Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

General Cost Of Living In Perth

General Cost Of Living In Perth

Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice
Default General Cost Of Living In Perth

Hi folks

Can anyone give me an idea of how much household bills add up to on a monthly basis for the following for a 4x2. Hoping to rent then buy/

gas
water
electricity
Do they pay our equivalent of council tax

Many thanks.

Carol
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Cost Of Living In Perth

Originally Posted by carolwilk34
Hi folks

Can anyone give me an idea of how much household bills add up to on a monthly basis for the following for a 4x2. Hoping to rent then buy/

gas
water
electricity
Do they pay our equivalent of council tax

Many thanks.

Carol

gas - About $50 if you use it for heating only, hardly any in summer though
water - just paid $450 for about three months
electricity - just paid $190 for three months
Do they pay our equivalent of council tax - yes, don't know what it is as I'm renting
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:09 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Do they pay our equivalent of council tax - yes, don't know what it is as I'm renting
Rates are around the $800 per ann mark Renth, which is a heap better than $3000 living on the edge of the new forest :scared:

The water charges seem to make up for that though
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Thanks Guys

I'm surprised at the $150 per month for water charges, just wanted to do a quick calculation to see if we can actually afford to come to perth. No point getting there and realising cost of living is much more expensive than you first thought.

Carol
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:01 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Thats a huge bloody leak you have there. Most water usage is 6 monthly, r u sure yours was only 3 months?
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Our last electric bill was for $300 :scared: . Bit high there, but then again we are ALL electric, so we didnt get a gas bill. That includes the spa, the garden lights, the water feature that runs a pump most of the day, and both my boys are always in their own rooms with the lights/tv/playstation all on the go!!!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:52 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

We are a family of 6 and it costs me $1200 a week and thats before the Mrs goes shopping for shoes, shoes and shoes and going out etc.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 2:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Thats a huge bloody leak you have there. Most water usage is 6 monthly, r u sure yours was only 3 months?
Yeah, maybe it is 6 months
Old Jun 10th 2006, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Angelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=carolwilk34]Thanks Guys

I'm surprised at the $150 per month for water charges, just wanted to do a quick calculation to see if we can actually afford to come to perth. No point getting there and realising cost of living is much more expensive than you first thought.

Hi Carol
Cost of living Eh?-depends on So much really
rent-check out www.REIWA.com.au for the suburbs you want-very low vacancy rates at the moment-but something always comes along-dont stress about that
electricity-approx every 62-65 days you get a bill mine approx 200$
water rates are yearly approx 650$ plus usage-mine 300$ this year last year 100$!!
council rates(if you own)this year 968$
gas-every 90 days mine 16$ as I have solar power for hot water-only use gas for cooking
heating by R/C air con (EL)
foxtel-very overrated -basic package 57$/month
AND phone bill a gross 130/month with optus-keep saying im going to change to AAPT!! but I ring UK & friends abroad a lot
monthly broadband is 29-39$ depending on your usage
might be better deals out there-Im probably a bad example
hope this helps a bit
dont forget insurances,car tax & ins (we have smaller,older economical car-huge gas guzzlers are tempting but you need 4 wheels to get you from A-B,a "keeping-up-with -the jones-mobile" impresses no-one here-and lets face it they arent paying your bills-you are!!)
Youll enjoy hospital work here in WA-everyone is so helpful & friendly & within no time youll run into someone who was in your nursing set in 19-kerplunk!! everyone does!-check out www.jobs.wa.gov.au for government nurses posts.
costs based on property 4X2 with pool North of River
very best of luck with your move
ange