Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

General Aviation in Perth

General Aviation in Perth

Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:03 pm
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default General Aviation in Perth

Does anyone here fly in Perth? I've seen the 2 obvious airfields (Perth Internation and Joondeloop - excuse the spelling, typing off the top of my head) , but was wondering if there were any others?

Also interested if anyone operates any aircraft from there own property?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 6:25 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Aviation in Perth

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Does anyone here fly in Perth? I've seen the 2 obvious airfields (Perth Internation and Joondeloop - excuse the spelling, typing off the top of my head) , but was wondering if there were any others?

Lots of small aircraft seem to operate from Jandakot airport (down near armadale way)
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Try Jandekot, not far from Perth Domestic it is the biggest GA airport in Perth, think CASA are a bit tight on allowing folks to operate from own property unless you are remote, then I think its got to be a licenced strip.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:50 pm

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Druid
Try Jandekot, not far from Perth Domestic it is the biggest GA airport in Perth, think CASA are a bit tight on allowing folks to operate from own property unless you are remote, then I think its got to be a licenced strip.
That's a shame. I was hoping to operate a helicopter from a large back garden (2 acres or so). Guess I'll have to check up on the air authorities website.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:43 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Smile Re: General Aviation in Perth

That's a shame. I was hoping to operate a helicopter from a large back garden (2 acres or so). Guess I'll have to check up on the air authorities website.

Can't give you too much info on WA, but know of quite a few private airstrips (aside from those on stations) around the SE Qld area. In fact, a friend has one in Cooroy, near Gympie (just north of Brisbane).

Here's a few links to get you going:

Jandakot Airport

Perth ATC listeners site

Australian Aviation Webring

The Aussie Aviator

If you're a pilot/aircraft owner, please think hard about giving up some time to Angel Flight.

Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Can't give you too much info on WA, but know of quite a few private airstrips (aside from those on stations) around the SE Qld area. In fact, a friend has one in Cooroy, near Gympie (just north of Brisbane).
And there is a town in NSW (Temora, I think) and another somewhere in QLD that have housing blocks backing onto an airfield - where you CAN park your aeroplane in your backyard and just taxi out to the strip.

Bit like an aerial version of those canal developments where you park your boat at the bottom of the garden.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:58 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Jandakot is one of the busiest airports in Australia in terms of flights in and out...... I should know I watch planes land and take off every day..... from my house
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:02 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

You might not have a problem with CASA regarding flying from your own property but I think you'll need council permission too.

CASA Regulations on Aerodromes here: http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/1998casr/139/index.htm
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:03 am

Thanks for all the replies. The Angel Flight site has certainly got my interest.

Jandakot does seem to have a huge flying school with several hundred aircraft based there. I'd imagine it is far busier than Perth international. Does it create much noise in the neighbouring suburbs?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:25 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. The Angel Flight site has certainly got my interest.

Jandakot does seem to have a huge flying school with several hundred aircraft based there. I'd imagine it is far busier than Perth international. Does it create much noise in the neighbouring suburbs?
It's much much busier then Perth International, I know Singapore Airlines train their pilots at Jandakot..

Not much noise really, the flight path doesn't go over my house.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:46 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

The Angel Flight site has certainly got my interest.
Good onya, mate ...and thanks in advance from those who need it.

Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

OZ Aviator is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a few links to get you going:
Jandakot Airport

Perth ATC listeners site

Australian Aviation Webring

The Aussie Aviator
Just wondering where you heard about the Aussie Aviator. Yes I am the owner of this site. I was just searching Google for sites that mention it and this forum came up.

Glenn
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:51 am
Dismembered Bat

Originally Posted by OZ Aviator
Just wondering where you heard about the Aussie Aviator. Yes I am the owner of this site. I was just searching Google for sites that mention it and this forum came up.

Glenn

OZ Aviator,

That was a link from somewhere! Not sure now. I did an Aussie Google search for youcanlaugh (the original poster) and came up with a few links for him/her which I thought might be of interest. Some of the links I gave, I had bookmarked, but I saw your site, which looked new and of potential interest so gave the link. Hope you don't mind?

youcanlaugh,

While I'm at it, here's a few more Aussie aviation sites from my bookmarks:

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)

AirServices Australia

Civil Aviation Safety Authority Australia

Australian Women Pilots' Association

and one I didn't include before as is mainly relates to the eastern states but has loads of events for aviators:

Aeroclub.com.au

Regarding having your own helipad, it would depend where you were, but the local council would have to approve it and it might also end up before the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), AirServices Australia and/or CASA.

nickyc,

Yes, you can buy residential blocks of land at Temora Aerodrome. The same applies at Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield in Queensland. I'm sure there'd be others too.

Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:43 am
Just Joined

OZ Aviator is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Proofreader

That's fine. I was just wondering thats all. Its good to see that a few people have found the site. It has only been going since February.

Narromine airport also is set up as an air park.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:53 am
Dismembered Bat

Originally Posted by OZ Aviator
Hi Proofreader

That's fine. I was just wondering thats all. Its good to see that a few people have found the site. It has only been going since February.

Narromine airport also is set up as an air park.

Thanks for that OZ Aviator. Your site looks to have good potential - best of luck with it. When I get more time on my hands (currently busy organising things for a return to UK), I'll try to pop in and 'suggest a few links'.

Keep up the good work!