Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

General info needed

General info needed

Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

jonnyfletch is an unknown quantity at this point
Question General info needed

I just need some information, moving to australia soon.

What is the legal age to drink/smoke/drive

Bugs and that including snakes n stuff that could harm you, are they around a pain?

does pretty much everyone have a pool? or one near it.

any laws that are different to english laws? like really different.

Thanks please get back to me.

Cheers!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:11 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General info needed

Originally Posted by jonnyfletch

Bugs and that including snakes n stuff that could harm you, are they around a pain?

Cheers!

yes you spend half your like in a protective net tent

most have 2
a pool and a spa

illegal to speak english on the streets i suggest you take lessons in australian
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that, anybody with any real answers, i can not believe its 12.

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:18 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, anybody with any real answers, i can not believe its 12.

Thanks
sorry but what did you expect ???

your first post, a list of i want to knows

no introduction etc
who are you johhny ?? where are you off too ?? what do you do for aliving ??

if you started a conversation in any social gathering the way of your first post you would be ignored so why would it be different here ??

lets start again
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

lol sorrry, i just needed some quick information!

im jonny, from cheadle, manchester, 18 years old.

Moving to australia in november, mum got a job. moving to brisbane, already into QLD Roar!

Im just interested in information for my age group, like drink age etc. any help?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:26 pm
Worongary

lol sorrry, i just needed some quick information!

im jonny, from cheadle, manchester, 18 years old.

Moving to australia in november, mum got a job. moving to brisbane, already into QLD Roar!

Im just interested in information for my age group, like drink age etc. any help?
kids learn to drive at 16 ( i think it use to be earlier but the laws just about to change )
drinking mmm you know i dont know but i assume 18
( other will say if i`m wrong )

bugs n snakes yes they are here but you hav eto go looking for sankes
mossies on the other hand depend on the area in which you live ie near fresh water etc

pool ownership is 30% where we live in the goldcaost

laws are based on the english system and as such are very similar

regards steve
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

thanks steve, much appreciated.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:00 pm
Banned

lizard of oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers!
Regarding snakes and spiders, no one has been killed by a venomous spider bite in OZ in 30 years and around 3 people per year are killed by snake bites, usually by people who try to kill or pick up a snake, around 4 people per year are killed by bee stings in the Uk each year so its not much more dangerous then that. There are deadly animals in OZ but more people are killed in OZ each year from falling trees or being struck by lightning.
Most people in OZ don't have pools but we probably have more backyard pools then anyother country beacuse of the warm weather and most people live on quarter acre blocks and therefore can fit one in.
THe legal age to drink is 18, l think smoking varies in different states
The legal system is based on teh British system so its very similar but some difference.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Thats excellent, thanks alot. really.

is the nightlife any good round brisbane? thanks
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jonny

I am within walking distance from you, in Gatley and I too am off to Brisbane.

I fell in love with the place when I went there on honeymoon and I also have the bonus of having a few friends that already live there.

I know if had had the option of living in Cheadle or Brisbane when I was 18 I would certainly have gone for Brisbane.

You'll have a ball!!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

lol cheers mate, ive always decided to go to australia but mates are always like "what if you dont like it, wont you miss your mates, what if u dont make mates" and all that, and it does make you think.

but im sure it will be good, my mum always says its not like a big holiday but i reckon it would be! haha
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

lol cheers mate, ive always decided to go to australia but mates are always like "what if you dont like it, wont you miss your mates, what if u dont make mates" and all that, and it does make you think.

but im sure it will be good, my mum always says its not like a big holiday but i reckon it would be! haha

It won't be for your Mum, but you're 18, so life is like a holiday at your age
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steve`o

yes you spend half your like in a protective net tent

most have 2
a pool and a spa

illegal to speak english on the streets i suggest you take lessons in australian
Sounds like you have never been to OZ before, no one has protective nets or spends half their life in them except maybe some people in northern tropical part of oz might sleep in them , l don't know.
ln summer in some parts of OZ flies and mossies can be annoying, in winter there are'nt any, depends where you live, some parts of oz almost no flies or mossies some parts there are plenty.
People in OZ don't worry about dangerous creatures they only kill around 10 people a year compared to 2,000 killed in car accidents a year, thats the real danger,

Last edited by lizard of oz; Jun 20th 2007 at 11:31 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:53 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard of oz
Sounds like you have never been to OZ before, no one has protective nets or spends half their life in them except maybe some people in northern tropical part of oz might sleep in them , l don't know.
ln summer in some parts of OZ flies and mossies can be annoying, in winter there are'nt any, depends where you live, some parts of oz almost no flies or mossies some parts there are plenty.
People in OZ don't worry about dangerous creatures they only kill around 10 people a year compared to 2,000 killed in car accidents a year, thats the real danger,
umm

sorry to have to rain on your parade

but Steve is actually living in Oz at present and was pulling his leg a bit
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by asher
umm

sorry to have to rain on your parade

but Steve is actually living in Oz at present and was pulling his leg a bit
If you spend everyday of your life wrestling with crocodiles and snakes and swimming with stingrays like steve irwin obviously you have a high chance of being killed by a dangerous creature, but the average person in the street living a normal life in OZ the chance of being killed by a dangerous creature in one in millions and nothing to worry about.

Last edited by lizard of oz; Jun 21st 2007 at 12:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.