Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

geology degree in WA now?

geology degree in WA now?

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all
Default Re: geology degree in WA now?

I think i have to agree with verystormy

All my mates are doing various geo jobs.. academic, consultancy, regional authorities.. and they are coming from different angles, geologists, geophysics, GIS etc..

Now i dont no diddly boo about WA.. but certainly in NZ and where my nates are.. UK, US, ME.. they aren't out of work.. and when one area has a down turn.. another area pops up

OK.. there is the issue of relocation.. yup.. fair one.. it can be a hassle

But mix in geo and some form of water.. planning, compliance..etc in my exp there is always work even in a downturn.

There has been no let up in work these last few years for me.. money is coming in regularly and if you have a reasonably diverse skill set.. so you can turn to another niche within geo.. then its a happy career choice.

but as i say regarding WA.. not a clue.. hence me being on here..
but for the OP.. go for it.. find your passion.. and have fun.. and be prepared to end up in new disciplines you never thought you'd be in (Me..started.. Env Geochemistry (ARD).....now hydrogeologist and contaminant transport)

Deep Six
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot DeepSix.

People, you so helped, so encouraged me, thanks for that.. I was told there would be basically no jobs at all when things get a bit rocky with mining. I was very very not confident about geology as a career choice. Thnaks a lot again.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weebie
90-100k isn't a large salary in Perth its improtant to keep that in perspective. The thign to remember is that ok there are a few jobs now with the mining boom but in reality in terms of exploration australia has essentially been explored. Everyone is aware of where everything is.

Unless your over 50 and haven't been here for ages its really hard to comment on the future of the of the industry. in 97-98 there was a period where there wasn't one single geology job and many geos had to go overseas. My father for instance went to Russia like many. One you hit 50 if you lose your job your career is pretty much over. We have one guy in my dads office who at 55 or so is very very greatful for the 20 hrs he recieves a week.

The original question was is it a good long term career and realistically the answer simply is no.

mm/. I do agree 90-100k is not large salary IN MINING. My husband is an electrician and we both consider his current salary as 180k is very very low.

About Russia - contrcators who work for Shell make 22-40k aud a month, and apart from engineers it is also TAFE qualification Im talkling about. If I had to got to Russia to work for that kind of money, I would probably consider))
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

What most people dont understand, and this amazes me, is that everything you have is reliant on mining. The computer you are sat infront of required the minerals of litraly hundreds of mines - copper, alumina, lead, zinc, gold, platinum, rare earths, iron ore. The list goes on and on. Evertime you buy something you are buying from a mine. Even if you buy a bad of carrots you are reliying on mining. The farm machinery had to be made from something.

With world populations increasing and the living standards of them people increasing, the industry is going to be under increasing pressure to supply the resources to match their needs. Ultimatly the minerals industry is based on sex. Yep sex. Because as long as people go and have sex, they will have babies and as they have babies, they need the resources.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
What most people dont understand, and this amazes me, is that everything you have is reliant on mining. The computer you are sat infront of required the minerals of litraly hundreds of mines - copper, alumina, lead, zinc, gold, platinum, rare earths, iron ore. The list goes on and on. Evertime you buy something you are buying from a mine. Even if you buy a bad of carrots you are reliying on mining. The farm machinery had to be made from something.

With world populations increasing and the living standards of them people increasing, the industry is going to be under increasing pressure to supply the resources to match their needs. Ultimatly the minerals industry is based on sex. Yep sex. Because as long as people go and have sex, they will have babies and as they have babies, they need the resources.
Thats correct of course, but it doesnt necessarily mean that WA boom will last forever ot at least 20 years which will enable all us to buy a pretty house or two.. And we live in WA. It may get difficult if large number of au geologists will start looking for jobs in other places..
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laven
mm/. I do agree 90-100k is not large salary IN MINING. My husband is an electrician and we both consider his current salary as 180k is very very low.

About Russia - contrcators who work for Shell make 22-40k aud a month, and apart from engineers it is also TAFE qualification Im talkling about. If I had to got to Russia to work for that kind of money, I would probably consider))
You would actually get a bit of shock. The proffessionals dont earn anything like what some of the trades make. But we have the luxury that we generally have better rosters, spend most of our time sat in an office and the longer term career prospects then go up. My boss for example is thinking about leaving for another job that will pay him $400k. He has 18 years experience and so has made his way up from lower salaries. Also, we are not as regimented as mining staff. For me, i could earn a lot more $$$ doing iron ore exploration. Rio are advertising at the moment, but the roster would be 2:1.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

My husband is an electrician and we both consider his current salary as 180k is very very low.

go on....! I'm listening..
unfortunately i'm no good at trades.. thats why i went for science.. all fingers and thumbs me
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats correct of course, but it doesnt necessarily mean that WA boom will last forever ot at least 20 years which will enable all us to buy a pretty house or two.. And we live in WA. It may get difficult if large number of au geologists will start looking for jobs in other places..
Agreed, though we also have the fact that kids arent comming into the industry anymore. I was at a conference about a year ago - actually oil, because i work with a lot of geophysics, anyway the boss of Shell was there and he pointed out that if every single UK geology grad who qualified the following year went to work for Shell, it wouldnt fill their graduate requirements.

I dont think the WA boom will last forever and i will probably move countries again sometime in the future. But for me and more importantly my wife we love that aspect of my work. We have regular discussions on "where next". I fancy Canda, but she isnt keen on the cold so i suspect it will be back to somewhere in Asia, though the South Pacific is an option
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

You would actually get a bit of shock. The proffessionals dont earn anything like what some of the trades make. But we have the luxury that we generally have better rosters, spend most of our time sat in an office and the longer term career prospects then go up. My boss for example is thinking about leaving for another job that will pay him $400k. He has 18 years experience and so has made his way up from lower salaries. Also, we are not as regimented as mining staff. For me, i could earn a lot more $$$ doing iron ore exploration. Rio are advertising at the moment, but the roster would be 2:1.
I know I will never make as much as my husbAND makes or especially as he is going to make as he leaves this low paid job for better money.

around 100k or a bit more with a time will suit me perfectly.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:16 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

what Weebie doesnt seem to get is that geologists don't just do exploration work - there are LOTS of other avenues in geology - my hubby soley did a geology degree at uni but as I said he currently works in contaminated land projects and as long as there are petrol stations and people building etc..... there will always be a need for this eg - bus station has huge fuel leak and the bore water has been contaminated and needs cleaning up - my hubbies the man!!! He also does heaps of other projects too and yes if you know all these so called out off work geos then send them to my hubby as my poor hubby is very overworked due to lack of staff......... before this he was a geotech engineer and is thinking about doing a Masters in Engineering (if he ever gets time to study as he has been too busy the last 6 years)

Laven - bloody hell 180k for an electrician!!!! maybe he should forget the Geo/enviro and do a trade if electricians are getting paid that!!! My uncle is an electritian has been for over 50 years and he gets no where near that - maybe around 70k I don't think you should worry too much about being out of work if your hubby is bringing home money like that, I would just go where your passion takes you, we could live a very nice life on that between us
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:20 am

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I know I will never make as much as my husbAND makes or especially as he is going to make as he leaves this low paid job for better money.

around 100k or a bit more with a time will suit me perfectly.
LOW PAID!!!! $180k That is NOT a low wage
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

blimey.. i thought i was doing very well on $115 - $135K Kiwi.. but seeing all these number.. i've just been fooling myself..

I do like the idea of working smarter not harder.. so if the extra 50K for a trade involves allot of pain.. count me out ... not withstanding i cant do trades at all.. DIY to me is.. earning more money at work to pay for someone else..

I'm quite comfortable with my lack of knowledge of power tools

but thanks everyone for the lively discussion.. next project for me is to get over to OZ and have some fun before i get to old.. oh and a small discussion with the wife.."we might be moving a little further than you thought next year!"
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:23 am

Agreed, though we also have the fact that kids arent comming into the industry anymore. I was at a conference about a year ago - actually oil, because i work with a lot of geophysics, anyway the boss of Shell was there and he pointed out that if every single UK geology grad who qualified the following year went to work for Shell, it wouldnt fill their graduate requirements.

I dont think the WA boom will last forever and i will probably move countries again sometime in the future. But for me and more importantly my wife we love that aspect of my work. We have regular discussions on "where next". I fancy Canda, but she isnt keen on the cold so i suspect it will be back to somewhere in Asia, though the South Pacific is an option
I also fancy Canada next too........getting itchy feet now just need to convince hubby too though, seeing as he will be the one who has to get the job etc...
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

i hear the holiday entitlement isnt to flash in Canada ( wild unsupported statement..!)

we thought about it for a bit.. visited.. heard things like that.. and ended up in NZ

but Canada was very nice
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:27 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
what Weebie doesnt seem to get is that geologists don't just do exploration work - there are LOTS of other avenues in geology - my hubby soley did a geology degree at uni but as I said he currently works in contaminated land projects and as long as there are petrol stations and people building etc..... there will always be a need for this eg - bus station has huge fuel leak and the bore water has been contaminated and needs cleaning up - my hubbies the man!!! He also does heaps of other projects too and yes if you know all these so called out off work geos then send them to my hubby as my poor hubby is very overworked due to lack of staff......... before this he was a geotech engineer and is thinking about doing a Masters in Engineering (if he ever gets time to study as he has been too busy the last 6 years)

Laven - bloody hell 180k for an electrician!!!! maybe he should forget the Geo/enviro and do a trade if electricians are getting paid that!!! My uncle is an electritian has been for over 50 years and he gets no where near that - maybe around 70k I don't think you should worry too much about being out of work if your hubby is bringing home money like that, I would just go where your passion takes you, we could live a very nice life on that between us
No I do understand Geos do lots of work. What you don't understnad is that there will be a period when the economy will drop again and when it does no one wants a 50 year old geo. Thats Historic proof/reality of being a geologist here in Australia. Then your partner and maybe you will be heading overseas. Very few original Eighties Geos still work in Australia as they don't want to risk working here for long periods of time. Also very few Aussie geos would get out of bed for under 100k a year like I said its a basic wage here in Perth not just in Mining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.