Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Get me out this hell hole!

Get me out this hell hole!

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:20 pm
togooff&things

Default Get me out this hell hole!

Please let me be away by Christmas! We don't live in too bad an area, but that's the 2nd body tonight they have found in a few months right opposite our garden over the field. 1st was a drugs overdose, tonight a boy hung himself! Jesus christ - what a world is this. I've no bright-eyed ideals that it's any better anywhere else - but at least in Oz I may be able to not have any neighbours and live in relative seclusion! Suit me fine! What a sad, sad world!

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: Get me out this hell hole!

Originally Posted by togooff&things
Please let me be away by Christmas! We don't live in too bad an area, but that's the 2nd body tonight they have found in a few months right opposite our garden over the field. 1st was a drugs overdose, tonight a boy hung himself! Jesus christ - what a world is this. I've no bright-eyed ideals that it's any better anywhere else - but at least in Oz I may be able to not have any neighbours and live in relative seclusion! Suit me fine! What a sad, sad world!
Yes it is m'dear, and it keeps getting closer to home doesn't it?
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 7:00 pm
togooff&things

Originally Posted by logan
Yes it is m'dear, and it keeps getting closer to home doesn't it?
You being around these parts must see how bad it's got here of late! Tell you if it gets any "closer to home" it'll be in my garden - literally! That all and the weather changes! I really think more people in Scotland have S.A.D than anywhere else and only a tiny minority know it!

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Get me out this hell hole!

i dont know what part of scotland you live in! but if i was staying i would move there!! sounds like a bed of roses!!

just think if you were staying you can see what life your teenage kids would have coming to them!! it really is sad!! strangly tho, i dont feel any guilt about not staying and trying to fix the problems!!

time to get selfish!! think of number one!!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:09 pm
togooff&things

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi
i dont know what part of scotland you live in! but if i was staying i would move there!! sounds like a bed of roses!!

just think if you were staying you can see what life your teenage kids would have coming to them!! it really is sad!! strangly tho, i dont feel any guilt about not staying and trying to fix the problems!!

time to get selfish!! think of number one!!

Yup, sink or swim time!
Although I have found out that the boy tonight was a mate of our nephew and had been badly burnt a few weeks ago in an accident and ended it 'cos of depression since! Lordy! One of my University work colleagues did the same thing a few months ago? Is it Edinburgh or Scotland or UK?

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, sink or swim time!
Although I have found out that the boy tonight was a mate of our nephew and had been badly burnt a few weeks ago in an accident and ended it 'cos of depression since! Lordy! One of my University work colleagues did the same thing a few months ago? Is it Edinburgh or Scotland or UK?
Sorry guys
The suicide rate is far higher in Australia than the UK:

http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/

G
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Grayling
Sorry guys
The suicide rate is far higher in Australia than the UK:

http://www.who.int/mental_health/pre...iciderates/en/

G
stats!! i got it in the ear the other day for using them!!

were in scotland mate, much smaller population, and depending where you live, the suicide rate is mega higher here!! sorry to dissapoint!!

(tryin hard not to mension the oz bashing side!!)
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

hi
quite an interesting point. can you explain what you mean about what life holds for your kids in the UK? I just wonder how a future in the UK compares to a future in AUstralia.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
hi
quite an interesting point. can you explain what you mean about what life holds for your kids in the UK? I just wonder how a future in the UK compares to a future in AUstralia.
well where do i start??

deb and i just made it!! if you know what i mean! a huge chunk of our friends from the past are either dead, jail or so high and pale you dont recognise them! if you do you look the other way!!

the cost, its so high to entertain your kids, but you have no choice or they will stray!! you dont have the cheep options here like outdoors!! everything social here is caterd for which has a cost!!

and a young couple cant get on the property market here now so what will it be like in 15 years time when mine flee the nest!!

apart from family, id say theres nothing here to stay for!! and i really mean that!!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:45 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Maybe Toogooff&things was right. Maybe it is a Scottish thing. Much though I love the old country I much prefer living in Australia. 5 years here now so rose tints are long gone.
I'm not bashing the UK but my preferance is certainly Australia, higher suicide rates & all.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

well where do i start??

deb and i just made it!! if you know what i mean! a huge chunk of our friends from the past are either dead, jail or so high and pale you dont recognise them! if you do you look the other way!!

the cost, its so high to entertain your kids, but you have no choice or they will stray!! you dont have the cheep options here like outdoors!! everything social here is caterd for which has a cost!!

and a young couple cant get on the property market here now so what will it be like in 15 years time when mine flee the nest!!

apart from family, id say theres nothing here to stay for!! and i really mean that!!
cripes - I didn't know what you meant but some elements of society are quite shocking. To be honest, it's not typical of the UK tho is it?

First time buyers are priced out of the Australian property market as much as they are in the UK, some places being worse than others. Consider when your children are earning Aussie $$ and buying property with Aussie $$, ...........

Where are you headed?
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:57 pm
togooff&things

well where do i start??

Well said! I can't let my kids play in the streets with other kids or he's come back with a foul mouth (and probably distroy our home!) I have 3 very good, well paid P/T jobs and we still can not afford to buy a property. We are stranded! Our sanctuary is the swimming pool - indoors, fun, free for the kids, bonding and relaxing! The woman down the road has just had her kids taken off her while she goes into rehab! I run into my house and lock the door. A four year old tried to rip the window wippers off our car last year and when my husband complained to his mother - she sent her "fella" round with a broken bottle and set about my husband. The good thing for us is that we are in the media - and I video taped the assult from the upper window - he got 6 months! But I am so surprised at the spread in Edinburgh - rape & thieft have soared in the last year and that's in the posh areas - people being cut up left in your garden, at the moment it looks like we have a few serial rapists on the loose - we are a small town really - it's so scary!

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Get me out this hell hole!

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
cripes - I didn't know what you meant but some elements of society are quite shocking. To be honest, it's not typical of the UK tho is it?

First time buyers are priced out of the Australian property market as much as they are in the UK, some places being worse than others. Consider when your children are earning Aussie $$ and buying property with Aussie $$, ...........

Where are you headed?
were off to perth!! a billion miles away from the south of edinburgh!!

my kids will leep onto the property market!! we'll make sure of that!!

we wont spoil them but no way will they struggle like us in the early years!!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Get me out this hell hole!

Well said! I can't let my kids play in the streets with other kids or he's come back with a foul mouth (and probably distroy our home!) I have 3 very good, well paid P/T jobs and we still can not afford to buy a property. We are stranded! Our sanctuary is the swimming pool - indoors, fun, free for the kids, bonding and relaxing! The woman down the road has just had her kids taken off her while she goes into rehab! I run into my house and lock the door. A four year old tried to rip the window wippers off our car last year and when my husband complained to his mother - she sent her "fella" round with a broken bottle and set about my husband. The good thing for us is that we are in the media - and I video taped the assult from the upper window - he got 6 months! But I am so surprised at the spread in Edinburgh - rape & thieft have soared in the last year and that's in the posh areas - people being cut up left in your garden, at the moment it looks like we have a few serial rapists on the loose - we are a small town really - it's so scary!
we went to wet'n'wild in north sheilds on monday!! it was dead! 11 flumes all to our selves! total fun!! i can imajinne it would be a nightmare weekends and holidays but def worth goin to pass time till you leave!!
makes leith water world look like a puddle!!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

well where do i start??

I live in one of the glossiest parts of Australia, near Noosa on the the Sunshne Coast, just yesterday the Sunshine Coast was again named the most desirable part of Australia to live in. I imagine from what people desire on this forum it must look like heaven.

Since my son left school 2 years ago, several of his school mates are Dead. One from skin cancer which spread, but the majority in car crashes, you will not go a week without another teen being killed in some part of OZ because they have to drive so young just to get around, 2 more from drug overdoses and one from suicide. In fact my guess is fortnighly here one teen smash is in the paper. Grayling is a mental health nurse and has confirmed the suicide rates, did you know the suicide rate for teenagers in Australia especially boys is the highest in the world by Austalias own admission, jobs in many parts of OZ are very difficult once they pass the magic 18 of cheap wages, Uni places are very difficult to get. Yesterdays newspaper headline apart from booming property market was the murder trial of a drugged up father outside of a supermarket in Caloundra. Yet we are one of Australias low crime areas, I'm sure someone from a poor area in Melbourne/Sydney/Ipswich will match anything you get in Scotland. Property prices to Australians are just as unachievable to aussies and they are to the english in england, its the pounds that make OZ property affordable so if your kids grow up as aussies they face the same property dilema.

Its very sad that people really dont understand Australia and Australians, just like the UK many live in poverty and misery take drugs and top themselves, and many like me work their butts off to get somewhere, we have all the same problems and temptations, fate, economic and political dilemas, crimes and drugs. Australia does not just consist of upmarket housing estates where everyone has a bloody pool and 2 cars and takes valium to get through the boredom and barbeques, we have areas that will shock the hell out of YOU in the UK, you just dont see them on UK TV tho

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.