback proper and it is very dry.

What the heck I say there air con is so much better than ours and it is reverse cycle so it keeps you warm when you have become acliemd.

Get over there if its to much Perth is nice that time of year

Good Luck we are not at all Green with envy
Old Aug 10th 2003, 4:28 pm
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by rachels
Hi whisky

Sorry, I should probably know this but where are you headed? Back to WA?

Would you or other members recommend we take coats and jumpers to Brisbane? We are trying to not take anything too heavy but don't want to be ill equipped or fork out for alot of stuff we already own.
When we came here we left all our warm clothes behind in UK thinking it never got cold here. Wrong!

We are just outside of Sydney and get heavy frost but no snow but do get the cold winds sometimes when it snows in the mountains.

Had a holiday up to Cairns in Qld in August last year. We were in t shirts and shorts but the locals up there were wearing coats!

You wont need snow gear there but I would definately take some warm stuff with you
Carol

Old Aug 10th 2003, 5:02 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

You'll be best advised to take some sort of cold weather clothing or buy it out there as Brisbane sometimes gets the tail end of the rain monsoon thingys!!!
We had hailstones the size of golf balls the last time i was out there and we had to batton down the hatches when the wind blew up.

You'll probably end up buying a Drizabone jacket, good for keeping out the rain.

Just remember that Bris is sub-tropical so just about anything could be expected (even when wearing pants!!!)
Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You will need jumpers and stuff in Brisbane - Carl spent several days lately with the heating on there. It does get cold!
Also, it really IS a different sort of heat, though neither of us can explain the difference - oppressive cound be the closest I can come up with. . He's just arrived at Heathrow and is flat out cos its so hot - and he said straight away that the heat is different.
You don't feel as washed out by it in Brisbane, also everywhere is more ready to deal with it - air con etc.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to know the heat is different.

It is amazing over the weekend the amount of people who have said ` ohh isn`t it hot, you won`t like it in Oz, its hotter there`

Other half has been saying `maybe we should look at NZ` oh no i have said Oz or nothing.

footie chick xx
Old Aug 10th 2003, 7:04 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by brisbec
I agree with Whisky. The heat in Brisbane is totally different. I'm sweltering at the minute with the weather only being 28, but out there 32 is very comfortable. My daughter loved it too, being dressed in only pants helped though i think!!!

When i was out there in Jan 2001 i kept a diary of the temperature and it is full of 29, 30, 32, 36! and 25. Under the temperature of 25, I've actually written "Oh my god, I'm in Australia and I have goosebumps from being COLD!!!"

Er.....No I don't think so. Brisbane is sub-tropical an consequently experiences high humidity rates. If you are thinking that Brisbane has a 'dry' heat then you are way off the mark. Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.